What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fowler on Buyout

roll your eyes all you want. What has he done for CU? What? When? Where? Just want to know.

DBT... He'd do something for CU if they would show something. I'm SURE he wants to do a gameday thing in Boulder but the Buffs just wont give him a reason to do so.

That dude is a huge buffs fan and he has a hard time keeping it hidden.

You have 15 less scholies to work with now than mac did. You have higher than average enrollment standards and less fertile recruiting grounds. You have less total practice time and harder classes and standards for student athletes. And an administration that puts academics above all else.

The 1990s are very far in the rear view mirror.

I'm sorry I didn't realize CU was the only school in major college football that had scholarships reduce to 85.

higher than average enrollment standards is closer to a better argument but there are plenty of schools out there that are on par with CU that still compete and thrive.

Less fertile recruiting grounds is partially legit as well, but still not enough of a factor for us to use it as a crutch.

On average, from 2004-2008 there were 14 players PER YEAR from Colorado that went to BCS schools on scholarship. With only 1 "BCS" school in the state, that puts us on par with the states of Michigan, Mississippi, Tennessee, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Washington, North Carolina and better than Arizona, Kentucky, Connecticut, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, and West Virginia. So I completely disagree with the assertion that the state of Colorado isn't a sufficient "recruiting ground" to base on. Sure we always need to bring in talent from TX and CA, but we can still find talent in our own backyard.

The admin issue is the only real "excuse" as to why it might be harder to win at CU than other places. But maybe Hawkins lack of wins and the ensuing drop off in revenue will spur the change that needs to happen.

DBT - you're out of line on Fowler. He is not allowed to donate to the CU AD due to it being a conflict of interest as an ESPN employee. It would be grounds for termination. He is a significant donor to the School of Journalism instead.

He is not allowed to donate to the CU AD due to it being a conflict of interest as an ESPN employee. It would be grounds for termination. He is a significant donor to the School of Journalism instead.

:yeahthat:

I know this board has had the debate on Fowler over and over again, but hes a great representative of the University, imo

Jesse Palmer:

I don't think people realize the difficulty that exists to win in a place like Colorado.

WTF?

Sounds like he spent too much time talking to Hawk about "excuses".

That line hit me too.... Clearly he should mention Colorado is one of the top 30 programs in the country as far as win percentage, one of the top 25 most televised and has a great tradition. True we don't have the ability to admit academically underachieving students like NU, KSU etc.... but we have always made it work. No reason it cannot work for another coach.

DBT really doesn't like to see CU graduates make the big time. Klatt would love to be on ESPN like Fowler, both terrible people for having aspirations.

If u think they dont have the money, you are naiive. They do but they want their investment back. BB laughed when I said Herm, I think he would be great here. He isnt a good coach according to him, im sure you could coach up KC.

I think he probably has some inside scoop....let's just hope he is correct!:thumbsup:

Not that many of you guys are twitter followers but Chade Forde was quoting fowler on there last night as being confident the money was there.

Besides Fowler's rather definitive comments about the buyout money during the broadcast something else really struck me. Did you see the way Hawkins walked off the field.

He was all smiles and just seemed to be a guy who had a weight lifted of his shoulders. He had longer than usual conversations with some and it just seemed like he knew he was done.

Two things wouldn't surprise me at all, one, Fowler was told specifically by somebody (Bohn, etc) that he could be pretty definitive about the buyout money. Two, that Hawk knew he was done before the game.

I think we'll get a presser soon and an interim HC for Nebraska. Also I believe Hawk will take the high road rather than trash the program.

Besides Fowler's rather definitive comments about the buyout money during the broadcast something else really struck me. Did you see the way Hawkins walked off the field.

He was all smiles and just seemed to be a guy who had a weight lifted of his shoulders. He had longer than usual conversations with some and it just seemed like he knew he was done.

Two things wouldn't surprise me at all, one, Fowler was told specifically by somebody (Bohn, etc) that he could be pretty definitive about the buyout money. Two, that Hawk knew he was done before the game.

I think we'll get a presser soon and an interim HC for Nebraska. Also I believe Hawk will take the high road rather than trash the program.

like the fans have with him?

like the fans have with him?

We have every right to voice our opinion on him unless he resigns. I kinda felt sorry for him as he walked off the field last night but then I thought about the Millions of dollars he is about to get so unless he resigns he deserves every comment he gets!

If Fowler were to show how much he likes the Buffs in the national spotlight he would be on a hotter seat at ESPN than Hawkins is at CU.

This Fowler criticism is stupid.

We have every right to voice our opinion on him unless he resigns. I kinda felt sorry for him as he walked off the field last night but then I thought about the Millions of dollars he is about to get so unless he resigns he deserves every comment he gets!

so becuase he made millions he deserves to be treated like ****?

If Fowler were to show how much he likes the Buffs in the national spotlight he would be on a hotter seat at ESPN than Hawkins is at CU.

Have you ever watched college game day? Herbstriet and Dr. Lou are still safe.

THIS!!!!

The guy has a job to do and part of that job is to remain neutral when you're on the clock. I'm SURE that game last night tore him up inside, but he wasn't there to cheer for any team -- he was there to cover it.

I don't think some people get that and that he apparently takes his role very seriously.

He just said it again as they were signing off..."...the money is there to buy him out" was basically what he said...

Not basically what he said, that is what he said.

I haven't read through the rest of the posts to see if this was addressed or not. But does anybody else think that maybe the reason Fowler is so sure that the money is there is because he may have provided some or all of it? Pure speculation on my part. I'm just trying to connect a few dots here.

so becuase he made millions he deserves to be treated like ****?

If you gave me 5 grand to build a deck in your back yard and then half way through building it, the thing collapsed and every board was cracked or crooked but I kept telling you the deck would be great and perfect when I am done, would you be pissed?

He was paid that much to do the job well, not just do the job.

Theirroles are completely different. Fowler is not the color commentator. Fowler also covers a LOT more sports than CFB. Fowler is a sports journalist, especially when you consider his background (journalism degree and worked at th CU SID). Holtz and Herbstreit are not journalists, they are only on ESPN t draw the ratings and provide entertainment, look at May and his man crush on Pete Carrol and USC.

You know, I don't watch any college football other than the Buffs anymore... Just seems pointless with no Champion at the end.

Anyway, I can care less what other people are doing, especially an old washed up college QB and coach. Fowler is a journalist, not an ex athlete. I am willing to guess his journalistic integrity is worth a bit more than those other goof balls he works with.

You know, I don't watch any college football other than the Buffs anymore... Just seems pointless with no Champion at the end.

Anyway, I can care less what other people are doing, especially an old washed up college QB and coach. Fowler is a journalist, not an ex athlete. I am willing to guess his journalistic integrity is worth a bit more than those other goof balls he works with.

I agree. There is a reason we think those other guys are jokes. I like Fowlers professionalism.

I haven't read through the rest of the posts to see if this was addressed or not. But does anybody else think that maybe the reason Fowler is so sure that the money is there is because he may have provided some or all of it? Pure speculation on my part. I'm just trying to connect a few dots here.

I think someone else indicated that Fowler can't contribute to the CU AD because of conflict of interest (working at espin). Not sure whether or not that's a fact, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

Back