What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

From cubuffs.com- "Lee Maes Named Assistant Volleyball Coach"

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Article - http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210627350

"
BOULDER — University of Colorado head volleyball coach Jesse Mahoney announced that Lee Maes will join the Buffaloes staff as an assistant coach.

“Lee Maes is a fantastic addition to our staff here at Colorado,” Mahoney said. “Lee’s extensive experience at the elite NCAA and international levels have given him a comprehensive skill-set: he is an adept trainer in the gym, he is technically and tactically innovative and he will be a great mentor for our student-athletes. I am excited for the impact Lee will have on our program as we begin our efforts in achieving the lofty goals our players and staff have set for Colorado Volleyball.”

"I'm thrilled and grateful for this wonderful opportunity to partner with Jesse Mahoney at Colorado,” Maes said. “He and I have known each other for many years. Jesse has been a person who I greatly respect and appreciate as a coach and friend. There is tremendous enthusiasm and optimism for volleyball at CU. It's evident in the support and leadership provided by [CU Athletic Director] Rick George and [CU Senior Associate AD] Ceal Barry. I look forward to collaborating with so many talented and devoted people who are invested in helping CU achieve championship-level success.”

Maes comes to Colorado with over 25 years of experience, 19 at the NCAA Division I level, and has coached some of the top programs in the country.
"

Official announcement now out for the hire that had already been discussed in an earlier thread.

Official congrats and welcome to Coach Maes coming to CU!

On the face of it, looks like a hire that could work out great, and hope all comes together for the vball team:
1) With Head Coach Mahoney himself making the big jump from coaching in a smaller Mid-Major conference to one of the top 2-3 conferences in the country, it will have to help having Coach Maes, with his assistant Coach experience at TOP schools like Nebraska and Cal, to assist in the transition. And, specifically his Cal experience, even though more than a decade old, will hopefully help the Buffs navigate the treacherous Pac 12 schedule. He also had a head coaching stint at Virginia, so will have that experience to draw in.

2) Snagging 2 "Top 15" rated classes while at Virginia (as the announcement article notes) hopefully indicates (depending on how much his assistants did) strong recruiting acumen. He also has had coaching experience with and I'm sure kept connections with the U.S. club program scene, which seems to be (just from reading the Volleytalk forum) the main pipeline for U.S. player recruiting. He also has experience in and hopefully connections with the U.S. national youth training programs, which I'm sure is also helpful in recruiting.

Of course, I'd say Coach Mahoney's and Maes main recruiting job this year is probably keeping the many talented current players in Boulder for next season and beyond. Hope they accomplish this!

In the immediate future- I'd assume there are still at minimum two hires (or at least announcements) pending- another (full-time) asst. coach, and a grad asst. coach. Wonder where the staff is in that process?

Last edited:
Reactions: aik
Interesting that Maes' quote specifically said "I'm glad to partner with..." Hopefully that is an indication of their relationship and planned go forward strategy.

Back