1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Recap: CU 60, Baylor 72

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Ugly shooting night for the Buffs. That's pretty much the story here.

If, before the game, I would have told you the following stats, I'm pretty sure you would have all thought it was a CU win:

CU +9 on the offensive glass
    CU +7 in turnovers, only committing 6
    CU +2 in fouls despite playing basically on the road

But we lost by 12.

Free throws?

CU was 14/22 (64%). Baylor was 16/23 (70%). We weren't good, but it wasn't much of a factor.

2pt field goals?

CU was 20/50 (40%). Baylor was 16/34 (47%). On the surface it looks like a factor, but the offensive rebounding and turnover edge CU had canceled it out. By taking 16 more shots from 2pt range, the Buffs actually ended up with 8 more points here.

3pt field goals?

BINGO!

CU was 2/19 (10%). Baylor was 8/19 (42%). Same number of shots and Baylor goes +18 in points here. Ballgame.

Individual Stat lines for the Buffs:

Jam Scott: 15 pts, 11 rebs, 0 asts
    Mayor Dinwiddie: 10 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts
    Ski Booker: 10 pts, 4 rebs, 3 asts
    Wes Gordon: 9 pts, 8 rebs, 1 asts
    X Johnson: 8 pts, 3 rebs, 0 asts (foul trouble really hurt here)
    Dustin Thomas: 3 pts, 3 rebs, 0 asts
    Jaron Hopkins: 2 pts, 1 reb, 0 asts
    Tre Fletcher: 2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asts
    George King: 1 pts, 1 rebs, 0 asts
    Ben Mills: 0 pts, 1 rebs, 1 asts
    X Talton: 0 pts, 0 rebs, 0 asts

Game MVP for CU was definitely Scott. And this was against the best frontcourt he'll face all year other than Arizona. Great debut by Wes Gordan as his battery mate on the front line, too.

2. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

We will be fine I think.

3. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Gotta get more than 28 combined points from Dinwiddie/Johnson/Booker.

And that 2/19...yikes. God help the Buffs if they ever open the season on an aircraft carrier.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Kind of reminds me of our early season loss at csu a couple of years ago where we shot, like, 20% from the FT line. By the end of the year we were decent. Hopefully, that will happen this year with our outside shooting.

5. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

As much as it pains me to say it, we really need a guy like Heslip on this team. Maybe some unheralded Colorado kid will emerge in his senior season and we can use the newly free scholarship on him.

6. CVilleBuff

Yep. I would constantly be looking out for a 3 point sharpshooter transfer. They're around every year. Nothing can blow open a game like having that weapon in your arsenal as a team and we just do not have it.

7. Buffnik

The strange thing about it is that Tad is more aware of this than most people. He made his career at mid-majors like Wichita State and Northern Colorado where the only way to close the talent gap and beat a high major is to rain 3s on them. He knows how important this is.

8. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

My stream went out near the end of the 1st half, so hard for me to really know for sure what it was that lost the game. But would guess it was 3 point shooting that did CU in.

Dinwiddie and Askia have to perform better then they did tonight. Props to the Mayor for taking blame for the loss. What you expect from your best player.

I still have major worries whether we will see a legitimate half court offense (didn't look like one, from what I saw)

9. CVilleBuff

It's definitely rearing its ugly head yet again. We just have to hope that this 5 game stretch helps us iron things out before the Harvard/@ Air Force/@ Colorado State stretch. If we fail to run a proper half court offense, Harvard or CSU will beat us. For all the new faces, this game had more flashbacks to frustrations of the past than I even want to list. Thankfully its inevitable that our freshmen will continue to grow, but additionally this game needs to be a major wakeup call for Spencer. Hopefully it proves to be a blessing in disguise.

10. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I'm not down on this team, but I think losing Dre, combined with a tough schedule and youth, 20 wins may be tough.

11. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Lulz

12. Buffnik

Tonight, we needed a Levi Knutson much more than we needed a Dre. If we continue to dominate the offensive glass and turnover margin, this team is going to be very, very good.

13. CVilleBuff

It is puzzling. We clearly need this. You can either find the guy at a mid-major who is itching to end his career playing big time college basketball, or else find guys from major programs who are disillusioned with where they're currently at for any host of reasons. Every year there's a shuffling of this breed of player transferring around. It's so valuable, I would gladly use a spot for us to get a guy like this. For as much as Heslip has terrorized us, he's had his share of ice cold games at Baylor, but that's just the nature of this type of player. Even when they're not hitting, the threat they pose is invaluable, and when they're on it just completely transforms an otherwise evenly-matched game. Find yourselves tied with opposition and suddenly 1 minute later you're up 9. Just deadly.

14. rolandftw

To be fair, CU probably doesn't play too many teams this year that have a combo as good as Austin and Jefferson.

15. rolandftw

Yeah, glad that we get 4-5 games to work through some of the issues. In hindsight, would have been nice to have a few of those games before playing a team as good as Baylor.

16. CVilleBuff

Definitely not. I've had a sneaking suspicion ever since the schedule was announced that we might end up doing better against Oklahoma State than Baylor, for a variety of reasons. We'll see if I'm crazy or proven correct.

17. CVilleBuff

Diving right into this type of game with so many freshmen can be deadly, as we saw. It will pay off for us down the road against Harvard, KU and Okie Lite, but there were certainly some growing pains tonight (and some pains from upperclassmen who simply need to do better)

18. rolandftw

Probably have a better chance. More of a true neutral court, then this game was for starters. Smart and Brown are damn good guards though.

Still was surprised the offense was as bad as it was. Might have rivaled the KU game last year (at least the first half) in how bad it was.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Not buying it. Our juniors let us down tonight.

20. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

3PT shooting killed us tonight but this team will keep improving with the youth and this team is in good shape.

21. CVilleBuff

Really thought the offense would be better tonight. Granted, we had some painful performances on offense even the Burks and Higgins '10/'11 season, but we've got to find a way to get ourselves averaging at least well into the 70s or else our defense needs to be far better than expected.

22. CVilleBuff

I completely agree. That's basically what I was trying to imply, maybe I worded it weird. To simplify: Dinwiddie and Booker need to give us much, much more or else we're a middling Pac-12 team.

23. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I felt our bigs outplayed their bigs by a wide margin

Our guards were just horrible....I don't know what Booker and Dinwiddie were looking to do tonight...but it didn't work. XJ was a major non-factor.

I think Hopkins, DT and Fletch will play major minutes for us this year

24. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Chris Jenkins definitely would've gotten his chances when we were down to close the gap with some outside shooting.

We sure have a lot of wings though. Having one more dependable guy to plug in at the 4 or 5 would make me breathe easier when the fouls start accumulating in the 2nd half.

25. CVilleBuff

I wouldn't mind having an additional true SG, one who can hit from the bonusphere at a high clip.

26. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

Do you think we should take Tad's comments with a grain of salt. In his presser he started off by saying “I’ve been saying it the last three weeks now, we’re not as good as people think we are." I just do not know what to think. Rest of the article.. http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf9/2562074.pdf

27. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I'm sure you know more about the team than I do. Hope you're right about them!

28. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Agree with this. I was concerned their big boys would take us to school, that is supposed to be their strength. Scott and Gordon were strong up front. Our pride and joy was supposed to be our guard tandem. We are supposed to have a first round NBA draft pick back there and he is not a wet behind the ears redshirt freshmen. Only the first game but I'm pretty disappointed in our guards. Looked a lot like some of our big games last year.

29. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

Tad's teams start a little slowly and the 4 or 5 games in Europe last year were huge - great opportunity to jell is a team. It would be worth the expense to do that every year (if the AD had any money)

Spencer is a great player, but not quite the fiery, take-charge floor leader we need at times. We need someone with the type of attitude we used to get from Nate and Carlon. I think there are a couple of young players who can step up and do that.

It's Early - No Colorado whipped B12 co-champ K- state in Manhattan last night

30. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

I was surprised at how off Spencer was last night. He really struggled to finish at the rim. Overall, the shooting was aweful but we looked very capable on the glass. Jam looks GOOD. Our freshman are legit...