What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fraternizing with the Enemy: Notes on the Arizona Wildcats

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
Well since this is such a close and evenly matched game, I had to find out some details regarding this potent Arizona Wildcats team as soon as humanly possible. Just kidding...in all likelihood we'll steamroll these chumps. But regardless, here are some answers from Ivan Leonard, the football beat writer at the Daily Wildcat of AU.
Justin Guerriero: What's the feeling in Arizona's locker room after a really ugly 69-7 loss to Wazzu?

Ivan Leonard: When will this season be over? After losing to BYU in a heartbreaker to open the season, Arizona’s season has had more downs than ups. After almost upsetting Washington, Arizona lost every conference by at least 13 points with the 62-point loss to Wazzu capping it off. Colorado was in the same boat that Arizona was in two years ago and the two schools are in opposite directions.

JG: This year, the Buffaloes have been taking down Pac-12 teams that in the past were major conference bullies to them. How do you think this Wildcats team stacks up against CU?

IL: I believe Arizona is extremely overmatched due to Colorado’s competence at football. The Wildcats best football play is when quarterback Brandon Dawkins scrambles on a pass play for positive yardage. The downside of that is that he takes various hits throughout the game and they take a toll on him over its duration .

Arizona should be 1-6 but and injury to Grambling quarterback Devante Kincaid saved them in that game. If Colorado’s offense can sustain drives and avoid turnovers and penalties, this game should be over by halftime.
JG: What is AU's biggest weakness(es)?

IL: I think a more accurate question would be what is Arizona’s strengths. Their weaknesses are glaring on both sides of the ball and are why this team probably will not win a game in conference this year. However, I would say Arizona’s pass defense is what is the most concerning. Their pass rush almost never gets home and they rarely force interception. Arizona has forced 10 turnovers this year, six came against FCS opponent Grambling State in a 31-21 win.

On the offensive end, injuries are what is killing that side of the ball. Arizona’s starting running back is a converted wide receiver after the first two got shelved for ankle injuries. Quarterbacks Brandon Dawkins and Anu Solomon have both missed time due to injury and have not been productive when healthy.

JG
: What about the Buffaloes is most concerning to you?

IL: Quarterback play concerns me the most about Colorado, Sefo Liufau is a very solid quarterback and will have time to find his receivers. Against this secondary, he should be able to get whatever he wants with relative ease. Another player that concerns me is Jimmie Gilbert do to Arizona’s lack of pass protection. He should definitely impact the game and pressure whoever Arizona has in at quarterback.

JG: Who are Arizona's key play makers? Can you give me at least one from both sides of the ball?

That one guy on the left side I think his name’s Joe and on the right side we also have Joe. They’re both vegan.
JG: A loss for Colorado likely puts the team in a must-win-out scenario to reach the Pac-12 Championship game. Can Arizona deliver such a loss?

IL: Technically yes, but likely that will not happen. Colorado would need to commit a boatload of turnovers on their side of the field for that to happen.

JG: Kind of redundant, but score predictions? How does this one play out?

IL: Strangely enough, Arizona scores first against a lot of its opponents. It is just, the other team responds and then keeps scoring and then it gets out of hand. I believe Colorado will enter the second quarter with at least a 10-point lead and ride that to a 41-14 victory.

Contact CU Independent Head Sports Editor Justin Guerriero at justin.guerriero@colorado.edu and follow him on Twitter @TheHungry_Hippo

Contact Daily Wildcat football beat writer Ivan Leonard at ivanleo94@email.arizona.edu

Go Buffaloes go!!!

Well, there you have it. Hopefully colorado doesn't colorado and make this a 21-17 game or something ridiculous. We need to pound them and impose our will like we should.

At least the Zonie guy was honest. That program (which has a proud tradition) all of a sudden has severe performance and home attendance issues in that huge stadium.

To temper a little of that dude's sense of impending doom, I watched some of the UA/WSU game on Pac 12 in 60, mostly just the beginning.

The chards got some bad breaks early (such as a TD on the first play of the game called back for illegal man downfield) and WSU jumped all over them immediately. If things don't go so remarkably ****ty (****ty - that reminds me - do your ****ing preview, Nik) for the chards early, it probably wouldn't have been such a disaster. I mean, they still would have lost, but probably not by 60.

Of course, it didn't help matters that the Pirate was still chucking the ball deep up 50+ in the 4th quarter. Asshole.

My thought is that UA is probably not as good as taking UDub to OT makes them look, nor as bad as getting drubbed by 60 in Pullman makes them look. They are down, and have a lot of issues, but they're not godawful. They're not CU circa 2013. They have a good coach and enough players to make us squirm on the road if the team doesn't come ready to play, especially on offense.

We should win, we probably will win, but no more sleepwalking, no more stupid penalties, and hopefully no more bad Sefo.

Well, there you have it. Hopefully colorado doesn't colorado and make this a 21-17 game or something ridiculous. We need to pound them and impose our will like we should.
The offense really needs to get back on track for this game

Give the ball to Lindsay early and often and let Sefo get going with some easy throws off play action.

Avoid the dumb lose your composure penalties that we had against UCLA and we win by 20+

Jump out early. UA is very fragile right now. If we let them stick around, they can be dangerous. Get up on them by two scores in the first quarter and they'll mail it in.

Back