1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former Buff OT Shane Cook - "I Want my Passion to Drive my Career"

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 8, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

[​IMG]

Shane Cook leaves no doubt that he loved playing football despite the heartache that often accompanied the victory.

There was the satisfaction of five years as a University of Colorado Buffalo offensive lineman. And the thrill of being picked up by the Buffalo Bills, followed by the disappointment of being sent home his first day at camp because of a loose ACL.

There was the adventure of playing for two teams in NFL Europe, the excitement of being picked up by the New Orleans Saints and the heartbreak of being dropped because of a pectoral muscle injury in camp.

But at the end of it all, Cook knows that football gave him an advantage that helped him get through medical school.

“It gives you a good work ethic,” says Cook, who has dropped 70 pounds from his 6-foot-6 frame since his playing days. “It especially helped in third year when you learn how hard it is to be a doctor. You don’t get a lot of sleep; you put in a lot of hours.

“You can see that time in two ways: It can be an obstacle, or you can work harder and have a more positive attitude. Football made me a hard worker. I was tired, but I knew how to push through it. I worked hard and learned as much as I could.“

Read more...

Originally posted by Maximus Buff on the Rivals board with the text below, I thought this was something that was definitely worth sharing.

Allsome!

2. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

"In one more piece of evidence that offensive linemen really ARE the smartest guys on the field, "

Man walks on moon, Japan surrenders, FDR defeats Herbert Hoover...

Waldo likes this.
  3. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

gtfoh...

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

...the earth is flat?

5. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

Jim Hanson, 'Nuff said.

6. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I'm not sure really smart guys post here about their American Idol Experience....

Just sayin' :smile2:

7. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

how much fat are the linemen carrying in college? 70lbs seems like alot of weight to drop

8. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I've lost 70-80 from my "peak." There is definitely some fat but a lot of muscle as well. I will tell you, it's just not healthy to carry 300+ beyond when you have to. That said, there aren't any 250# lineman playing D-1 football. It was a lot more fun putting it on but I feel a hell of a lot better without it.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think that's pretty typical of former linemen who stay in shape instead of going to fat. Much too hard on your knees and heart to carry 300lbs around, even if you've got the frame to carry it well.

10. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

could nate solder drop 70lbs with his fat ratio?

11. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

His fat ratio is pretty low, so probably not. However, after playing days he would drop both fat and muscle, so yes, even at 6'9", 230-250 would be reasonable and in shape. Mark Schlereth is an example of a lineman that dropped alot after he was done witht he Broncos. While Shannon Sharpe doesn't look like he has changed a great deal. Wonder how Gary Zimmerman is doing now?