What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett on cu/csu

Barnett had to go because of the scandal, though I'm in the camp that the whole thing was bull****. Prior to that he was solid, CU won the North more years than not and a B12 championship.

How many coaches have won the championship at two different BCS conferences? I'm guessing not many. The schools he did it at make the feat more impressive. If we could get him back scandal-free, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Perhaps. The last few years of Barnett were not exactly rosy either, and were only going to get worse with his recruiting.

If I could have neither, I would choose that option.

Pre-scandal Barnett was much better than Hawk. Barnett was crippled in recruiting, which took his legs out from under him. And Hawk has always been a good recruiter.

Barnett was a far superior coach, though. How he won 7 games in 2005, I'll never know. Talk about bailing wire and duct tape.

Barnett had to go because of the scandal, though I'm in the camp that the whole thing was bull****. Prior to that he was solid, CU won the North more years than not and a B12 championship.

How many coaches have won the championship at two different BCS conferences? I'm guessing not many. The schools he did it at make the feat more impressive. If we could get him back scandal-free, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Amen to that. The 'scandal' was beyond horsesh*t, it was a witchhunt designed to destroy the football program. Misery accomplished.

STFU about how great GB was!!!!! You're making me sick. That ****er is a huge reason why we havent had any success in years. How many OL were on the team when he left? How did his QBs pan out? All of you whining about Hawk's lack of emotion forget about GB on the sidelines of the UT games as our boys were getting ass pounded on national TV? STFU Barney, unless someone asks you about your golf game, and your sweet ****ing buyout.

I will defend Barnett. The reason that CU got in the hole was the CU administration put ridiculous constraints on the program and left Barnett and the FB program twirling in wind. But before all that BS Barnett was a solid recruiter and a solid coach. He was also donating $150,000 a year to CU out of his salary...the guy has handled himself with class since he has left CU and has not ripped the program (unlike Neuheisel). I have heard Barnett referring to CU in the first person (us, we, etc) on the radio and tv - the guy still has a great affection for the program.

Pre-scandal Barnett was much better than Hawk. Barnett was crippled in recruiting, which took his legs out from under him. And Hawk has always been a good recruiter.

Barnett was a far superior coach, though. How he won 7 games in 2005, I'll never know. Talk about bailing wire and duct tape.

I guess I don't quite buy into that. Hawkins has had one good class out of 4. Don't blame him for the first one but other than the 2008 class his recruiting has been less than stellar. It starts looking a little worst when you look at some the guys who left or did not get in or are never eligible.

People claim he is building depth but I don't see it when you undersign all the time - 72 scholarship players means that you have a dozen places on the roster that are not getting reps.

I will defend Barnett. The reason that CU got in the hole was the CU administration put ridiculous constraints on the program and left Barnett and the FB program twirling in wind. But before all that BS Barnett was a solid recruiter and a solid coach. He was also donating $150,000 a year to CU out of his salary...the guy has handled himself with class since he has left CU and has not ripped the program (unlike Neuheisel). I have heard Barnett referring to CU in the first person (us, we, etc) on the radio and tv - the guy still has a great affection for the program.

:thumbsup:

Perhaps, but Barnett fanned the flames with the way he handled the scandal.

You are right on that...the Knida comment, I knew as soon as I heard it that it was going to be a killer. If he had never made that comment things would of been a 100 times better.

I guess I don't quite buy into that. Hawkins has had one good class out of 4. Don't blame him for the first one but other than the 2008 class his recruiting has been less than stellar. It starts looking a little worst when you look at some the guys who left or did not get in or are never eligible.

People claim he is building depth but I don't see it when you undersign all the time - 72 scholarship players means that you have a dozen places on the roster that are not getting reps.

Agreed on the undersigning and I wish Hawk would stop that ASAP. But I do think he gets more talented guys here. Especially the in-state guys (Miller, Major, Harris, etc)

You are welcome to defend GB the person. I like him. But, as a coach GB was lacking in a lot of key areas. His attitude when the scandal broke did a lot to fan the smoke. With the exception of Hankwitz, I think his assistants sucked, and his recruiting never struck me as solid. It wasnt always terrible, but solid isnt the word I would use.

You are welcome to defend GB the person. I like him. But, as a coach GB was lacking in a lot of key areas. His attitude when the scandal broke did a lot to fan the smoke. With the exception of Hankwitz, I think his assistants sucked, and his recruiting never struck me as solid. It wasnt always terrible, but solid isnt the word I would use.
I'm sure you would add Brian Cabral to Mike Hankwitz as well, FB.

Barnett's 2000, 2002, and 2003 recruiting classes were all top 25 classes. I would call that solid recruiting before the scandal.

Most would consider Bienemy a solid hire as well.
Agree. Would love to see Embo and EB back in higher coaching positions at CU sometime, if you know what I mean. The only problem with that is that if we ever played with the lack of effort and emotion shown on Sunday, EB might actually murder someone on the sideline. I'd take that case though. Would be justifiable homicide.

Exactly. When his tenure came to an end I was ready to see him go. There was just no way he was getting a second chance after 70-3. However, I believe we would never have even been in that sorry position if it wasn't for the faux scandal. It undermined everything he did. Was he a perfect coach? Of course not but he did what he could and then he ran out of time/chances. It is what it is but he's still part of the Buffs family. The man wears a national championship ring and a Big XII title ring from his time here. How could we turn our backs on a guy like that?

Barnett's 2000, 2002, and 2003 recruiting classes were all top 25 classes. I would call that solid recruiting before the scandal.

Recruiting addresses needs and does so in order to produce continuity in each position. We havent had a great QB since Detmer. Our recieving corp hasnt been much better than now, and right now we are up **** creek. We dont need to rely on the recruiting rankings we can see how the recruits panned out.

Recruiting addresses needs and does so in order to produce continuity in each position. We havent had a great QB since Detmer. Our recieving corp hasnt been much better than now, and right now we are up **** creek. We dont need to rely on the recruiting rankings we can see how the recruits panned out.

Och's wasn't great, but he was good enough to help us win.

I always thought Jeremy Weisinger would have been great. Too bad the spread wasn't around back then. He ran a 4.2 40. Great kid. Loved Chris Le Doux almost as much as I do. Was never quit sure how Neuheisel got that kid to come to Boulder. I only had a year or two with Rick but you have to say, the guy could recruit his butt off. Just had difficulties establishing credibility with all of us old Mac guys. I imagine he is a lot better at 50 than he was at 35 though. I expect with Norm Chow there with Rick, UCLA will probably be alright in a few years.

Sorry for the threadjack. My mind starts wandering after 4:00 AK time.

I have always respected Barnett and though he was a good, not great, but good college football coach. His teams were solidly competitive right up until the bogus media event (looking at the events the scandal was how it was handled by the Boulder DA's office with an out of control assistant DA digging for political capital and a sensation seeking media dogpiling on without any real facts to go on.)

Gary's problem was not that he was a bad football coach but that he was not prepared for the battle in the media and in the arena of public opinion, he was a football coach not a public relations manager. Making things worse was a large part of the then university administration letting him dangle in the wind without having the courage to stand up for their employee, their students, and their university despite the fact that the only "evidence" was based on questionable statements by a couple of young women convinced by their lawyers that they could get rich and a bunch of pure speculation.

Unfortunately once the events did happen Barnett was finished in Boulder. The restrictions placed on the program including recruiting, the clear fact that he was going to get no help from the admissions office, and the willingness of the administration to allow continued damage to the program despite clearly contrary evidence made it obvious that he could not continue in a manner that would result in a winning program. I do not know him personally but I am convinced that after this happened he lost the will to fight for excellence. He recruited at least two classes filled with leftovers and marginal prospects (a few of whom did turn out to be quality players but way to few) leaving the cupboard bare for whoever was going to follow him. I think he is a man of integrity and a good coach but his fate at CU was sealed by events beyond his control and their is no way he can ever come back.

All that said I think he has been very classy in his remarks about CU although I think like most guys who see themselves as coaches he tends to protect his own, making excuses for coaching decisions that are not excusable.

70-3 was really, really bad, but - and let's be honest here - how do you guys think this year's version of the Buffs would do against the 2005 Texas Longhorns?

I do not think the score would be significantly different. I would not be shocked to see it be worse.

That was one of the very best cfb teams ever.

I always thought Jeremy Weisinger would have been great. Too bad the spread wasn't around back then. He ran a 4.2 40. Great kid. Loved Chris Le Doux almost as much as I do. Was never quit sure how Neuheisel got that kid to come to Boulder. I only had a year or two with Rick but you have to say, the guy could recruit his butt off. Just had difficulties establishing credibility with all of us old Mac guys. I imagine he is a lot better at 50 than he was at 35 though. I expect with Norm Chow there with Rick, UCLA will probably be alright in a few years.

Sorry for the threadjack. My mind starts wandering after 4:00 AK time.

Weisinger was originally a Mac commit. He decommitted when Mac resigned and then re-committed when Neu was named HC. Jeremy was a Buff fan at a young age, he wore #3 as an 8th grade qb because it was Hagan's #. It was not hard to get him to commit.

Weisinger was originally a Mac commit. He decommitted when Mac resigned and then re-committed when Neu was named HC. Jeremy was a Buff fan at a young age, he wore #3 as an 8th grade qb because it was Hagan's #. It was not hard to get him to commit.

I can't recall, did he ever take a snap for us? I remember being high on him. Unless I'm way off the mark I think he was the number one QB prospect in the country the year we recruited him. Too bad he ended up at aTm.

I am amazed sometimes by this board. How many of you bitched and complained about our Offense with Watson and Barnett for not firing him? How about the D under Okruch?

Outside of the 1 really good year in 2001, most of the time we constantly complain about how we played down to our competition.

Barnett beat the teams he was suppose to? CSU beat us 3 times under Barnett. How about Fresno State? Anyone recall the Baylor game?

Lets not start acting like Barnett was some great game day coach. Outside of the 1 really good year, Barnett was not exactly setting the world on fire. He benefited from a very weak North division during his time here.

Not taking away anything he did for CU, and I have no ill will towards the guy. I appreciate what he did for our program, and outside of how he handled things during the witch hunt, I would have no problems with him still being at CU. But let's not pretend like he was better than he was.

Och's wasn't great, but he was good enough to help us win.

yeah and many of the same people who are complaining about Hawkins not retaining talent had the same complaints about Barnett the way he handled guys like Ochs and the RB who shall remain nameless.

yeah and many of the same people who are complaining about Hawkins not retaining talent had the same complaints about Barnett the way he handled guys like Ochs and the RB who shall remain nameless.
Agreed. Barnett was never going to get us back to where we belong, and I have serious doubts about Danny...but, I am praying he proves us wrong. Start with a spanking of Toledo tomorrow, including 100 yds rushing from Scott, 2 TD receptions from Dre, and 300 yds passing from Cody.

Back