1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the NCAA...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Aug 17, 2011.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

After reading about Miami, it is hard to think how anything less than the DP, will satisfy soome. Given that the list of offending/currently investigated schools is long:

Miami
    GT
    UNC
    Auburn
    tOSU
    USC
    Oregon

What is the tipping point? The NCAA is under a lot of pressure to penalize and enforce rules because this stuff comes to the surface much more easily in the world of the internet, but then again, the NCAA is a voluntary organization. When will the big boys who can make tons of $$$$ through their AD's simply say: "See ya NCAA"?

2. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

3. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Hit schools where it hurts. Make the punishment so severe that teams don't even want to run the risk of violating the rules. I think that's with $$$$ punishments.

If you make OSU pay up all the $$$$ it made while playing with ineligable players (it must repay any TV $$$, pay ALL of its ticket sale $$$, and all it's potential bowl game $$$$). Then prevent them from being put on TV for 4 years. Postseason ban for 4 years.

Miami, same deal. They'll be paying through the nose. Pay back all $$$$ earned for the last 8 years. TV ban for 16 years. Postseason ban for 16 years.
    I bet every other school would hire a few more compliance people if that's what came down at Miami. Nobody wouldn't want to risk that penalty, thus nobody would risk cheating.

4. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Great minds think alike, lefty. I was just thinking the same thing.

I do think if the superconferences happen, they will give serious thought to leaving the NCAA, but they would still need to police themselves in some fashion. It will be interesting to watch.

5. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

I dont think they have enough investigators to get around fast enough. these stories are starting to come out every couple of weeks.

6. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Money should be part of the solution, but the ADs and coaches need to have some skin in the game, too. Guys like Skippy the Weasel and Pete Carroll just skip off to the next team when the NCAA comes knocking. That needs to stop.

7. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

University presidents are cheap bastards (as long as it's not their salary/perks), and it would add a large cost to develop rule and police themselves, so they may tolerate the NCAA. But I really don't know how the NCAA is currently funded, so maybe it's a wash and they would leave.

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think it's only a matter of time. With big time power brokers like Delany and Scott openly saying that athletes should be paid, it's not too long before they start to wonder why they're dealing with the NCAA at all.

9. OriginalWhiz

OriginalWhiz Member

I think paying players would solve a lot of problems. It's too much of a temptation, and as we've seen, boosters are going to pay players anyway. Might as well make it legal and do it all above-board, through the school. After all, with the BILLIONS of dollars college football and basketball players are bringing in, it's only fair. Jersey sales in particular, it really bothers me that so many people will buy a player's jersey but the player won't see a dime.

It wouldn't take care of situations like Hole, where the head coach and compliance officer were actively involved in cheating via recruiting. But it would take care of the situations like at Ohio State, USC, and Miami.

10. OrangeBowl

OrangeBowl Club Member Club Member

I wish I could say money isn't the problem,its the people.Unfortunately money is the problem and I think its the only solution.If athletes on scholarship aren't allowed to get jobs you gotta give them a better stipend.Indigent probably isn't the right word for how these guys are forced to live,but its close.