What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

For those who say play Ballenger one or two series...

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Hypothetically, what happens if Ballenger goes in there for those series and out-performs Cody?

What happens if it's a 7-3 game, and Ballenger goes in for one series, leads CU to a touchdown, and then CU is up 10-7? Do we keep him in the game, or stick to the "one series per game" plan?

Ballenger needs to see the playing field. He needs to see it in real game situations. That needs to start this week.

The guy with the hot hand stays in.....

If Cody is lighting it up, maybe you wait on Ballenger. If not, put Ballenger in as a planned substitution.

If Ballenger starts on fire, leave him in, the object is to win....

I think Cody starts the game, and they see how he plays. KU is very good against the run -- so a passing attack is going to be a must if the Buffs want to be competitive.

If Cody can't get the offense moving after two or three possessions- bring in Ballenger. Give him a possession or two to see what he can do. If he moves the team - he stays in.

I think Cody starts the game, and they see how he plays. KU is very good against the run -- so a passing attack is going to be a must if the Buffs want to be competitive.

If Cody can't get the offense moving after two or three possessions- bring in Ballenger. Give him a possession or two to see what he can do. If he moves the team - he stays in.

I agree, but I would be surprised if that's what we see.....

Hypothetically, what happens if Ballenger goes in there for those series and out-performs Cody?

What happens if it's a 7-3 game, and Ballenger goes in for one series, leads CU to a touchdown, and then CU is up 10-7? Do we keep him in the game, or stick to the "one series per game" plan?

Ballenger needs to see the playing field. He needs to see it in real game situations. That needs to start this week.

Stick with the game plan. Until a definite starter is decided on.

Absolutely, if you make the switch then you have to somewhat commit to Ballenger, at least for a few series. And if Ballenger is effective and the offense moves the ball well, then it's a no-brainer that you not only leave him in there, but he is now your starter.

I would like to see Ballenger play more. Every defense has setup for CU to try and beat them with passes over 15-20 yards.

We can't keep making the 3-5 yard pass play and expect the move the ball. I just don't see the arm strenght & accuracty out of Cody to challege anyone in the secondary deep. He might be able to beat a CSewe team, but not the big guys.

He missed at least 2 wide open TD plays against FSU. On one of the missed FG against TX, he had a guy wide open for the TD but was late getting the ball out.

With our hurt O line, I think we really need a mobile QB to help extend plays/drives.

The QB's best friend is a run game. Does not matter if Cody or Matt is QB, if we can't establish a run game our offense will be terrible.

I don't know if we will get the run game going unless we can prove to the defense that we can actually pass the ball longer than 10 yards for consistent completions.

Right now D has 8-9 guys within 4 yards of the line waiting for the run, or to stop the short pass.

This notion that Ballanger come in and play a few series here and there is ridiculous....if there's going to be a change in any manner than play him from snap 1

This notion that Ballanger come in and play a few series here and there is ridiculous....if there's going to be a change in any manner than play him from snap 1

:confused:

Teams do it all the time. Mizzou did with Daniel. Texas did with John Chiles last year. There is nothing wrong with playing Ballenger 2-3 series a game.

:confused:

Teams do it all the time. Mizzou did with Daniel. Texas did with John Chiles last year. There is nothing wrong with playing Ballenger 2-3 series a game.

The trouble I have with it is I want them to play the best player we got from start to finish....if that's Ballanger than play him, if not, then there is a reason he's on the bench.

Also, I think that by inserting him into the mix for a couple plays or series things can get predictable....this is especially true the way our formations and personnel can get very predictable IMO (i.e. Sumler's in we pass, Speedy's in we Run)...I can see Ballanger in, and first play is a long ball, 2nd play is a QB draw...both stopped for nothing cuz it's predictable as hell

I believe Florida won a championship doing it also.

And these comparisons are completely ridiculous because you're talking about rotating 2 QB's that are both great and could play for about any team in the country....I'm pretty sure both Cody & Ballanger could not start on about 3/4 of the teams in the Big 12

The trouble I have with it is I want them to play the best player we got from start to finish....if that's Ballanger than play him, if not, then there is a reason he's on the bench.

Also, I think that by inserting him into the mix for a couple plays or series things can get predictable....this is especially true the way our formations and personnel can get very predictable IMO (i.e. Sumler's in we pass, Speedy's in we Run)...I can see Ballanger in, and first play is a long ball, 2nd play is a QB draw...both stopped for nothing cuz it's predictable as hell

We have to be thinking about the future as well though. There needs to be a true open QB competition next Spring. Unless Ballenger gets some experience this year, that won't happen.

Frankly, the offense needs something to change right now. Ballenger is an unknown commodity right now, so let's take some steps to find out what we have. Like Superior said, Florida won the freaking national title playing two QBs. It is not necessarily an experiment doomed to fail.

And if you're not in favor of playing Ballenger at all, what steps are you in favor of to shake up this offense? Because what we're doing right now is not magically going to get better overnight.

And these comparisons are completely ridiculous because you're talking about rotating 2 QB's that are both great and could play for about any team in the country....I'm pretty sure both Cody & Ballanger could not start on about 3/4 of the teams in the Big 12

The comparisons aren't ridiculous because Matt and Cody are on the same team and I don't think any one on here can say that one is decidedly better than the other right now. Nobody here has said that Matt or Cody would spit time on those teams, just that the teams used 2 QBs to get the young kid experience and it worked.

Well, gee........dont you think?

Chase Daniel
Colt McCoy
Zac Robinson
Robert Griffin
Graham Harrell
Todd Reesing
Josh Freeman (Maybe)
Sam Bradford

How long did it take you to figure that one out? Must be a scout or something....

You just can't throw ballenger in as the starter at kansas.You start cody and throw ballenger in there for a series in each half,see how he responds and performs.

The way it's going now,what do you have to lose? I mean everyone is pushing the time-line back a yearfor challenging to win the north with each loss so, let's look to the future.

Hell,hansen seems to be all the rav,i'm looking forward to seeing him in spring ball again and seeing if he makes the push to start.

The comparisons aren't ridiculous because Matt and Cody are on the same team and I don't think any one on here can say that one is decidedly better than the other right now. Nobody here has said that Matt or Cody would spit time on those teams, just that the teams used 2 QBs to get the young kid experience and it worked.

Ok...I'll buy the argument that it can work...whether our case applies is still up for debate, since the OL/running game situation is a huge factor.

The thing I loved seeing about Matt more than anything this past weekend was he inspired Patrick Williams to go up and make a play. Made me wonder if there are more guys that really just need the opportunity (as in a perfectly thrown pass) to go up and beat the defender and make something happen.

Well, gee........dont you think?

Chase Daniel
Colt McCoy
Zac Robinson
Robert Griffin
Graham Harrell
Todd Reesing
Josh Freeman (Maybe)
Sam Bradford

How long did it take you to figure that one out? Must be a scout or something....

took me 12 seconds to think and type it...I'm definately not a scout...and definately not a jacka$$ either...thanks for your input tho

Ok...I'll buy the argument that it can work...whether our case applies is still up for debate, since the OL/running game situation is a huge factor.

The thing I loved seeing about Matt more than anything this past weekend was he inspired Patrick Williams to go up and make a play. Made me wonder if there are more guys that really just need the opportunity (as in a perfectly thrown pass) to go up and beat the defender and make something happen.

What I liked about Matt is that you couldn't hear an echo of the snap count from the center's ass.

You just can't throw ballenger in as the starter at kansas.You start cody and throw ballenger in there for a series in each half,see how he responds and performs.

The way it's going now,what do you have to lose? I mean everyone is pushing the time-line back a yearfor challenging to win the north with each loss so, let's look to the future.

Hell,hansen seems to be all the rav,i'm looking forward to seeing him in spring ball again and seeing if he makes the push to start.

Well said. I just want to find out what exactly we have in Ballenger. We could actually find out we have some true QB depth, which hasn't been the case in many years.

Well said. I just want to find out what exactly we have in Ballenger. We could actually find out we have some true QB depth, which hasn't been the case in many years.

The detractors of this proposal keep telling me" Have you seen practice?"..."If ballenger was better then he would be playing,he isn't getting it done in practice"

Some guys are "Game day" players and some are "practice" players. I could make a huge list of great practice players at cu over the years who somehow haven't seen the field.

If balleneger comes in and looks bad then you sit him back down. I think cody is the best we have right now but not seeing if any other qb's can get something going for this offense seems strange.

I don't care who starts, I just don't want to see a bunch of batted down passes, rolling out to the right, then throwing left, bad hand-offs, bad communication on the play calling. Proper execution of the plays will go a long way to getting a win.

I don't care who starts, I just don't want to see a bunch of batted down passes, rolling out to the right, then throwing left, bad hand-offs, bad communication on the play calling. Proper execution of the plays will go a long way to getting a win.

:yeahthat:

Too many missed scoring opportunities in the WV and FSU games and in the first half of the UT game. Not that this reflects totally on Cody because there were also missed FG's in that span as well as costly penalties, but the ones listed above certainly fall on him.

Back