What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Freshman class - Who Plays the Most in the First Year?

Shldr2Shldr

Club Member
Club Member
So of our new signee's (so far) who sees the most game action in their 1st year?

QB Apsay
DL Bennion
DL Franke
LB Gamboa
LB Hasselbach
TE Jones
OL Kaiser
TE Keeney
ATH Lee
DL Lopez
DL Mathewes
OL Miller
S Sanchez
DL Shaver
LS Smith
WR Walker
LB Watanabe
DB White
DB Witherspoon
WR Fields
OL Weifels
ATH MacIntyre

I think Fields, Mathewes, Hasselbach, and Watanabe see significant playing time right out of the gate. With Keeney jumping in pretty quick as well.

+1 for Mathewes. Penciled MacIntyre in at QB ... :rofl:

Based on the needs and depth chart I'll guess:

TE Keeney
LS Smith
WR Walker
LB Watanabe
DB Witherspoon
WR Fields
OL Weifels

Probably, I would think Witherspoon & Weifels have the best chance at a lot of playing time. Smith will step right into the longsnapping role.

Based on the guys that have faxed in the LOI

Whitherspoon
Wyatt Smith
Mathewes
Sanchez
White
Fields
Lee
Walker -KO returner and PR
McIntyre- KO returner and PR
Keeney
Hayden Jones

I agree...Mac seemed to think quite a few will help us right away. He knows speed is lacking right now and they brought in some size and speed.

Lee - He is such a special talent, I don't know how you can keep him off of the field. I'm most excited about what he can do. He will play all over and make plays for CU
Keeney - Watching Mac's presser you can tell he expects big things for this guy. It will probably take time for him to get the blocking down, but see him used a lot on passing situations.
Matthews - He is number 2 right behind Lee in my mind. This guy could be our answer to a rush end. I see him coming in and competing on day one.
Fields/Walker - One of these two is going to play right away at the WR position (maybe both). They both have great speed. Should be an interesting fall camp with the WR position.

Now saying all that we will probably have 3-4 guys contribute that none of us expected.

Mathewes, Witherspoon, Weifels, Fields, Smith, Lee.

That being said I am most excited about Donovan Lee, Dylan Keeney, and Grant Watanabe. I really hope this staff can get the most out of Lee. He is an astronaut, just get him the ball in space and watch him go to work. They need to use him like Percy Harvin, returning kicks, end arounds, tailback, slot receiver, in motion all over the field to keep the defense guessing.

Keeney looks like a real matchup nightmare. Runs like a gazelle, great hands, and he knows how to use his large frame when going up to snatch the ball at the highest point. A TE that long with speed and hands should be a QBs best friend, especially around the redzone or on third down.

Watanabe looks like a real thumper. Nothing like having someone in the middle that will make you regret holding the ball.

Hasselbach and White. Mac was gushing about both of them at the luncheon. We do have some depth at safety, but if White is as good as Mac says, then he will find his way on the field. Also, we are in desperate need of pass rushers and i think Hasselbach really could see himself playing some passing down snaps.

Back