What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

Uhh, what?

CU needs this to be a 2 for 1 at the very least due to the 9 game conf schedule and both of the 2 have to be at home. Just have to be. That's the bottom line. If CSU doesn't like that, then CU will go elsewhere. Everything else is dross. The extension by Bohn was so, so, SO dumb.

Outside of that overriding point. We gain minimal extra money from the game compared to Folsom. This series is a huge win for CSU financially.

Would we make a little less money? Sure, but the scheduling flexibility is more than worth it. ANd with the new renovations to Folsom, maybe that money difference really shrinks.

Then there is the on field benefits, which are meh. Let CSU play in their sandbox, and CU in ours.
Yup, I can understand that.

I think it's fantastic you guys can schedule far better 2 for 1s. I don't disagree. Stoked you'll have that opportunity
I didn't say 2 for 1s, but certainly straight road games with no promise of return. For example - Boston College last year, Minnesota coming up (which does have them coming to FoCo).

CU at CSU would always be a sell out. Always. Hell, probably at Folsom too. If CSU can make more money in 1 off body bag games that leave their stadium completely empty or half empty, more power to them.

Thank you RG. Thank you for listening to the fans, and not treating CSU as an equal.

Yup, I can understand that.

I didn't say 2 for 1s, but certainly straight road games with no promise of return. For example - Boston College last year, Minnesota coming up (which does have them coming to FoCo).

Those games don't move the meter with Rams fans. The CU game is the game that motivates Rams fans to care. CSU needs this game much more than CU does. No other opponent draws the casual fans attention to the program.

Those games don't move the meter with Rams fans. The CU game is the game that motivates Rams fans to care. CSU needs this game much more than CU does. No other opponent draws the casual fans attention to the program.
I would agree with that. That's definitely part of the reason why I'd be disappointed to see the series ended. However, I was primarily speaking from the stance of (current) national relevance. Beating CU last year was helpful for CSU to be able to say look, we beat two P5 teams, but the caveat to follow was that CU was one of the worst P5 teams in the entire nation. Subbing almost any other P5 team would have been more helpful in terms of the Access Bowl dreams that eventually went down the tubes. Playing CU last year was a no-win situation for every CU opponent - the same thing some CU fans say about CSU (which I agree is true when CSU is horrible).

I think both fan bases could do well to have a little more respect for the other/other team. That said, I realize I'm on an opposing fan site. If CU fans really do hate this game, and I've read that a lot, there is no reason why CU should keep it up.

2020 is a long ways away, I expect to see CSU's tune change when that new stadium comes along

This is meant to be a legitimate point, not purely inflammatory. While a 2-1 gets CSU a solid home game every 3 years there is no doubt CSU could schedule far more interesting road opponents if that was what had to happen. CU is far better off conference/historical/money-wise, I completely acknowledge that, but at present most arguments you could make about one team you could make about the other as well. Maybe we are both getting a little big for ourselves? Or maybe both just need to move on.
CU undoubtedly would bring a sellout every home game you may have with them. I am sure CSU could sign a 2 for 1 with someone else, but still wouldn't bring the excitement to your fan base as CU brings. This has been long over due. Long over due.

2020 is a long ways away, I expect to see CSU's tune change when that new stadium comes along

Love this move-more proof we finally have the right AD. I hope RG continues with the packages that will allow us as season ticket holders to buy just the Folsom games and pass on the CSU game if we want.

I won't shed any tears for the death of the series. I f the rams want to play CU, do it at Folsom. Otherwise, UC-Davis probably has an opening for CSU.

How much would CU have to pay to dump this series before 2020?

I'd rather see a few games against NAIA teams than play CSU again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. End it. Game means nothing to CU and too much to CSU. Will be a blessing for both parties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much would CU have to pay to dump this series before 2020?

I'd rather see a few games against NAIA teams than play CSU again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever the cost, it's probably not worth doing. I agree with RG to simply let the series die. It sounds like he was willing to negotiate an extension to the series but only if the game was immediately moved to campus. CSU wasn't willing to do that. So they get what's left on this contract and that's it. If CSU was smart, they'd have agreed immediately. They could have opened up their brand new stadium with a game against CU. Now they'll open it up with a game against... um, Sacramento State? Southern Utah?

The Utah / BYU series died with Utah moving to the P-12. I don't think keeping games on the schedule every year that are out of conference is possible given the 9 game conference schedule.

In the future didn't the P5 say that 1 OOC game will need to be against a P5 in another conference. That will only leave 2 OOC games, and every team will make sure they have the allowed 1 cupcake, which means there will only be room for 1 OOC game on everyone's schedule.

I think both fan bases could do well to have a little more respect for the other/other team.
I actually agree with this, and I would argue that playing each other every single year has had the perverse effect of decreasing the respect on both sides. The series, in its current construction, brings out the worst in both sides.

Take a few years off (or a decade), and if you renew the series, do so in a structure where each side isn't incentivized to demonize the other.

Ya, Frank will deliver that thing.... probably right around 2020

I actually think this fits with a larger trend that I see coming- P5 OOC schedules becoming exclusively cupcakes and other P5 schools. There's too much to lose by playing an MWC school, and MWC schools are certainly going to be better/more competitive than FCS schools. So, for the Pac 12 schools, you'll see them play two cupcakes and another P5 school. Just my .02.

I wanna see RG take this even further-No more games with the Goats after 2020, and no game in Fort Collins in 2020. The only way I set up any sort of "series" more than the 2 for 2 we scheduled with Nebraska would be to play the Cornshuckers on an consistent basis. That idea makes some sense given the push to play one P5 OOC game a year.

I wanna see RG take this even further-No more games with the Goats after 2020, and no game in Fort Collins in 2020. The only way I set up any sort of "series" more than the 2 for 2 we scheduled with Nebraska would be to play the Cornshuckers on an consistent basis. That idea makes some sense given the push to play one P5 OOC game a year.

I see were you are coming from; however if the Goats get their new stadium done before 2020 it may be a great opportunity to play in each others home stadiums. What fun. CU gets a quality win and the Goats get on television. Who knows they may even be respectable? As far as CU playing the Huskers every year. That's not going to happen. Nebraska needs to recruit outside of the area and their OOC schedule needs to reflect that for exposure. Although it would be fun to go to Boulder and paint that place Red every other year.

I wanna see RG take it further too. Two things I would like:

1) as someone already mentioned, end the series now or definitely after this year. Don't we have a contract with the stadium though? What financial penalty is there?? Is it possible to end it before 2020?

2) I'd like to see RG end the series with CSU in all sports. Don't restart it in volleyball. Stop the series in mens and womens basketball, soccer, tennis, etc.

We've had a nice stadium and environment to play in through the whole series with CSU. They can enjoy their new stadium with another team.

I see were you are coming from; however if the Goats get their new stadium done before 2020 it may be a great opportunity to play in each others home stadiums. What fun. CU gets a quality win and the Goats get on television. Who knows they may even be respectable? As far as CU playing the Huskers every year. That's not going to happen. Nebraska needs to recruit outside of the area and their OOC schedule needs to reflect that for exposure. Although it would be fun to go to Boulder and paint that place Red every other year.

assuming CSU drops off the Buffs schedule, who do you want to see added, and what terms do you think are realistic in terms of being negotiated in the near term?

Last edited:
Kind of a savvy PR move to drop this nugget to Ringo today. The hardcore fanbase, e.g the message board crazies like us, are the ones most dissatisfied with the series, it makes for a nice distraction from the general negative buzz around the state of recruiting and the DC search.

Back