What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Forrest, Henley, Mobley, WillJeff, MTM - ALL GONE

You are telling me that a student at the university with some football skills could not walk on in the fall and attempt to get a spot on the roster? Does it happen often no. But could they come back and show that they have the talent to compete and possibly earn their spot back? Yes they could. I am not saying that Embree would roll out the red carpet for them and say that they learned their lesson. My point is that if they want to play at this level, and play at the University of Colorado, there is an opportunity for them to do so, it won't be easy and more often then not will not get them a spot on the team however it is possible.

yes - that is what I'm telling you.

Sorry, but it makes no sense that you would let a player with a badly damaged knee play at all in the Spring game. The knee may be why WJeff was let go, but it really makes no sense - what if he crippled that so badly damaged knee? CU would have had to pay bigtime.

No one knows what JE did to the car criminal-mischief player? I think a comparison of discipline would be apt. If you're drunk and you F-up other people's valuable property, shouldn't you be history too? Not advocating that, just wondering

Go Buffs

Sorry, but it makes no sense that you would let a player with a badly damaged knee play at all in the Spring game. The knee may be why WJeff was let go, but it really makes no sense - what if he crippled that so badly damaged knee? CU would have had to pay bigtime.

No one knows what JE did to the car criminal-mischief player? I think a comparison of discipline would be apt. If you're drunk and you F-up other people's valuable property, shouldn't you be history too? Not advocating that, just wondering

Go Buffs

The player you are referencing is Bryce Givens, he has been suspended from school.

Go Buffs

Wait... what does the car-criminal-mischief-player's disciplinary suspension have to do with a player who was declared medically not fit to play?

The player you are referencing is Bryce Givens, he has been suspended from school.

Also we don't know the disposition of his case. Since it involves university rules it goes through the discipline process of the school. Also because it involves illegal conduct and school violations and punishment the athletic department does not have the liberty to comment on it until he has completed due process and then even after the process is continued what is publicly stated is limited.

I dont understand how Jefferson played on Saturday and looked fine and now his career is suddenly over. How do they know he won't be better in a year and if it is that serious then why was he out there in the first place?

I dont understand how Jefferson played on Saturday and looked fine and now his career is suddenly over. How do they know he won't be better in a year and if it is that serious then why was he out there in the first place?

At this point, time to move on. Give Jon the benefit of the doubt. Go Buffs.

West didn't exactly have a great year last year. Kasa has the potential to be dominant. Uzo Diribe will be in his 2nd year and ready to take the step. Hartigan is the speed rusher, situational pass rusher. Juda Parker is going to get playing time as a freshman. Nembot could play both DE or DT.

TE- Slavin is good, from what i saw from the spring game, the guy can play. I like the top 3 TE, you can only play 2 at a time anyways.

O_O

You're basing your hope on a whole lot of ifs. TE might be okay, assuming Slavin's play during practice translates to games, so long as we don't get a single injury to any of top 3 TEs. Diribe is ready to take the next step? Well damn, if you say so. Hartigan is indeed a situational player at best, what are we going to do during the rest of the game when other teams might run the ball? Nembot can play DT or DE? Well damn, again, if you say so.

West may have not had a 'great' year last year, but he certainly did a whole hell of a lot more last year than almost any of the people you're suddenly counting on.

difficult to reconcile two seemingly conflicting items:

1. Embree stating Will can't continue and has been given a medical waiver scholly
2. WillJeff telling people he intends to continue to play elsewhere and was shocked

The only scenario that makes sense (to me at this point in time) is Embree was told he wouldn't improve, and Will wasn't able to fully participate and couldn't practice fully and play thru it. Embree thus concluded he was done. It makes a statement about being tough and playing thru pain. You need to comeback from an injury if you want to stay on the team.

I got to admit, MTM made no progress. What was the point of continuing to be on the team, but not really fully participating and not progressing? It ties up a scholarship. Embree knows how to use those.

Our probable top 4 receivers are all transfers. Happy to have them but not exactly an ideal way to build a team.

Any news on Markques Simas? Supposedly he was in Boulder all of last year and was trying to get back on the team.

Considering the previous regime, I'm happy that those guys were positively evaluated by another program first. In fact, I wish more had been. Now that we have competent evaluators of talent, different story.

At this point, time to move on. Give Jon the benefit of the doubt. Go Buffs.

So a player plays in the spring game, makes a reception, and then is cut from the team because he is medically unable to play. The players says he is shocked at this development and plans to transfer someplace where he CAN play.

And you want to give someone the benefit of the doubt?

I am all for giving a rookie coach with no experience as a coordinator, let alone a head coach, a little bit of leeway but this situation is a serious head scratcher.

I think he has learned from his experience with other coaching staffs. Barnett promised not to run anyone off when he showed up in 99 and had to battle with a group that did not buy into his approach which ended up being a cancer on the team. Mac went through the same thing in the early 90s with some guys that were not buying in...he made a rule that 5th year seniors who were not starting did not have to be on the team but could keep their scholarships. This came from a group that was grousing and brought down the team around them.

This all has to do with guys that are not in step with the direction of the program. Embree is taking a tough love approach...he is sacrificing a few in order to improve the overall attitude. It is a very tough way to go but I think it is the best way.

Go Buffs

You are taking this totally out of context. Givens is being dealt with by the University and the AD is not involved. Givens will not be on the team in the fall so there is nothing that Embree needs to do in that regard. You have no idea if he will ever be allowed back on the team by it is not something that Embree needs to deal with.

Re: Forrest West; Embo just spent a year with Albert Haynesworth and saw what that kind of cultural disconnect does to an organization. My bet here is that is was clear that this guy did was not buying what the new staff was selling. You can have "leaders" in organizations that end up being very destructive if they are leading others to question the culture. I know this is Boulder, but you have to have unanimity and conformity to your basic culture. If this guy was already complaining and talking to his brethern, they probably had to remove him before he affected the culture. No amount of on-field production can save a team if they are not committed to the organizational culture.

BTW, this is total speculation and is not based on any real information other than my own experiences which have only an attenuated connection to the current Buffs.

Gotta love the offseason. I can't believe how long this thread is...we lose one halfway decent guy, two because of medical reasons, and the other two that have contributed jack squat. By some of the responses on this board you'd think we lost Andrew Luck or Mark Ingram.

Gotta love the offseason. I can't believe how long this thread is...we lose one halfway decent guy, two because of medical reasons, and the other two that have contributed jack squat. By some of the responses on this board you'd think we lost Andrew Luck or Mark Ingram.

We lost Andrew Luck? Dammit.

Gotta love the offseason. I can't believe how long this thread is...we lose one halfway decent guy, two because of medical reasons, and the other two that have contributed jack squat. By some of the responses on this board you'd think we lost Andrew Luck and Mark Ingram.

fify

Just another thing to blame on Hawkins.

I am pretty sure D II tried to pawn off a Grape flavored Capri Sun on Luck, when he clearly said he wanted a Fruit Punch Capri Sun, instead D II gave the last Fruit Punch Capri Sun to CH. Harbaugh came along with a cooler full of Fruit Punch Capri Sun and the rest is history.....

I think he has learned from his experience with other coaching staffs. Barnett promised not to run anyone off when he showed up in 99 and had to battle with a group that did not buy into his approach which ended up being a cancer on the team. Mac went through the same thing in the early 90s with some guys that were not buying in...he made a rule that 5th year seniors who were not starting did not have to be on the team but could keep their scholarships. This came from a group that was grousing and brought down the team around them.

This all has to do with guys that are not in step with the direction of the program. Embree is taking a tough love approach...he is sacrificing a few in order to improve the overall attitude. It is a very tough way to go but I think it is the best way.

You are correct. In addition Embree is simply being honest with the players and the fans. Almost any time you have a coaching change you have guys who don't buy into the system, think that they deserve special treatment because of what they did in the past or promises made by former coaches. We are actually having a surprisingly small amount of turnover of players considering how radical a change of expectations we are seeing (I don't know if this is because the players are sick of losing and are willing to do what it takes to win or if a lot of them question if another D1 team would want them!) compared to other coaching changes I have seen.

The difference is that at other schools guys just tend to disappear off the roster, or otherwise leave the team. Embree is being honest enough to say "Sorry, we don't have a place for you on this team, time to move on."

Back