What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

fyi - Mac supposed to be on 87.7

There's nothing at all wrong with his argument, but he needs to articulate it differently. Rather than just directly saying that having a diverse campus helps kids from different backgrounds settle in away from home he's coming off poorly. He doesn't need to be saying 'brother' and 'great black athlete' etc...

I get it, I think we all understand Mac gets it, just wish he'd say it differently in this day and age.

Bingo - but that's what I love about old guys - you eventually just stop giving two ****s about what people think of you after you say something and you just say it! Go Mac!

Notice how he just said he wanted a black man to be coach. Not one word about Eb or Embree. Also keeps using the term " the great black athlete" as if their some sort of a unique species.

I'm glad he is willingly to openly discuss this issue. Too many people are afraid to even talk about it.

Kudos for that.

I disagree with his emphasis on the coach being a black guy. The example of Mac himself refutes the argument that the coach has to be black. The great point he does bring up, however, is that we need a coach and staff that is very aware of the need to make black recruits (any minority, really - Poly and Latino kids too) see how great Boulder can be for them and help them find their stride in a town where they do draw attention for looking different. That once they get past that initial feeling that maybe they are uncomfortable, they realize that Boulder is very liberal and is live and let live. Great, open-minded place where they can have a wonderful 4-5 years, get a great education, play big time football, and maybe find a place to raise a family later in life.

:yeahthat:

There's nothing at all wrong with his argument, but he needs to articulate it differently. Rather than just directly saying that "having a diverse campus helps kids from different backgrounds settle in away from home", he's coming off poorly. He doesn't need to be saying 'brother' and 'great black athlete' etc...

I get it, I think we all understand Mac gets it, jsut wish he'd say it differently in this day and age.

and :yeahthat:

i'm not listening, but from the comments this sounds bad - really bad. What the **** is mac's agenda? And has the hire even been made official yet? What is mac doing?!? Is he just trying to make a joke of the university?

I wouldn't say that, on it's face, it's that bad. It's just something that the national media would pick up and run with and it wouldn't be good. Like i said, there's nothing wrong with WHAT he's saying, it's just HOW he's saying it.

Oh, geez, Mac. Don't bring up daughters being safe. Please think about the context in which we are listening.

i'm not listening, but from the comments this sounds bad - really bad. What the **** is mac's agenda? And has the hire even been made official yet? What is mac doing?!? Is he just trying to make a joke of the university?
I don't think he's trying to make a joke of the university. I think he's very, very sincere in what he's trying to do. It just doesn't seem to be presented in the best way.

Bingo - but that's what I love about old guys - you eventually just stop giving two ****s about what people think of you after you say something and you just say it! Go Mac!

In that respect it really is entertaining, I do appreciate the **** it, I'm gonna say what I want attitude! LOL

"Let's face it, there's people up there in Boulder that don't like me."

Go Mac go! YES!!

I don't have a problem with what he is saying because it's true, and in today's day and age everybody wants to sugarcoat things and tip toe around the real issues.

We (and Mac) are fortunate that CJ is a friendly interviewer. This could be a mine field with a hostile reporter. Tables can turn quite suddenly.

in '82 black athletes were conspicuous by there absence. I came from Michigan whith a history of black athletes. They took ownership of the program. Didn't have it at CU. We created a culture of that at CU.

CJ says, Mac, I know you but people listening to you for the first time would be offended. "tough to digest." How do you respond to those critics.

Mac: It is true but most recognize the importance of diversity. In Boulder we have very few black students even in a day when racial relations are improveing. As a coach you can't ignore it. How do you make a black kid feel comfortable. Mac hired black coaches to makd the black kid feel comfortable. Mac loves Boulder. Mac had more black assistants than any NCAA school. Mac told black kids to get ready for Boulder and to love Boulder. But Boulder has a diversity problem. If you are going to be competive, you have to be diverse. Thats why I love this hire. God knows I didn't want to come back. When a young black athlete realizes that he is accepted in Boulder, he will love it.

CJ: Two things are striking. Mac an example of both sides. When next coach should understand the family, Mac wasn't part of the family when he came. Mac established the culture. Mac said the best way to bridge the racial gap is to hire a black coach. Thats exactly what Mac did. He created an environment where black kids were comfortable.

Mac: By being at Michigan, my eyes were open. When he saw the relatioinship with black athletes and Bo, he wanted that. Ironically, when he left CU, he wanted Simmons. Why? Why not Rick. Because he understood the culture. Rick flurished the first couple of years but deteriorated. GB was special. He brought back Mac's culture.

CJ: about JE, everyone trusts Mac's blueprint. What would you tell JE to do?

Mac: Glad you asked. Sky's the limit. We belong in the Pac. GReat fit. This will take a while. If I'd been selected, I'd have to be PC but not now. Best case, JE and EB come together. JE is classy. Presedential. EB is a dynamo unlike anyone I've coahced. They need each other. I can see them being great together. The OC is the most important. Nothing like the OC. If EB comes here and masters it, doors will open. We don't have enough depth. We have to add depth. Will take a while. Mac was willing to take that hit. Give these guys a chance. Don't judge them. Give them a chance for a couple of years. Let them lay the foundation. EB and JE are comfortably in Cal. We want to establish a presence in Colorado but have to recruint Cal and LA. You can come to CU and not worry about life off campus. If your daughter is in Boulder, you don't have to worry about her. The environment is great in Boulder. The sky's the limit. Give them a chance and watch where it goes.

CJ: What will your role be? Assume JE and EB will be there.

Mac: Laughing. As it relatest to EB and JE, "I'm putty in there hands." I'll do what they want me to do. Having said that, I'm not sure everyone on Boulder wants me around.

CJ: Given your success, do your think there is a better advocate for Boulder than you?

Mac: you should be a reporter. I'm trying to dance. I shouldn't answer because I don't want to mess things up. Don't want to imply I should be involved, but if JE, EB, CJ, etc, I'll do it. We created a pact for life. But I don't want to impose myself because not everyone in Boulder wants me around.

CJ: Even people with half a brain would want Mac. There will be critics of Mac because of Mac's language. You are the greatest advocate for CU. I hope JE and EB use you.

Mac: CJ, I have one favor of you.

CJ: What?

Mac: Make sure you get EB here.

Sorry, I suck at typing. This is the best I could do.

CJ with a little gentle chastising at the end...
"C'mon Grandpa, put down the scotch (figurative we know Mac doesn't drink) and let's go to bed."

He took a real shot at slick rick. Saying that rick's success was strictly because of the depth of talent he left behind.

I loved his shot at Slick. :lol: Basically, Rick benefited from the culture I'd set up for the first couple of years but then went downhill. GB brought it back. We need to bring it back.

I loved his shot at Slick. :lol: Basically, Rick benefited from the culture I'd set up for the first couple of years but then went downhill. GB brought it back. We need to bring it back.

Ultimate lesson here: ZEN **** DON'T WORK IN BOULDER!

Notice how he just said he wanted a black man to be coach. Not one word about Eb or Embree. Also keeps using the term " the great black athlete" as if their some sort of a unique species.

That's the type of comment that could be made much better. Just say "we are so fortunate to have a couple great coaches in the family. Colorado is getting a great coach in Jon Embree, and if Eric comes with him, we are getting two great coaches. And personally, I am excited that we are getting two great coaches who happen to be African-American. There is a real need for that influence in Boulder." He obviously believes a lot in JE and EB, but by talking about wanting a black coach as his primary point, he buries the faith he has in them as coaches...

CJ is pointing out that Mac's reference to "black man" is from his era. Don't get caught up in his terminology. Listen to his message. You can tell CJ views Mac like a father.

Yikes. Ok, he took a well deserved shot at slick rick. Is that acceptable?

His point was not to take a shot at Rick. It was to argue that it is important to make CU appealing to African-American kids. Rick didn't do that.

Back