What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Former KU QB Jordan Webb considering transfer to CU

Hirschman was dominant in last year's spring game, Wood sucked in UT's spring game...end of story. :rolling_eyes:

Nailed it here. After all, the Spring Game is THE ****ing most important game of the year.

I'm not a giant fan of the move because we have so little space in our upcoming class already and have a number of positions that have to be addressed in recruiting for the team to be successfull.

At the same time I wonder a couple of things.

For those here who are critical of Webb (can't throw, to small, etc. etc.) are you assuming that the staff didn't take the time to evaluate if this kid could contribute at this level.

Also is the entire backup QB position a disaster. Dorman has by all reports been a major dissapointment, Schrock has been a pleasant surprise for a walk-on but he is still a walk-on, Dillon gives reason to be excited for the future but even if he didn't need to bulk up significantly and develop strength he would be a true freshman, since he is looked at as the future it is best to put another year between him and Wood.

This all means that if something happens and Wood can't play you are left with Hirschman as your only back-up who is ready to play meaningful down. The same Hirschman who has broken both feet in the last year and who plays a style that usually ends up with him getting hit and hit hard frequently.

To me this move means a couple of things. One is that the coaches believe that we are at a point were we can be winning meaningful games and they don't want to risk playing a back-up who they don't think can compete in meaningful games. It also means that they have a plan for Dillon and don't want to pull a Hawkins and destroy that plan by burning his eligibility without reason.

It may also mean that they are not sure that Nick's feet will ever let him come back and be a dependable player for them. Feet are medically a very sensitive issue. We put all our weight on a bunch of small bones that have to work together perfectly not to hurt or to put enough strain on another bone to break it. Knee injuries get a lot more attention but plenty of careers have been destroyed by bad feet. The coaches may have seen enough with Hirschman's feet problems to decide that action needs to be taken to protect themselves.

One other point, Mtn, is that perhaps the staff expects some more attrition after spring or during the summer. Could be why they don't seem concerned giving out a schollie when there will be so very few to spend next recruiting cycle.

One other point, Mtn, is that perhaps the staff expects some more attrition after spring or during the summer. Could be why they don't seem concerned giving out a schollie when there will be so very few to spend next recruiting cycle.

Good point although unless the additional attrition is at QB we will still be a bit heavy at that position.

Put it this way: if we do not see more attrition, we are in trouble.

Really the only negative I can see bringing in a QB with experience to add depth is that we've got 6 QBs on the roster, but I'd rather feel comfortable with our QB depth than worry about too many QBs - that usually takes care of itself through attrition.

Honestly, I'm more critical of the Burnette and Dorman scholarships (which at the moment appear to be big whiffs) than the Webb scholarship.

Really the only negative I can see bringing in a QB with experience to add depth is that we've got 6 QBs on the roster, but I'd rather feel comfortable with our QB depth than worry about too many QBs - that usually takes care of itself through attrition.

Honestly, I'm more critical of the Burnette and Dorman scholarships (which at the moment appear to be big whiffs) than the Webb scholarship.

Good post. I agree that the QB situation will work itself out more than other positions because guys want to play and the current QBs on the roster do not appear to have any potential to play other positions, so something will give.

The Burnette and Dorman scholarships do appear to be big whiffs.

Perhaps it's semantics, but I wouldn't call Burnette a whiff. He provided depth, competition, and had game experience. He took a scholarship for only a year when it was doubtful we would've replaced him with a high level recruit. To me, that's playing the numbers game well, even if he never contributed on the field.

Dorman signing has always been odd. If the coaches knew what they had in shrock, I doubt Dorman would've been considered.

Dorman signing has always been odd. If the coaches knew what they were getting in Dorman, I doubt Dorman would've been considered.

fify

This may have been a case of what happens when you put together a recruiting class at the last minute. Hawkins left the program almost void of talent at the QB (and lots of other positions,) Embree and Co. had a very short time to put together a class to fill certain needs and had the dissadvantage of coming from the NFL so they didn't have the personal database of players and hadn't had time to establish the contacts.

They get a call from they guy who gave CU Koy Detmer (and BYU Ty Detmer) who says "I've got a kid you should look at." and jump on the opportunity. Turns out that had they spent more time on the decision they probably wouldn't have offered but they didn't have more time so we get what we get.

I wonder if Red Dirt isn't on to something and we see Dorman counseled out of the program to a place he can expect to see the field.

Interesting discussion out of this signing. I would add that following the DII era I am content with the Webb signing. Knowing that there is one more able body between the starting job and prematurely burning Dillon's redshirt on a whim is all I could ask for. I do think we are looking at 1 or 2 QBs leaving before the fall season starts...guessing that Dorman will need to show some strides in the next few weeks - but would imagine we will all get a look at the spring game before anything happens there. Too bad if the Hirschman injury prevents him from the same opportunity, his position and future may well be determined by the play of others before fall rolls around.

fify

This may have been a case of what happens when you put together a recruiting class at the last minute. Hawkins left the program almost void of talent at the QB (and lots of other positions,) Embree and Co. had a very short time to put together a class to fill certain needs and had the dissadvantage of coming from the NFL so they didn't have the personal database of players and hadn't had time to establish the contacts.

They get a call from they guy who gave CU Koy Detmer (and BYU Ty Detmer) who says "I've got a kid you should look at." and jump on the opportunity. Turns out that had they spent more time on the decision they probably wouldn't have offered but they didn't have more time so we get what we get.

I wonder if Red Dirt isn't on to something and we see Dorman counseled out of the program to a place he can expect to see the field.

I wasn't really gonna go that far, but I really don't disagree with your last statement. If he's a competitive kid and really wants to see the field (soon), he'll need to improve very quickly. If not, he might do better somewhere else.

Understand that I'm not bashing this young man in any way. He chose to be a Buff and I hope he does well. Facts are facts -- right now, he's buried deep in the depth chart. It's gonna be a real uphill battle to see the field.

Perhaps it's semantics, but I wouldn't call Burnette a whiff. He provided depth, competition, and had game experience. He took a scholarship for only a year when it was doubtful we would've replaced him with a high level recruit. To me, that's playing the numbers game well, even if he never contributed on the field.

Dorman signing has always been odd. If the coaches knew what they had in shrock, I doubt Dorman would've been considered.

An 11th hour JC transfer that never sees a snap and is behind a true freshman walkon on the depth chart is a whiff to me. With him leaving the program, that helps the numbers game, but that would have been a 2 year scholarship wasted IMO.

When was the last time we went a whole season and didn't have to sit the starting QB due to an injury or something else? Pre-Barnette?

For the first time in a long time I feel like we will have a back up that we can send on the field that doesn't make me cringe. That's what Webb brings.

Last edited:
As I've pointed out ad-nauseam on here, bigbang has a relationship with Hirschman. What exactly it is, I don't know. Webb should prove to be a very solid back-up. In fact, I can envision a scenario where Wood gets hurt late in the first half of a game and Webb's running ability completely throws the other team off guard. Dorman was a complete whiff. Here is hoping for a transfer.

As I've pointed out ad-nauseam on here, bigbang has a relationship with Hirschman. What exactly it is, I don't know. Webb should prove to be a very solid back-up. In fact, I can envision a scenario where Wood gets hurt late in the first half of a game and Webb's running ability completely throws the other team off guard. Dorman was a complete whiff. Here is hoping for a transfer.

I think the first transfer we see is Hirshman.

I would hate to see Hirsch transfer. He has a nice arm. Sure he has some work to do but he is only a Soph.

He never seriously challenged Hansen last season and was the 2nd stringer by default. With Wood and now Webb, we do not lose much in terms of experience if he leaves either, especially since he is missing this spring.

Think of a depth chart that looks like this in the fall of 2013:

-Wood
-Webb
-Dillon/Shrock
-2013 recruit (redshirting)
-Dorman

Looks pretty good to me. Basically assures us that we are starting guys with at least two years in the program going forward (i.e, redshirt sophomores or older).

It may not be him, but at least one QB likely will because six QBs is not a sustainable number.

With what I have heard about Schrock he may end up transferring in order to get a shot at a starting spot. I wouldn't blame him for that. Hirshman could retire due to medical reasons if his feet are such an issue. If he contintues to have these type of injuries he will not make it long on the field. Ever.

With what I have heard about Schrock he may end up transferring in order to get a shot at a starting spot. I wouldn't blame him for that. Hirshman could retire due to medical reasons if his feet are such an issue. If he contintues to have these type of injuries he will not make it long on the field. Ever.

I don't think Schrock will transfer. Did he have any FCS or FBS offers out of high school?

I don't think Schrock will transfer. Did he have any FCS or FBS offers out of high school?

Creatin, what the F does his offers out of High School have to do with a transfer?

1. He's established himself as a guy who was looked over
2. He's likely more interested in the right opportunity rather than the scholarship (ahem, dude has some cash).

Schrock is not likely to transfer at this juncture in my opinion as he's got 4 to play 4 and the two guys ahead of him have 2 and 3 left and have yet to prove themselves. Dillon is a complete unknown.

One thing about Embree, he's not married to his scholarship guys. You produce or you don't. The staff likes Schrock a lot, I assure you.

Creatin, what the F does his offers out of High School have to do with a transfer?

1. He's established himself as a guy who was looked over
2. He's likely more interested in the right opportunity rather than the scholarship (ahem, dude has some cash).

Schrock is not likely to transfer at this juncture in my opinion as he's got 4 to play 4 and the two guys ahead of him have 2 and 3 left and have yet to prove themselves. Dillon is a complete unknown.

One thing about Embree, he's not married to his scholarship guys. You produce or you don't. The staff likes Schrock a lot, I assure you.
I was the one saying Schrock won't transfer, not sure why you're jumping on me and according to Rivals, he loves CU and we were his dream school.

For the record, I have been afforded a lookie-see to some closed practices in the past 7 months and I cannot tell you anything about Wood other than he's big and has a strong arm. Seems like the leader going into spring ball over Hirsh, but I believe Embree that there was a competition to be had and there still will be one. He's not a finished product. He did NOT play high level high school football in Texas and has zero college experience.

So I think annoiting him the QB of the future is a bit ridiculous. Pro teams miss on QB draft choices all the time so it's more than a bit tricky to annoit Wood the QB of the future so early. BG Brooks told me he looks great. Well, BG also told me that D.Scott would win the Heisman...

I think Buff fans should keep an open mind. Job could go to any of the three in my opinion.

Back