1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fusker slush fund paid off the Big12

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by talkinswonk, Oct 11, 2010.

1. talkinswonk

talkinswonk Silly fusker Troll

2. Del

Del Member

Hey when can we get one of those?

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Would kill for that

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm jealous.....

5. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

They must have some good Morman financial planners hanging around in Lincoln...

6. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Maybe they can help us pay off our loan to the University, and buy us new baseball and softball teams and buy out our coach?

We need a slush fund like nobody's business!

7. BuffMania

BuffMania Banned BANNED

Outclassed again. Sad.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Man, thats a lot of corn sales.

9. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

10. DBT

I think he was being facetious.

11. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

Maybe the Broncos will suck so bad that Bowlen will sell the team to some LA investors who will move the team and then the Buffs will be the only major football team left and sit back and watch the $'s pour in.

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Ummm. CU has a foundation. It has a few million bucks, too.

13. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Ya but is any of it AD specific funds like the fuskers?

14. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor Club Member Club Member

Buff Supporters will have to pony up extra money (or even more money) to purchase season tickets to get the coin like Nebraska has. No flame here or bragging. This is just how they are doing it.

Season tickets this year at Nebraska go for an across the board face value cost of $378 ($54 per game). Just to get the season ticket there is a donor requirement of $150-$5000+ per seat. This does not include the Skyboxes sold (not sure how those are priced). I am only guessing, but the average donation to get a season ticket is $400 to maybe $600 or maybe more. With over 85,000 fans willing to pay that kind of money it adds up. The cost of watching football at Nebraska is going up on average every year because the old timers who have had season tickets since the 1960's are becoming fewer. As a side note: some of the old timers, but not all, have donated next to nothing through the years. I guess it's the price paid for watching lots of bad seasons since the 1950's or 1960's (and that's O.K. with me). They can't pass their tickets to family unless an annual donation is made according to the seating location.

The money used to pay off the Big 12 will come from the NU Athletic Foundation, which takes in the money from the donations paid by fans, who then get the ability to buy their season tickets based upon "donor points" accumulated. The Foundation will pay for the 5000 seat stadium and skybox expansion to the East side of Memorial Stadium. The stadium expansion will also include construction of an academic research center physically connected to the stadium. As I understand it, the Athletic Foundation has the cash is in the bank for the Big 12 payoff and the stadium/research center expansion project. The construction project will start sometime after the 2012 season or the Spring of 2013.

I think the Buffs could generate lots of cash in the future with the right coach and the right organization in place to manage the money with an eye to the future. If you want more information on Nebraska's model you can go to (dare I say it on this board).

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=45822&DB_OEM_ID=100

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

15. DBT

The Buffs can't pack a stadium playing, say, Western Kentucky.

16. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

Dare I say, Buffs have a weak fan base, start winning and win for 40 years and then the money will be there!

17. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

We can revisit WHY NU needs to schedule at LEAST 7 home games/yr again...nobody seems to believe this is the reason.

18. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

It is a foundation for the University of Colorado, which includes athletics. From time to time, they do make donations to the athletic department, where appropriate.

19. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

My response to your post was kinda rhetorical because I already knew the above. Point being the CU AD doesn't have the kind of fund we're talking about with the fuskers.

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Thanks for that.

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This is nearly identical to the pricing structure at Folsom except we have about 35,000 fewer seats. No, I'm not kidding.

22. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Sorry, but this is utter bullsh*t. Sure, in comparison to Nebraska, the CU fanbase is weak. But that's simply not a fair comparison. Name me another school anywhere that could endure the kind of crap we've endured the last 5 years and still manage to put 50K+ into the stadium every week? Name me another school that would travel 10K strong to watch a crap-ola team at Cal. Sure, there are a few, but damn few, and CU is one of them. So enough already about the weak fanbase.

1 person likes this.
  23. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

kNU also has the fortunate designation of being the only entertainment in Lincoln other than cow-tipping and sheep ****ing

24. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor Club Member Club Member

Thoughts and comments like this are just no more then making excuses. I've seen it dozens of times on this board.

Buff fans have to get past it to make it easier to succeed.

25. Del

Del Member

While the comments may come off as "rude" there are some valid points to the argument. Nebraska enjoys a competitive advantage that CU doesn't from an entertainment perspective. With the state of the economy right now disposable income is at a premium. CU has to compete with 3 major professional teams, National parks, ski resorts and two other college teams for the same limited dollar. NU does not face any of these challenges and is the major attraction for disposable income in the state.

While these are challenges, they can be overcome with an influx of money into the athletic dept. People want to pay to see a good product on the field and until CU can produce that, it will continue to be a challenge to get season ticket holders to reup and sell out the stadium. Things will not change until the CU admin finally "gets it" and pumps some money into the program. Do this and we can turn all of these challenges into an advantage as far as recruiting both students and atheletes. As far as our fanbase is concerned, while not as "strong" as NU's, I give it a lot of props for the amount of fans that come to the games, buy season tickets given the ****ty product on the field the past 10yrs. Our attendence is averaging over 90% and with 4 going on maybe 5 losing seasons without a bowl game that is still pretty impressive.

26. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

way too many words for the redclad loons Austin. Good post though, fuskers typically refuse to acknowledge what you posted.

27. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I've got to believe that slush fund wouldn't be nearly as large if it weren't for those huge Government subsidies that pay farmers and distort market pricing.

By the power of the agricultural lobby, the Huskers have wealthy benefactors beyond what is reasonable in a free market. That slush fund has nothing to do with the hard work of small business owners and the average tax payer. Nebraska's success is thanks to a corrupt command and control governmental subsidy system that picks winners and losers. Red is a fitting color for Nebraska. Any Chinese or Soviet finance minister would appriciate the Huskers for playing the system.

28. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I believe some of our wealthy benefactors would come back if there was even an ounce of support from the university for CU athletics and if we would take some action with our abysmal football coaching situation.

However, we are stuck in reverse and there isn't much farther to go. Thanks DII for burning this program to the ground.

29. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

CU happens to be in the top 20 of all-time winning programs, so I would say we have a tradition of winning over the past 100 years. I don't begrudge unl's fund raising, I wish we could do the same. The notion that we are not an all-time winning program is pure ignorance.

30. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I knew someone would make a trip into the gutter sooner or later.