1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four games in to the season thoughts....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Sep 29, 2008.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Any time a defense can dominate the line of scrimmage the way FSU did, things will not be pretty.

I continue to wonder what the heck Helfrich is thinking. For the first time since Purify graduated we have a stable full of talented running backs. But the offense that CU runs, seems dedicated to showcasing the quarterback.

Cody is a decent player. If I had to pick an adjective to describe him it would be "serviceable". He appears to be the type of quarterback who is going to make good decisions, has pretty good accuracy and not likely to implode. He reacted about the way every other quarterback would react with heavy rush pressure. In short, he's not the kind of quarterback you run your entire offense through. Chase Daniel? Yes. Sam Bradford? Yes. The overthrows were simply unbelievable.

Some FSU posters have stated plainly that the Seminoles simply did not respect any deep ball threat from CU. It wasn't until the fourth quarter that the passing game really seemed to click and I believe that was because FSU is beginning to back off to preserve the win.

I am not calling for Cody's head, nor my saying that he isn't the best quarterback the Buffs have right now. I am wondering why in the devil we don't play to the apparent strength of the squad which is the running game.

At the end of the day, the buffs are three and one. If you had told me at the beginning of the season they would come out of the out of conference schedule, 3-1, I would have been thrilled. This still looks like a seven when team to me.

2. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

With our OL dropping like flies,my prediction of 7 wins is in serious trouble IMHO.The line was struggling enough,now we lose a giant talented OT,not good .

The offense eems to score early then sputter throughout the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Special teams is awful,and hawkins and hagan need to explain why scott is getting 5 carries.No,rodney should still be getting his carries but my problem is this...

Hawk said he was fine and close to 100%,okay,then let's get him 10-15 carries a game.If he has an injury that's limiting him to 5 carries a game then why not redshirt him? Your going to waste a full season for him by continuing to run him 5 times a game and I won't even mention the word that comes to mind if this continues and what scott might be thinking.

3. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I still don't think FSU totally dominated the line of scrimmage. We opened holes. I will argue till the day I die that FSU did not win that game because they had the better athletes. We totally had a chance to win that game and we missed our opportunites by shooting ourselves in the foot.

4. buffsyko

I will argue with you that they had better athletes at DE. They were much quicker other than smith and speedy.

5. Unleash Hell

And I will agree with you, I will also agree that FSU has better athletes at almost any position than we do.

Oh I don't agree about Speedy. He burned them several times. So did Josh, so did our slow TE's.

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Anytime you can generate the quarterback pressure they did with just their front four, I would call that domination.

CU did run the ball somewhat effectively against them, so it wasn't a total domination. I agree with you if we had better QB play, CU would have been in a position to win.

FSU was a beatable team. I suppose that one could be somewhat encouraged by the fact that CU is losing games that they had every chance to win, rather than getting blown out.

7. buffsyko

Um,I just said "OTHER THAN SMITH AND SPEEDY". That would mean i'm saying,FSU was much quicker than us except for smith and speedy who were just as fast.

8. drew6236

drew6236 Club Member Club Member

The opportunity to redshirt Scott passed once he carried the ball in the first game. Obviously the "injury" happened after this.

9. Unleash Hell

I know

10. buffsyko

You have to play a certain amount of quarters to lose your redshirt I believe. Not one carry. Anyone know the script on this?

11. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

From the wiki article:

Medical Redshirts are probably a much different story. I'm still looking into them.

12. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Found it. Medical Redshirts are granted if you're less than 20% into the season. We're at 33%, no dice.

13. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Frustrating is more like it, kind of like the FSU, ASU, and KU games of last season. CU missed out on as much as 17 more points in the first half, while at the same time only 7 of FSU's points didn't come as a result of CU miscues. But this is going to happen with a young team where Hawk is still working on building the program. Hopefully we'll see less and less of these types of games end up being frustrating losses as time goes on.

14. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

On one hand, that makes the loss easier to take. On the other hand, it makes it much more frustrating. FSU was beatable but CU did not take advantage of that.

When the hell is the special teams going to step up? Kick coverage has been bad all year long and they were downright terrible on Sat, giving up 199 KO return yards. 199! It's no wonder the D gave up so many points. FSU had a short field all damn day long.

15. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Very well said and I wholeheartedly agree! If I could have chosen 3-1 after 4 I would have jumped at it! Next year I think is really our year to turn heads in a big way. I think possibly a big surprise win this year but geez they are very young still. Gonna have the peeks and valleys but i really love this team and I love Cody, tough tough kid. How many times has he gotten rocked only to pop right back up.

Roll Buffs! Let's get that surprise win this week at home in front of a frenzied Folsom field.