What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Former Michigan WR Toney Clemons transferring to CU

So, pardon me if I'm, like, great. A guy who couldn't make it on a crap assed Michigan team is coming here and won't play until 2010. Yipee. Don't get me wrong. I love to see kids pick CU. But...oh well. Great to see him pick us.
Sometimes, you can be a crusty old fart.

So, pardon me if I'm, like, great. A guy who couldn't make it on a crap assed Michigan team is coming here and won't play until 2010. Yipee. Don't get me wrong. I love to see kids pick CU. But...oh well. Great to see him pick us.
first of all he commited to lloyd carr 2nd richrods system is entirely different from anything lloyd carr had

Not sure we can exactly be picky at WR right now.

Not sure we can exactly be picky at WR right now.

No $hit, who cares if it's 2010, that is basically a Damn good wr recruit ready to play. As you stated earlier, simmons gets in and you have smith,simas,simmons,darden,ussery and clemons. Great mix and the size in the red zone would be a big plus.

I actually think it is better he has a year to get adjusted to CU and Boulder while practicing with the team. He can learn the system and get settled, so he should be ready to go next Spring.

You also have to look at this from a recruiting perspective. Never hurts to land a Pennsylvania guy who was a blue chip prep prospect. Should help with future midwest recruiting.

Kidding aside, I'm glad he came here. Maybe he can recruit some more big talent.

I see you said you were kidding, but since most jokes have some truth behind it - in addition to the responses from others, Clemons did see the field as a true freshman if I'm not mistaken. The fact that he was good enough to see playing time instead of redshirting I think says something. His WR class was phenomenal, and for him to have earned playing time shows talent and ability to learn a playbook. I'm excited for this guy, as I really wanted him to commit when he was in HS.

Sweet news. Toney will be a stud for us. Simas and McKnight are really the only guys that are Big XII WR's on the team right now, IMO. J-Fly has the potential and Espinosa/Maxwell are serviceable. Good to get a good WR with some size that can also help block down field for our downhill running game:thumbsup: Welcome Toney

One thing is for sure, if Simmons makes it in with Ussery and Darden to go along with Clemons, we have gotten a lot bigger at the position with those four guys. Should pay off in the red zone.

Will pay off anywhere on the field, but we need a QB that can go downfield with the ball.

I actually think it is better he has a year to get adjusted to CU and Boulder while practicing with the team. He can learn the system and get settled, so he should be ready to go next Spring.

"I just want to go in there and continue to work and work and work," Clemons said. "I know what my weaknesses are and I know the things I need to do to get better after being in the game for two years. This year off, to tell the truth, is a blessing, because I get to work on me and perfect me."

Now tell me that Simmons is passing every class and ready to line up for us next year and I'll give a giant :woot:...in any event our receiving corp has gotten a 200% boost in the past few months...but that's not saying much

He was rated like the 10th best WR in the country the year he was recruited out of high school. CU recruited him heavily then, and now they got him. He redshirted his first year and didn't play much last year. He is talented and big.

He was rated like the 10th best WR in the country the year he was recruited out of high school. CU recruited him heavily then, and now they got him. He redshirted his first year and didn't play much last year. He is talented and big.

Just clarify, he will be using his redshirt this upcoming season. He played, sparingly, both seasons at UM. The initial article I posted from Buffzone had the info wrong, stating he had RS'd at Michigan. Either way, he's got 2 years to play after sitting out his transfer year.

Just clarify, he will be using his redshirt this upcoming season. He played, sparingly, both seasons at UM. The initial article I posted from Buffzone had the info wrong, stating he had RS'd at Michigan. Either way, he's got 2 years to play after sitting out his transfer year.

oh ok, gotcha. So it will be like getting a JC transfer with his playing time.

rewatch the FSU game from last year and get back to me.
you mean, where he overthrew some guys? How about you rewatch 2007's games and get back to me. How many long bombs were DROPPED that year? How can you throw the long ball when you have no time to take a 3 step, much less a 5 step or 7 step drop?

this whole argument that cody can't throw long is silly. He CAN when he has time. What he can't throw are over the middle slants on quick drops because he can't see over the line when he is that close.

you mean, where he overthrew some guys? How about you rewatch 2007's games and get back to me. How many long bombs were DROPPED that year? How can you throw the long ball when you have no time to take a 3 step, much less a 5 step or 7 step drop?

this whole argument that cody can't throw long is silly. He CAN when he has time. What he can't throw are over the middle slants on quick drops because he can't see over the line when he is that close.

All I know is when Cody had a decent line and average running game, he beat a legitimate top 5 OU and a Crabtree/Harrell T Tech team in Lubbock. Not even Colt McCoy ever pulled that off in the same year, and Cody was a freshman. Cody is no physical specimen by any means, but I have seen the dude be clutch in some pretty major 3rd and 4th down situations. My gut tells me if the O-line and running game are at least back to healthy and average this year Cody will be just fine.

Threw a gorgeous deep pass against good coverage in the spring game and nice touch on the same drive to Simas in the end zone.

not hail mary deep. but deep enough to get behind safety's, yes. Jeff Garcia couldn't have thrown that pass either, and he's done pretty well in a league obssessed with arm strength. How many times does a QB throw it 60 yards down the field per season? once?

What we're really talking about here are the 15-20 yard routes. Some of you seem convinced Cody has no trouble with these throws, I beg to differ.

What we're really talking about here are the 15-20 yard routes. Some of you seem convinced Cody has no trouble with these throws, I beg to differ.

Cody is not a great QB, but he is nowhere close to a bad QB. People really don't realize how bad our o-line and runninggame were last year. Cody had no time. Look back to some wins in 2007, where Cody lead this team to some big wins. Cody will continue to lead us to big wins if he gets help. Plus, nothing else we can really do anyway, Hansen has a lot of work to do still with his passing game to unseat Cody from what I saw in the Spring game.

some trouble with them? Yes, he does. However, if he can set his feet (which requires a good Oline), he can make them. Can he make them on the run or off balance? No.

A lot of people seem convinced he can never make those throws... which is just as untrue as saying he has no trouble with them.

Back