What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Recap: CU 60, Baylor 72

Do you think we should take Tad's comments with a grain of salt. In his presser he started off by saying “I’ve been saying it the last three weeks now, we’re not as good as people think we are." I just do not know what to think. Rest of the article.. http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf9/2562074.pdf

I'd take it at face value. We were awful last night and anyone who thinks Baylor is top 25 right now is fooling themselves. Their big guys are over-rated.

Our bigs played very well. Why not feed Scott more when we have their entire front line in foul trouble?

XJ was lost and it was more than foul trouble. That was not a step up. He has a great soft outside shot and he and Thomas should be taking that shot more. XJ has to be pretty open to get that shot off though as it's a bit slow in the release. Watch Heslip for what a quick 3-pt shot looks like. Spencer couldn't get out on that quick enough.

'Tini has stated famously that we have 3-4 NBA players on this team. I'd say we have 1 sure thing. One getting there, and a bunch of other guys that aren't considered even prospects at this point, but could get there with huge development. Every team can say that though.

I think Tad will get this team coached up to the point where we could get to the tourney, but we could also miss it entirely. Pretty much like every Tad team we've seen.

-Spencer is a sure fire NBA player, one game doesn't change that
-Scott will be an NBA player. He has abused Austin three times and he would have been a NBA draft pick if he would have came out (injured and stayed)
-Dinwiddie said Gordon has the most NBA potential of all the freshman he looked pretty good last night for his first game
-XJ will get back on track

Talk about an overreaction. Baylor is a good team, they have loads of talent combined with a below average scumbag of a coach. This team will be fine. The freshman will improve, and the offense did open up in the 2nd half. Looked like a lot of first game jitters, both from the freshman and the rest. This five game stretch will be huge for the team getting back in the groove.

Last edited:
Maybe Duke will let us take Dawkins of theirs hands. Their whole damn team can shoot, they wouldn't miss him much lol. In all seriousness, we definitely need a shooter.

We'll be fine. We had an uncharacteristically bad shooting night and we had five new players. I saw alot of positives. Gordon was very impressive to me.

One thing I will add too that impressed me was that, even tho it never felt like we took control of the game, we also had several chances to lay down and get blown out but the team kept fighting back. Something we haven't done as well in the past. I wouldn't say the defense looked good, but we looked better and Baylor didn't get a whole lot of easy buckets. Perimeter defense has to do a better job but still. I'm also worried that we don't have a true PG, or at least our guards don't really have PG handles/passing. We need someone to keep the defense moving and open up holes better.

Overall I was impressed. First game, I wasn't expecting us to come out dominant. Josh Scott is gooood goooooood.

If the Buffs have 4 NBA players on their roster yet can only find a way to score 60 points in 40 minutes that doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

BTW I believe we only have two legit NBA players at this point. Spencer and Scott. Tini overrating our talent WAY too much.

If the Buffs have 4 NBA players on their roster yet can only find a way to score 60 points in 40 minutes that doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

BTW I believe we only have two legit NBA players at this point. Spencer and Scott. Tini overrating our talent WAY too much.

There has been quite a few posts about people being worried about losing XJ and Scott to the NBA Draft after 2015 and Gordon was a monster for it being his first game. 3 is probably more reasonable but Gordon is going to be a monster when he's here.

XJ will be fine, he's a midrange and around the bucket type player to me. He hits an occasional three, bonus. He's 6'7", long athlete. I'd like to see him be a midrange player most of the time and use what he has.

Jury is still out on Dinwiddie for me. He has the mental game down in my opinion. Love his height. But we need him dribble driving and creating more kinda like Burks did and he just didn't look comfortable doing that last night. Part of why Scott was setting screens at the 3 pt line. I will wait to judge tho, things will get infinitely easier for our offense when we aren't facing such a stupidly big frontcourt that's capable of defending Scott and Gordon 1 on 1. Should definitely be more space to create when perimeter guys are having to double.

Didn't we have dre, Burks and Higgins on the roster at some point? Why is so hard to believe we have 3 or 4 NBA talents on the roster now? Just because they have NBA talent doesn't mean they are NBA ready.

Didn't we have dre, Burks and Higgins on the roster at some point? Why is so hard to believe we have 3 or 4 NBA talents on the roster now? Just because they have NBA talent doesn't mean they are NBA ready.

Exactly

Mayor, Jelly, XJ, and Gordon all have that potential. I was really impressed with Gordon last night, he played well. The younger guys, I haven't seen enough of them yet. Ski, I'm just not sure about. He might play some pro ball but idk if it would be in the NBA.

XJ will be fine, he's a midrange and around the bucket type player to me. He hits an occasional three, bonus. He's 6'7", long athlete. I'd like to see him be a midrange player most of the time and use what he has.

I'm too lazy to do this all on my phone (expected points and ****) but XJ is either a 3 point shooter (shot 44.6% from 3 last year) or a driver (69.2% from the rim), especially when you look at jg's post about the midrange game (only 27.8% from midrange last year). Most college players don't have that consistent midrange game, and XJ is not exception.

It is a lost art, no doubt. I didn't look up stats. I didn't realize he shot that well from three, how many attempts did he have? I'd rather see him drive more myself, he has length and that can't be taught. He'd be able to shoot over guys or hell just take it to the rack. I could be wrong tho, we'll see how he does going forward.

The team, as a whole, were not playing with any sense of urgency on offense for the whole first half and much of the second. They spent most of the game in a low gear. Shots were not falling in because they were hitting the front of the rim. There wasn't a lot of over shooting.

I could see a change in energy with about seven minutes left in the second. It's like a light turned on with XJ, Ski and Jelly, who all cranked it up a notch offensively and started to show some skills. By that point, it was too late to recover from a 9-10 point deficit. Hairlip getting hot an drain threes didn't help. Dinwoodie, on the other hand, appeared to be going through the motions, not exactly willing the team to victory and make good on his prediction to win by ten.

Boyle's got to find a way to crank up the intensity and get the talent play loose and with passion right out of the gate. Starting slow and playing catchup is not the way to win fans and influence (selection) people.

i liked what I saw from Wes Gordon. He was the newcomer that impressed me the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
XJ took 201 shots last year and 56 of them were 3's, so 27.9% of his shots were 3's

The way they are gonna call all the reach in stuff for awhile, I'd be ultra aggressive going to the basket. You just might get in the bonus pretty quick.

One more thing. Tre'shaun Fletcher had a big contingent of fans in attendance, all wearing #10 jerseys. This is impressive because they flew to Dallas from Tacoma, Washington to see Tre'Shaun play.

His mom was excited to learn the CU fight song. It's special to see this kind of support. I hope they can find a way to make it to many more games.

Having met his family, I am going to be a much bigger fan of Fletcher.

The way they are gonna call all the reach in stuff for awhile, I'd be ultra aggressive going to the basket. You just might get in the bonus pretty quick.

Absolutely, this really applies to Spencer and Scott (two of our better FT shooters). We need to feed it to Scott and let him draw fouls.

No doubt, I forget what game it was but they called like 59 fouls. Alot of points to be had, take advantage of it.

I'm not all that worried as we go down the road. There is a lot of chemistry work that Tad needs to do. But what I don't understand was the seeming lack of intensity given that we were playing a ranked team. It was just kind of weird to watch. A very pedestrian effort.

rough start for the Juniors. Great start for the frosh and sophs. Moving the needle from horrific to just bad on 3pt shooting and we win. Lots of promise. Hope Mayor responds well.

It's definitely rearing its ugly head yet again. We just have to hope that this 5 game stretch helps us iron things out before the Harvard/@ Air Force/@ Colorado State stretch. If we fail to run a proper half court offense, Harvard or CSU will beat us. For all the new faces, this game had more flashbacks to frustrations of the past than I even want to list. Thankfully its inevitable that our freshmen will continue to grow, but additionally this game needs to be a major wakeup call for Spencer. Hopefully it proves to be a blessing in disguise.

It was a tail of two halves, both were ugly in their own right - the first half we showed patience, there was some ball movement and we shot some good shots at the rim, we just missed them. The 2nd half was the same old s***, Booker taking mid-range jumpers early in the shot clock, passing around the perimeter and not getting the bigs (Scott) involved.

I couldn't help thinking last night that it would have been nice to have played an exhibition game before this one.

Another observation was that the Buffs got a lot of offensive rebounds but we seemed to miss too many put-backs and second chances.

Finally, was any one else as surprised as I was that all the true frosh played.

It would have been so nice to play UT Martin last Wednesday instead of tomorrow

Yawn. Here we go again.
The hell are you talking about? It would have been really nice to let the FRESHMAN get a game under their belts against a bad team rather than throwing them into the fire against a good Baylor. Basketball scheduling is 100% different than football scheduling and I have ZERO issues with the schedule this year, just that I wish we had a warm-up game.

Back