What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gameday - CU vs UT Martin (4pm MT)

Buffs win 91-65. Good to get a win in the book. A lot to improve on, Wyoming will be a good test on Wednesday

Josh Scott, Wes Gordon and Xavier Johnson are on the path to take over this team from Askia and Spenser.

The Mayor was relegated to drawing fouls and dishing the ball to shooters. Askia is looking for a role to play.

This team has a completely new look with Talton, King, Thomas and Fletcher in the mix.

Josh Scott, Wes Gordon and Xavier Johnson are on the path to take over this team from Askia and Spenser.

The Mayor was relegated to drawing fouls and dishing the ball to shooters. Askia is looking for a role to play.

This team has a completely new look with Talton, King, Thomas and Fletcher in the mix.
So pretty much what he did last year?

So pretty much what he did last year?

Last year he led the team is scoring with 505 points, 198 coming from FTs.
I would not be surprised if Josh or Wes or XJ end up as the scoring leader this season. I also would not be surprised if Spenser has a similar number of FTs, but fewer points.

So yeah, not pretty much what he did last year.

For all of the Gordon hype I was still skeptical but reading the box score from Wednesday and seeing the game today I am very happy with what he is producing. I am already excited for the Flash and Jelly show next year when they are further developed as grown ass men.

I would not be surprised if Josh or Wes or XJ end up as the scoring leader this season. I also would not be surprised if Spenser has a similar number of FTs, but fewer points.

I also wouldn't be upset at all if those things happen, especially if Dinwiddie replaces those points with assists...

Spencer got to the line A LOT last year. Obviously it was an exaggeration, but he was always at the line. His FTA/FGA ratio last year was 75.9%, the nation average was 35.9%. So yeah, he was at the FT line a lot.

Colorado - Hoop Math (2012-2013)

I also wouldn't be upset at all if those things happen, especially if Dinwiddie replaces those points with assists...

Me, neither.

Spenser starts the campaign the face [and mustache] of the program. Dinwoodie is the first person that comes to mind as CU's future 1st round or lottery pick in the NBA. By the time conference play comes around, I wouldn't be surprised if the future NBA star power shifts from PG to a Forward.

This team does look like it has the potential to be more potent than previous Boyle teams, especially when they get going right from the tip off and play with a sense of urgency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the upside of this team. For the first time I can remember, we can put 5 reserves on the court and still look like a D1 team.

Biggest issue I'm seeing right now on defense is guarding the perimeter. We're giving way too many open looks from 3pt range and it's biting us in the ass. We have to make teams beat us in the mid-range.

Quick notes:

Jam Scott and Wes Gordon continue to impress. This frontcourt is good.

XJ and Mayor started to find their games today.

Dustin Thomas will be a big-time scorer for us over his career here.

J-Hop is one of the best athletes we've seen in a CU uniform.

Fletch is going to be a really good player for us. He can score in a variety of ways.

King is going to be the glue guy in this group of freshmen. Offense will develop, but it's going to be his defense and hustle where he make his mark.

Ski is finding his role and needs to understand that the team doesn't need him taking 15+ shots a night. He had a really nice play where he passed up a 3, took it to the hole, and had a beautiful dish to a big for an easy deuce. I can't get enough of that from him.

On to Wyoming on Wednesday. As we know, that game's all about defensively closing out on their jump shooters and hitting our 3s to break down their zone. This is something we've struggled badly with the past 2 years as they've taken us apart. Rivalry game. We're 35-42 against the Cowboys all-time, having lost 6 straight, and need to get that turned around.

I am going to get there early just so I can yell at him. He dunked on me my freshman year :lol:
:lol:

I grew up playing with his older brother so it's cool to see his younger brother succeed and Josh's shot won my high school a state title a few years back

I love the upside of this team. For the first time I can remember, we can put 5 reserves on the court and still look like a D1 team.

Biggest issue I'm seeing right now on defense is guarding the perimeter. We're giving way too many open looks from 3pt range and it's biting us in the ass. We have to make teams beat us in the mid-range.

Quick notes:

Jam Scott and Wes Gordon continue to impress. This frontcourt is good.

XJ and Mayor started to find their games today.

Dustin Thomas will be a big-time scorer for us over his career here.

J-Hop is one of the best athletes we've seen in a CU uniform.

Fletch is going to be a really good player for us. He can score in a variety of ways.

King is going to be the glue guy in this group of freshmen. Offense will develop, but it's going to be his defense and hustle where he make his mark.

Ski is finding his role and needs to understand that the team doesn't need him taking 15+ shots a night. He had a really nice play where he passed up a 3, took it to the hole, and had a beautiful dish to a big for an easy deuce. I can't get enough of that from him.

On to Wyoming on Wednesday. As we know, that game's all about defensively closing out on their jump shooters and hitting our 3s to break down their zone. This is something we've struggled badly with the past 2 years as they've taken us apart. Rivalry game. We're 35-42 against the Cowboys all-time, having lost 6 straight, and need to get that turned around.
J-Hop is crazy athletic. Once this team gets the live action chemistry down (was one of our bigger issues tonight turning into turnovers IMO), when we get out and run it's going to be a alley hoop fest.

:lol:

I grew up playing with his older brother so it's cool to see his younger brother succeed and Josh's shot won my high school a state title a few years back
He is crazy athletic. He has been dunking I swear since 7th grade in Gold Crown. You went to Chap then huh.

Couldn't agree more. The best thing for this team is the Mayor looking to get everyone involved. He has the scoring options around him now. Ski needs to start doing the same. Both players can drive the paint and dish it off in traffic for an easy layup, and can draw a foul as well.

Anybody else feel a little uncomfortable when we put the five white guys out there against a team that didn't have one single white player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else feel a little uncomfortable when we put the five white guys out there against a team that didn't have one single white player?

Don't be ridiculous.

We were up 15 points with a couple minutes left when the walk-ons got it.

Couldn't agree more. The best thing for this team is the Mayor looking to get everyone involved. He has the scoring options around him now. Ski needs to start doing the same. Both players can drive the paint and dish it off in traffic for an easy layup, and can draw a foul as well.

Lots of ways to keep defenders guessing. And, while I won't say size doesn't have an off night, it has a lot fewer of them than outside shooting does...

It's early in the season, so forgive me for being a bit rusty on the protocol. But what is the proper racial lineup composition in that situation?

The crowd was a little disappointing, but not unexpected.

It seemed like it took us a while to figure out what we wanted to do. Ski is still too wild. He takes shots he'd be we'll advised to pass up. I never got the idea that we were in trouble, though. The refs are really calling it tight this year. That will be a benefit for teams with a good front court that can hit their FTs.

The crowd was a little disappointing, but not unexpected.

It seemed like it took us a while to figure out what we wanted to do. Ski is still too wild. He takes shots he'd be we'll advised to pass up. I never got the idea that we were in trouble, though. The refs are really calling it tight this year. That will be a benefit for teams with a good front court that can hit their FTs.
Sundays for whatever reason never are a great crowds. I think this is a combination of the broncos and other things to do during a weekend for students. I remember last years Cal game. There was not a Broncos game, but it was a beautiful day outside and the students did not show up. I expect a good crowd for the wyoming game.

Don't be ridiculous.

We were up 15 points with a couple minutes left when the walk-ons got it.
Yeah I totally understand that. I think I might be misunderstood, but I'm willing to eat my shoe on this one. Was not meaning to be negative or dogmatic.

Lots of ways to keep defenders guessing. And, while I won't say size doesn't have an off night, it has a lot fewer of them than outside shooting does...

It's early in the season, so forgive me for being a bit rusty on the protocol. But what is the proper racial lineup composition in that situation?
Again, I realize my comment may have come off the wrong way. I apologize.

The Bad Things: The crowd. Sure, the Broncos were playing, but only 50% of season ticket holders showed up?

18 turnovers, including four by Booker.

I understand doubling the post, but we are making it too easy for the opponent to get the ball back outside for an uncontested three. UT-M hit 12 threes. It was either a swish or an airball. Talton gave up a four point play on a play just like I described. We did this a lot last year as well.

The Good Things: Wes Gordon is a beast. 6-7 from the floor and eight boards. I thought he had at least four blocks, but ESPN says he only had two. He did spoil what could have been a SportsCenter top 10 play on an alley-oop from Spencer to XJ. Gordon thought the oop was for him and XJ landed on his shoulders.

The starting five contributed 29 boards, including six for Spencer. Dre might have had 15 by himself if he were playing, but the boarding by committee just might work.

82% free throw shooting.

No emcee!! No highly over-dramatized grovelling for pizza or McDonald's.

The people that were there were loud. GA was pretty full.

Last edited:
Back