What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

fusker slush fund paid off the Big12

Thoughts and comments like this are just no more then making excuses. I've seen it dozens of times on this board.

Buff fans have to get past it to make it easier to succeed.

I disagree. I believe it's reality.

Can you not acknowledge that the environments in which fan bases are created differ from school to school? Can you not acknowledge that CU's team faces a lot of competition to gain support that nebraska doesn't?

Again, it's not an excuse, it's just a reality for our fan base.

Let me know what you think.

I have never met someone, or heard anyone say "I am debating if I should go on a hike, or to the game tomorrow". Im sure it does happen, and is an issue, but not nearly as big as CU fans make it out to be. Not even close.

I have never met someone, or heard anyone say "I am debating if I should go on a hike, or to the game tomorrow". Im sure it does happen, and is an issue, but not nearly as big as CU fans make it out to be. Not even close.

I don't think you understand the issue.

If hiking wasn't available. If the Broncos/Avs/Rockies/Nuggets weren't there...if skiing wasn't close by, what would people do? You really don't think there wouldn't be more CU and CSU fans out there?

You've narrowed it down to a ridiculous game day situation. This is an issue of bigger picture competition for the entertainment dollar and attention.

For the record, I wouldn't change a thing about Colorado, and the wonderful opportunities the state provides. But your hypothetical is an absolute non-sequiter in this debate.

You do not belong in this thread. CSU has one of the weakest supports I've ever seen. CU looks like Nebraska compared to CSU.

I don't think you understand the issue.

If hiking wasn't available. If the Broncos/Avs/Rockies/Nuggets weren't there...if skiing wasn't close by, what would people do? You really don't think there wouldn't be more CU and CSU fans out there?

You've narrowed it down to a ridiculous game day situation. This is an issue of bigger picture competition for the entertainment dollar and attention.

For the record, I wouldn't change a thing about Colorado, and the wonderful opportunities the state provides. But your hypothetical is an absolute non-sequiter in this debate.

Ok, then by that same argument Nebraska fans could lament that the state population is less than half of Colorado's. So wouldn't that result in more CU/CSU fans then NU fans? These are all factors but like I said, VERY SMALL in the grand scheme of things.

You do not belong in this thread. CSU has one of the weakest supports I've ever seen. CU looks like Nebraska compared to CSU.

I understand that, and Im not even taking a shot at CU's attendance or support. I would actually say its pretty impressive given the situation with the Head Coach. I just think the "There is so much else to do in Colorado" argument is pretty weak.

Ok, then by that same argument Nebraska fans could lament that the state population is less than half of Colorado's. So wouldn't that result in more CU/CSU fans then NU fans? These are all factors but like I said, VERY SMALL in the grand scheme of things.

Half the population and much, much more than twice the competition.

I believe that it's a far more significant factor than you do.

Each environment (not just Colorado and nebraska) is dynamic and different. But whichever husker said (paraphrased) "just win for 40 years and you'll be fine" was probably the closest to correct. There are many factors, and I believe them to be significant. But winning trumps all, and a successful program will find the success its fans craves. On that, I suspect we agree.

Each environment (not just Colorado and nebraska) is dynamic and different. But whichever husker said (paraphrased) "just win for 40 years and you'll be fine" was probably the closest to correct. There are many factors, and I believe them to be significant. But winning trumps all, and a successful program will find the success its fans craves. On that, I suspect we agree.

Absolutely agree. Im sure in the early 90s a ticket to Folsom was damn hard to come by.

Absolutely agree. Im sure in the early 90s a ticket to Folsom was damn hard to come by.

Nope. We didn't sell out every game that season.

Too many people saying, "should I go hiking today, or watch a football game in Boulder".

when I was a student, I absolutely sometimes went on ski trips instead of going to the game. Absolutely. That **** happens.

Wait a minute, it's not like we've been perennial doormats. As I said in a previous post, CU is in the top 20 in terms of total wins in all of college football. The other factor is that there are a lot of non-natives in this state, how many people move to Nebraska from other states? A lot of folks come to Colorado with other loyalties and just don't care about CU.

If worrying about the environment, complaining about the government, and the pursuit of outdoor enjoyment were subsidized the same as corn, then CU's slush fund would totally kick Nebraska's ass.

Every time you pay federal income tax, or buy corn or corn by-products, a little bell rings on the Nebraska slush fund hotline.

Wait a minute, it's not like we've been perennial doormats. As I said in a previous post, CU is in the top 20 in terms of total wins in all of college football. The other factor is that there are a lot of non-natives in this state, how many people move to Nebraska from other states? A lot of folks come to Colorado with other loyalties and just don't care about CU.

You have about as many wins as Miami of Ohio...that stat is pointless bud.

You have about as many wins as Miami of Ohio...that stat is pointless bud.

Except for the fact that Miami, Ohio has always been in a ****ty conference. Colorado has finished in the top ten under 4 different coaches and finished in the top 5 under 3 different coaches. Colorado has also finished in the top 10 in 4 different decades.

Do you think Miami, Ohio has done that?

Speaking of Miami, Colorado has more wins than any of the Florida powerhouses.

Last edited:
I've got to believe that slush fund wouldn't be nearly as large if it weren't for those huge Government subsidies that pay farmers and distort market pricing.

By the power of the agricultural lobby, the Huskers have wealthy benefactors beyond what is reasonable in a free market. That slush fund has nothing to do with the hard work of small business owners and the average tax payer. Nebraska's success is thanks to a corrupt command and control governmental subsidy system that picks winners and losers. Red is a fitting color for Nebraska. Any Chinese or Soviet finance minister would appriciate the Huskers for playing the system.

If this is true then Iowa should have a larger slush fund than Nebraska. In 2005 Iowa harvested 2.2 billion bushels and Nebraska only harvested 1.27 billion bushels.

Huh? No idea what your point is, I know that facts sometimes confuse fuskers.

Why our win record won't likely be overtaken by Miami of Ohio anytime (too) soon, we are likely to drop another three or four spots if we don't right this ship soon. Ouch.

Why our win record won't likely be overtaken by Miami of Ohio anytime (too) soon, we are likely to drop another three or four spots if we don't right this ship soon. Ouch.

For some reason nobody is getting my point, huskermack said "Maybe if you fellers done started winning some games, folks and their kin would start watchin." My point is THAT WE ARE WINNERS, maybe not the last four years, but we are one of the most winning programs in CFB. Therefore, the culture and atmosphere are different vs. fuskerland and we've always had challenges selling out Folsom.

For some reason nobody is getting my point, huskermack said "Maybe if you fellers done started winning some games, folks and their kin would start watchin." My point is THAT WE ARE WINNERS, maybe not the last four years, but we are one of the most winning programs in CFB. Therefore, the culture and atmosphere are different vs. fuskerland and we've always had challenges selling out Folsom.

I got your point. However, there's a different level of winning that brings in more folks as well. I remember seeing Koy Detmer Jerseys in San Diego in the mid 90s. Folks were on board back then. If we were to sustain that for a longer period of time, we'd likely have a larger, more devoted following.

But I like that our fans tend to me more closely affiliated with the university than a school like nebraska. But I guess I want their cash flow too--I can't have it both ways.

I am sorry I did not make that clear, everybody knows all we do in Nebraska is grow corn. There is not another job to be found in Nebraska.

That's not true. You've got to support the corn farmers--there's plenty of convenience store jobs.

I guess I normally associate bushels with wheat, which is why I asked.

So why the **** did you guys name yourselves the "cornhuskers" if you play second fiddle to Iowa? You guys are frauds, in my mind.

Good point...but how many "buffalo" do you think can be found in Colorado?

Thank God Mania is here to defend teh huskers.

The misnomer of our mascot is part of the charm, in my opinion. If nebraska chose an inadvertantly named something or other that didn't even exist on the continent, it would have been kind of cool. After the settlers misnamed the bison (which once thrived in Colorado) as Buffalo, why not run with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true then Iowa should have a larger slush fund than Nebraska. In 2005 Iowa harvested 2.2 billion bushels and Nebraska only harvested 1.27 billion bushels.

Iowa's too busy bailing it's players out of jail to spend that money on anything else.

Back