What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Frank Martin to South Carolina?

Good luck to John Currie, because he's going to need it when he makes this hire. Scumbag or not, Martin's success is going to be a tough act to follow in Manhattan. Add in the fact that this recent brief run of moderate success has the KSU fanbase thinking they're on par with KU in basketball (or, as a KSU fan on Rivals claims: "our basketball tradition is ... similar to the tradition Nebraska has in football") and it becomes a very challenging hire indeed. Currie will likely have to enter the crapshoot of hiring a mid-major guy with connections to a decent recruiting base. Perhaps he could pluck a "BCS" conference coach like South Florida's Stan Heath, but there are certainly few, if any, BCS conference coaches interested in Kansas State in any normal circumstance -- unless he can find a coach getting nervous about some potential violations who would be happy to take refuge in Manhattan.

Clearly the best two candidates for our own entertainment value would be Bruce Pearl and Larry Eustacy, but even KSU isn't crazy enough to take either of those routes, are they? I know Eustacy has cleaned up his act, but something about returning to his old stomping grounds (literally -- remember, he was raging it at KSU when he asked two apparently decent looking purple pussies "What are you doing here at KSU? You're too good looking for this place, you should be at KU").

There's two Sutton brothers coaching a few hours away and Tim Miles is now taken. Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens won't pick up their phone if John Currie calls. Same for the Ohio coach. Could this be a Penn State situation where they settle for an assistant in the pros because every college coach on their wish list refuses to be part of potential sanctions?

To recruit KSU, you either need a national name or close ties with the JUCOs in the region. It's the only way to recruit there.

One interesting name I've heard (ESPN) is Wayne Tinkle at Montana. Dude can coach and he has the connects in the JUCO ranks. Young, too. He could be successful at KSU for a long time.

Tinkle sounds like a natural fit for that program...

And as long as we're on the subject of Tweets about Tad...

buffnik ‏ @buffnik

RT @EricGoodman: #CUBUFFS Tad Boyle told me about #KState rumors, "Don’t have interest in other jobs. Want to do something special at CU."

Clearly the best two candidates for our own entertainment value would be Bruce Pearl and Larry Eustacy, but even KSU isn't crazy enough to take either of those routes, are they? I know Eustacy has cleaned up his act, but something about returning to his old stomping grounds (literally -- remember, he was raging it at KSU when he asked two apparently decent looking purple pussies "What are you doing here at KSU? You're too good looking for this place, you should be at KU").

images.jpeg

‏@foxsportsreiter
Made calls today & heard this doozy: Frank Martin, while trying to decide what to do, was told by Bill Snyder he should "get the hell out."

Sploosh.

If Tad's dumb enough to go to that dumpster fire........

Snyder's even down on KSU right now? That's about the worst possible sign for the state of their AD.

what about Gregg Marshall from Wichita State? That would be a solid hire for them.

what about Gregg Marshall from Wichita State? That would be a solid hire for them.

Of course it would. It's arguable that it would be a promotion for Marshall, though, until we know the state of the KSU AD. Sounds like there are problems there. Besides, it seems like more and more mid-major coaches are deciding that the grass isn't necessarily greener. Murray State, VCU and Butler all fought off attempts to take their coach this year.

Even if there weren't major issues happening at KSU right now, I'm not shocked by this move, nor do I think it is a huge downgrade. He basically peaked at KSU getting them a #2 seed in the tourney a couple years ago. That program just isn't going to be a basketball powerhouse. The success is short-lived. Same is probably true at USC, but at least he will be in a more desirable location, much closer to his desired recruits, at a University with huge AD budget. If I were another SEC coach, I would be worried. Frank is a great coach and I believe will have USC basketball kicking some ass in fairly short time. Go Game****s!

KSU is a solid #3 in it's media market (KC). Manhattan? i like rural charm as much as the next guy....but.

they have an underrated history...but, who cares...KU is the big dog in state and in general (spit)...and MU in the Big Whatevers and SEC will pull more support in the KC media.

no mention of Eddie Fogler yet? he had some decent S. Carolina teams....inna day.

this looks like a move that is about SEC $$$ or a bailout move by Martin.

KSU can't whine too much, they only hired Frank to keep Huggy's recruiting class.....with Wally Judge and some other top 100 guys. maybe Pullen? turns out Frank is actually a pretty good coach....maybe a serial killer or cheater but his teams are good and thy work hard for him. same could be said for Huggy Bear.

Last edited:

Marshall, who I think is friends with Tad, seems a lot like Tad in a number of ways. He appears to be happy at Wichita State and has himself a solid and improving program. He likes the school and the people he works with and is comfortable living there.

He has been mentioned for and shot down a number of other jobs. It is probably going to take something fairly special to get him out of Wichita, and I don't think KSU sounds special to him.

A K-State alum I work with believes there was something fishy about the money transfer. The AAU coach had two kids playing for Syracuse. Martin felt KS would be exonerated and that the AD should have backed off the suspension even though the NCAA had said if the kid played there would be repercussions.

Back