What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Forman's Challenge: Bulking up the Buffs

Grayson is an average college game manager

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grayson is better than any pocket QB who has ever played for CU.

Buffs did a good job against him, but that doesn't change reality. Got to give credit where it's due. He's a winner and a talent. Glad to see his back on the way out the college door.

Grayson is an average college game manager

#4 in the nation in passing and led the Rams to the 8th best passing offense (per game yardage) in the country.... Yes, 'Tini, that screams college game manager :rolling_eyes:

my comments on Bibbs are based on my conversations with brian cabral who covered the Chicago area at that time..Bibbs hails from the south suburbs, but had grade and behavior issues. Q..i am not trying to argue anything...

Grayson is better than any pocket QB who has ever played for CU.

Buffs did a good job against him, but that doesn't change reality. Got to give credit where it's due. He's a winner and a talent. Glad to see his back on the way out the college door.
Sorry I don't think he's a NFL level QB and I've never been impressed with him.

#4 in the nation in passing and led the Rams to the 8th best passing offense (per game yardage) in the country.... Yes, 'Tini, that screams college game manager :rolling_eyes:

While playing in the very weak MWC. I've been consistent here, I don't think he's that good.

Harris did have his best year as a senior..partially due to the fact that he stayed relatively healthy- Jack is/was as tough as they come..but in talking with him..he felt he was very vulnerable to being bull rushed as he was underweight and worn down. Forman had his program and was determined to apply it to the OL and DL guys..but one thing Forman missed on tremendously is that both lines, but particularly the OL had no depth what so ever...the starters..nembo, crabb, handler, munyer and harris not only logged all of the minutes in games but never got a break during practice, they took every rep there also...mind you that, like all new staffs, MM and crew wanted to weed out any malcontents from the hawk and embo eras along with vanquishing any non Pac 12 type of kids. "Change the culture" is often the battle cry of any new staff, including the S and C crew...but Forman neglected several components of the equation.
Most D1 teams will run 2 and even 3 O vs D fields during practice...in '13, there was only one O line to go against the first and second string D lines and backers...look back at the roster of OL guys that season...forman neglected to adjust the workload and really messed them up with his edict to tear down prior to rebuilding. Look back at the film for the 2nd half of that season--lethargic and void of big time energy and push. An O line expert like McChesney gets what an Oline or Dline guy goes through...he knows when to push and when to back off a bit...

So what you're saying is, that with the lack of depth Forman was wrong to emphasize an "eliminate injuries, while emphasizing conditioning" approach, over a "let all that useless fat, bulky weight stay in place and see what happens" approach?

And you're dead wrong about the end of season wear down. That, if in fact it occurred, was a result of prior years' lack of conditioning that was too hard to overcome in one off season. But I recall most here observing that MM's first squad was remarkably more capable of staying in a game through 4 quarters, than Water Bottle's over-worked and under-trained, two-quarter wonders.

Teh stoopid is strong with your "highly-prejudiced-against-Forman" commentary.

Sorry I don't think he's a NFL level QB and I've never been impressed with him.

While playing in the very weak MWC. I've been consistent here, I don't think he's that good.

I'm with tini on this; Grayson was not much against decent competition. Sure, he could hit wide-open WRs 10-15 yds. downfield, what game manager QB can't?

Brian Bosworth was a "killer" in post season All Star games too.

So what you're saying is, that with the lack of depth Forman was wrong to emphasize an "eliminate injuries, while emphasizing conditioning" approach, over a "let all that useless fat, bulky weight stay in place and see what happens" approach? wiz..you are mixing/confusing two different themes here..my point about the lack of depth was that the Oline had 2 subs that season..they were worn down not only by forman's cross fit type of training but also by having to take all of the reps in practice vs the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team D front 7s...nothing left in the tank come game day...I don't know if you have kids or coached any sport at any level..but you wear them down day in and day out..guess what...nothing left in the tank come game day...not a tough concept to grasp for most

And you're dead wrong about the end of season wear down. That, if in fact it occurred, was a result of prior years' lack of conditioning that was too hard to overcome in one off season. But I recall most here observing that MM's first squad was remarkably more capable of staying in a game through 4 quarters, than Water Bottle's over-worked and under-trained, two-quarter wonders. again...not to confuse you with facts..look back at MM's comments prior to this year's ASU game...he directly spoke about the ASU contest in 2013 and how the buffs were worn down due to various reasons..he went so far as to say they have to adjust how they work guys during the season...also..a news flash..a team, including OL and DL guys can get into game shape in an 8-12 week period. the condition of the '13 squad had nothing to do with the previous season..again, your lack of knowledge on this basic stuff is astounding

Teh stoopid is strong with your "highly-prejudiced-against-Forman" commentary. I cant quite decipher what you are trying to spew here...

I caught about 15 minutes of the senior bowl which was played this past Saturday...thought of forman's folly to have the O line guys over the past couple of years play at 280-285 lbs range. Jack Harris at 6'6" and 285 lbs ? All I could do is shake my head after looking at the rosters. It sounds like the McChesney idea is not going to happen...a real shame for the OL guys.

Ok, I have to disagree with you here on three points:

1. It's unreasonable to compare Sr. Bowl rosters with that of one college team. Those guys are universally older than any one team's OL unit, so their bodies are more mature and they naturally have more bulk
  2. Perhaps Jack Harris played at 285, but you constantly repeat the point about Forman pushing players to get down to "280-285". So far as I can tell by the CU depth charts, CU only had 2 lineman on the 2 deep this year at or below 290: Sam Kronshage, a RS Freshman who saw 82 snaps on offense, and Mark Mustoe, who saw 8 snaps on offense. Most of the other OL played at the 295-305 range.
  3. To use a "one size fits all" mantra about what OL should weigh is asinine. People want to compare us to our peers: look at Oregon, who led the Pac in rushing, offense (scoring and yardage). They have no OL over 310 lbs in their 2-deep, and started 5 guys at or under 300 lbs. Then there's Stanford, a "power rushing team" who starts 3 guys under 300 lbs. and who started one guy in Harbaugh's time there over 300 lbs (DeCastro).

There are probably legitimate criticisms of Forman and his program. Not being an S&C expert nor having any familiarity with his methods, I couldn't tell you what they are. But to focus on some argument (which is likely a straw man, given the above) that he's forcing the OL to play too light is weird.

To add to #1 the guys have the Senior Bowl have also been training for the combine and their pro days for months, nearly everyone gains a lot of weight during the process

Denver..i see what you are saying..but one key point is that the "roster"weights are usually taken, depending on the school at the end of may and certainly no later than the end of june to get the roster and program templates to the printer..they don't revisit the weights at all past july 4th...my point..which I will get off of, is that during the '13 season..the OL and most of the DL guys simply were worn down after the first month of the season...most had shed 20-25 lbs from the start of august thru the end of September...harder to do as a 40yr old ! But very easy to do as a 21-22 year old. the other thing that one should consider is that most Ol and Dl guys gain weight during the season as most teams do not do as much running in practice during the season and look to preserve energy and bodies for the games on Saturdays..the '13 season was a [un] perfect storm including no depth and a new 2-4 year master plan in the S and C department.

point taken..as a newbie I have to learn the ropes ! will improve

When you demonstrate that you're able to multi-quote, embed a tweet and NSFW hide a portion of your post... that's when we send you the AllBuffs decoder ring and you know you've arrived. :lol:

Ok, I have to disagree with you here on three points:

1. It's unreasonable to compare Sr. Bowl rosters with that of one college team. Those guys are universally older than any one team's OL unit, so their bodies are more mature and they naturally have more bulk
  2. Perhaps Jack Harris played at 285, but you constantly repeat the point about Forman pushing players to get down to "280-285". So far as I can tell by the CU depth charts, CU only had 2 lineman on the 2 deep this year at or below 290: Sam Kronshage, a RS Freshman who saw 82 snaps on offense, and Mark Mustoe, who saw 8 snaps on offense. Most of the other OL played at the 295-305 range.
  3. To use a "one size fits all" mantra about what OL should weigh is asinine. People want to compare us to our peers: look at Oregon, who led the Pac in rushing, offense (scoring and yardage). They have no OL over 310 lbs in their 2-deep, and started 5 guys at or under 300 lbs. Then there's Stanford, a "power rushing team" who starts 3 guys under 300 lbs. and who started one guy in Harbaugh's time there over 300 lbs (DeCastro).

There are probably legitimate criticisms of Forman and his program. Not being an S&C expert nor having any familiarity with his methods, I couldn't tell you what they are. But to focus on some argument (which is likely a straw man, given the above) that he's forcing the OL to play too light is weird.

I think his point is more about veteran linemen who didn't have a RS year and a bench year in front of them to afford being broken down and rebuilt. Those guys needed to be trained for the "now" rather than put into a one size fits all philosophy of team S&C.

Denver..i see what you are saying..but one key point is that the "roster"weights are usually taken, depending on the school at the end of may and certainly no later than the end of june to get the roster and program templates to the printer..they don't revisit the weights at all past july 4th...my point..which I will get off of, is that during the '13 season..the OL and most of the DL guys simply were worn down after the first month of the season...most had shed 20-25 lbs from the start of august thru the end of September...harder to do as a 40yr old ! But very easy to do as a 21-22 year old. the other thing that one should consider is that most Ol and Dl guys gain weight during the season as most teams do not do as much running in practice during the season and look to preserve energy and bodies for the games on Saturdays..the '13 season was a [un] perfect storm including no depth and a new 2-4 year master plan in the S and C department.

Ok, I see what you are saying. Point taken, especially in context of your statements about OL personnel numbers (or lack thereof) for the last 2 years.

The bright side: If this was part of a 2-4 year master plan, then we should start seeing gains next season!

I think his point is more about veteran linemen who didn't have a RS year and a bench year in front of them to afford being broken down and rebuilt. Those guys needed to be trained for the "now" rather than put into a one size fits all philosophy of team S&C.

Understood, but I don't know that I could wrap my head around the logistical implementation of how that would work. If we buy that Forman's S&C master plan involves a 3-4 year buildup process, putting veteran OL directly into year 3 or 4 of the plan when Forman came over might not have the intended effects without the base established in year 1 or 2. It seems to me that it would almost necessitate a 3rd, completely separate program for the veteran OL from the last regime. Doesn't seem practical to me. But again, I'm not an S&C guy.

When you demonstrate that you're able to multi-quote, embed a tweet and NSFW hide a portion of your post... that's when we send you the AllBuffs decoder ring and you know you've arrived. :lol:

Drink your Ovaltine!

Back