What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gameday at Coors -- my first season following CU hoops

At any random UVA game, there are always a few guys in Hokie gear. However, I give my Hokie friend lots of credit for staying true to VT during basketball season while many Hokies shed the VT gear for UNC or Duke (a very common thing to do in Virginia).
I'm used to the Duke only basketball fans, they're usually Notre Dame or some other brand football fans aka we need to root for only winning teams.

Well, thank you! :thumbsup:

i try to be loyal even when my team sucks -- I wore a VT shirt every single game day this year, and perversely I'm proud of it. Besides, I have so much orange and maroon clothing I have to do something with it. I'll start acquiring black & gold soon.:gobuffs:
I accumulated a lot of CU shirts just from going to basketball games during my time at CU. I doubt they're still giving them away like they used did back then.

This fierce loyalty to the tuba cheer is commendable. This dedication by you locals is making me proud to claim an association with your team.

...That being said, it's OUR Tuba Cheer, so even though I don't get much out of it, I'm completely okay with it and will defend it to the death if an outsider gives the band **** for it.

Last edited:
Hokie did you get a chance to see Ozell and his new sidekick during the games? He is our gymnast cheerleader that does flips the length of the court. Was widely considered the highlight of most football games.

Finally... it's ok not to do the C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O cheer. Most of us want that one to go away.

I remember a Missouri fan making fun of that cheer within earshot to me and Delpizzo a few years ago. I turned around and said, "at least we can spell our state's name."

He countered by saying that people were a bit lazy in Mizzou.

I laughed.

I know:

P1040005.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I saw him twice. yes, he's impressive.

Once was with Mrs. H (maybe UCSB? could've been Wyoming) and he was doing backflips in addition to the rest of the cheer duties. I remember because Mrs. H is a people watcher, and enjoys watching interactions. Apparently she was focused on him (I don't get jealous, rather assume it gives me permission to look), and at some point during the game she remarked "I'm pretty sure he gets laid a lot".

The other time he set a record for flips during half time, something absurd, can't remember the number. Those are the only two times though that I remember -- and I do tend to pay attention to the cheer and dance teams. :wow:

I knew a guy at Tech on the cheerleading team, we took statistics together over the summer, math education major. Anyone who makes fun of male cheerleaders should reconsider that position. This guy was telling me about it: he was on 1/2 scholarship; went to all the football games (home, away, bowl), all the home men's basketball games, conference tournaments (no post season for VT -- back then we didn't consistently make the Big East tourney); and he hung out with the cheerleaders. Other than not seeing all the games, it was hard to find a negative. I remember after the final, one dude was planning a small get together and asked the male cheerleader, who responded "well, the cheerleaders have this thing going on...". I remember going, "and you want to do that instead of hanging with the math club?"

[/I][/I]
Hokie did you get a chance to see Ozell and his new sidekick during the games? He is our gymnast cheerleader that does flips the length of the court. Was widely considered the highlight of most football games.

As far as the band goes, I would like to point out to you that this is their first year under a new director. The former director had that group rocking game in and game out. We got national praise by a few reporters during the NCAA tournament in 2012. Unfortunately, but not surprising there has been a large learning curve since the old director got stolen by Oregon State. What makes it equally frustrating is the current director will likely not be back next year as he was an interim hire. Could lead to another year or two of not measuring up to what the CU band expects of itself. Only "Battle of the Bands" we have ever lost was to Oregon during the Pac-12 Tournament in Los Angeles. Come to find out though that they are paid graduate students, so we didn't feel to bad.

To the bolded - seriously? I wasn't a big fan of the dude, but the band was starting to click a bit more at the end of the year. And now we get to go through another transition? Good God.

Hopefully the new hire will at least return to Dana's belief that "more is better". FILL THE DAMN BAND.

I think the real question is "how did we lose our band director to Oregon State?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the real question is "how did we lose our band director to Oregon State?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They offered him another 20k and the head director position of their music department.

To the bolded - seriously? I wasn't a big fan of the dude, but the band was starting to click a bit more at the end of the year. And now we get to go through another transition? Good God.

Hopefully the new hire will at least return to Dana's belief that "more is better". FILL THE DAMN BAND.

He is a finalist for the job on a permanent basis, however his interview with the students of the music school apparently was not nearly as good as the other candidates.

When it comes to band director, the most important thing is for the person to understand that leading the fun and playing as loud as possible is much more important than technical proficiency. A football or basketball game isn't a recital, it's a party. There is also a legacy thing with the band, so involvement from alums should be encouraged as much as possible. Going back to my first point, it doesn't matter if an alum is a bit rusty on an instrument and the music list... get his lips on a ****ing tuba if you've got a seat to fill and a ban alum who is willing.

When it comes to band director, the most important thing is for the person to understand that leading the fun and playing as loud as possible is much more important than technical proficiency. A football or basketball game isn't a recital, it's a party. There is also a legacy thing with the band, so involvement from alums should be encouraged as much as possible. Going back to my first point, it doesn't matter if an alum is a bit rusty on an instrument and the music list... get his lips on a ****ing tuba if you've got a seat to fill and a ban alum who is willing.
Great post!

Back