What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett on cu/csu

As was stated earlier how would the 2009 Buffs do against the 2005 Longhorns? :lol:

Even if they fared better (doubtful), I would take a 70-3 beating but making the big 12 championship over a 2-10 season, over back to back spankings by Mizzou including one at home, losing to Baylor at home, losing to Montana State and CSU at home, and only 2 road wins.

"She was awful. Katie was not only a girl, she was terrible, OK? There's no other way to say it."

Home run, It's division 1 football!!!! It's not my first rodeo.

BARNETT WAS A PR disaster and had his bad losses no doubt about it. But barnett somehow managed winning seasons, something zen master hasn't grasped yet.

"She was awful. Katie was not only a girl, she was terrible, OK? There's no other way to say it."

Sounds about right.

I have an extremely difficult time believing a Dan Hawkins coached team would be able to stay within 67 points of Vince Young's 2005 texas team.

Montana state

58-0
55-10
2-10
13-25

Your making a good point against GB. How do you think Barney would do with the talent he left with? He got us here, and wasnt doing **** to turn it around. You ****ers act like Hawkins was handed the keys to a top ten team.

Your making a good point against GB. How do you think Barney would do with the talent he left with? He got us here, and wasnt doing **** to turn it around. You ****ers act like Hawkins was handed the keys to a top ten team.

Hawkins has had four recruiting classes here, one of which was top 25, despite the popular perception that he has been some kind of spectacular recruiter (here's a hint: the 5th one will be the worst one yet).

If he hasn't gotten enough players in here with four recruiting classes - virtually the entire team at this point - then that is his own damn fault.

BTW - there is no way in hell that GB would have lost to Montana State.

Go check out the perception of CU football around the country. Most people call our loss to CSU the second most disappointing loss of opening week, only after Oregon because there was more attention surrounding their game (at least they lost to a team that is actually good).

Most people would call us the worst team in the big 12. Our offense was the worst in the big 12 last year. We had, statistically, by far the worst QB play in the big 12 last year.

We have not managed to recruit what appears to be ANY legitimate talent at QB. This is why we have a true freshmen walkon - which is seriously laughable and I am surprised it hasn't gotten more play - as our #2 backup. Find another program in the country with QB in as sad shape as this. Walkon true freshmen as #2? Seriously?

Our DL, despite being in year four, is starting a bunch of guys who have virtually no experience because, guess what, no one bothered to recruit any DL for 3 years.

WR trotted out perhaps the least talented starting lineup at any BCS school in the history of the BCS on opening day. Why? Again, no talent. Oh, except for the JUCO guy who only got one ball thrown his way, caught it for 44 yards, and then was benched. And the one guy we keep hearing about who was suspended by the coach for the first 2 games for some unknown reason, despite our desperate situation at WR.

I never have thought much of Dan Hawkins but I at least expected the team to be competitive this year.

I am having a really difficult time imagining a winning season unless drastic changes are made. This guy simply does not know what he is doing.

Last edited:
BTW - there is no way in hell that GB would have lost to Montana State.

Go check out the perception of CU football around the country. Most people call our loss to CSU the second most disappointing loss of opening week, only after Oregon because there was more attention surrounding their game (at least they lost to a team that is actually good).

Most people would call us the worst team in the big 12. Our offense was the worst in the big 12 last year. We had, statistically, by far the worst QB play in the big 12 last year.

We have not managed to recruit what appears to be ANY legitimate talent at QB. This is why we have a true freshmen walkon - which is seriously laughable and I am surprised it hasn't gotten more play - as our #2 backup. Find another program in the country with QB in as sad shape as this. Walkon true freshmen as #2? Seriously?

Our DL, despite being in year four, is starting a bunch of guys who have virtually no experience because, guess what, no one bothered to recruit any DL for 3 years.

WR trotted out perhaps the least talented starting lineup at any BCS school in the history of the BCS on opening day. Why? Again, no talent. Oh, except for the JUCO guy who only got one ball thrown his way, caught it for 44 yards, and then was benched. And the one guy we keep hearing about who was suspended by the coach for the first 2 games for some unknown reason, despite our desperate situation at WR.

I never have thought much of Dan Hawkins but I at least expected the team to be competitive this year.

I am having a really difficult time imagining a winning season unless drastic changes are made. This guy simply does not know what he is doing.

When you are done bobbing on GBs knob take a look at what you posted. You are describing a GB team right down to the walk-on QB that was back up and eventual starter. I dont want to have to stick up for Hawkins, but this GB revisionist history is Bullschit.

I don't think Barney or Hack are good coaches. Hawk was not handed keys to a top 10 program, but he has had 4 years to turn things around and it seems to be regressing more than improving.

Really? Barnett won the Big12N 4 out of 5 years. One of the years he was nearly in the national championship.

Hawkins has yet to have a winning season and doesn't look to be headed that way this year.

What is the point of arguing Barnett v. Hawkins? Those praising Barnett evidently accept mediocrity. Hawkins, to this point, has been a disappointment. Barnett won more games, but he was just 4 years removed from the McCartney era. Hawk was 11 years removed from the McCartney era. Maybe Hawk could have been mediocre too if he inherited the same program that Barnett did.

I think you are all delusional to think that the recruiting non-scandal was Barnett's demise. The program has been on a steady decline ever since coach Mac retired.

Go back and look at Barnett's record against decent teams. Even with 2001, I felt like that team was not that good. We lose to Fresno State. We then win a few games that we should win (none in impressive fashion). We then get absolutely thumped in Texas. We end the season with two wins that no one thought we would win. And then we get humiliated by Oregon after we almost backed our way into the MNC game.

How many of Barnett's players were drafted?

For me, the 2002 USC game in Boulder was the point where I began to believe that we were no longer near the realm of a great football program. 2002, folks.

Really? Barnett won the Big12N 4 out of 5 years. One of the years he was nearly in the national championship.

Hawkins has yet to have a winning season and doesn't look to be headed that way this year.

2 of those Big 12 championship games we backed into with Iowa State choking away their invitation in the last game. Also, the north from 2001-2006 was about as competitive as the WAC.

The Big 12 championship was nice, and 2002 was not a bad season as well, but lets not forget Barnett's coaching in big games.

Smoke and mirrors. Winning the B12N during that time was about as prestigious as winning the alpaca judging at the Mesa County Fair. The team you are talking about being in the NC was very one dimensional, as we showed in the bowl game. It would have been a good team to build off of, but they werent ready for an MNC. GB was a decent coach, but he wasnt close to an elite coach.

For me, the 2002 USC game in Boulder was the point where I began to believe that we were no longer near the realm of a great football program. 2002, folks.

I agree.

And the thing that I also find hard to stomach is that other Big 12 teams that have been doormats for years have put it together and are playing some good ball.

Kansas, Missouri even stinking Baylor have lapped us. Who would have thunk it??

I can't recall, did he ever take a snap for us? I remember being high on him. Unless I'm way off the mark I think he was the number one QB prospect in the country the year we recruited him. Too bad he ended up at aTm.

He wasn't quite that good. he was the #3 ranked qb in Texas at the time, but that's good enough to go where you want. He never played any meaningful minutes, and transferred when he was beat out by Moschetti. Jeremy broke his leg while powerlifting in the offseason and never got his speed back. imo, that's why he never lived up to his billing.

Smoke and mirrors. Winning the B12N during that time was about as prestigious as winning the alpaca judging at the Mesa County Fair. The team you are talking about being in the NC was very one dimensional, as we showed in the bowl game. It would have been a good team to build off of, but they werent ready for an MNC. GB was a decent coach, but he wasnt close to an elite coach.

Do you think the competition in the B12 is any greater now than it was then? I don't.

Do you think the competition in the B12 is any greater now than it was then? I don't.

Umm ya I do! There are 6 Big 12 teams in the top 25 right now, 2 in the top 5, 3 north teams in top 25, Baylor and Tech are close to being top 25 teams as well. 3 different big 12 teams have been to a bcs bowl the last two years. The Big 12 is a close close second to the SEC. A LOT better than it was 5 years ago, A LOT!

Umm ya I do! There are 6 Big 12 teams in the top 25 right now, 2 in the top 5, 3 north teams in top 25, Baylor and Tech are close to being top 25 teams as well. 3 different big 12 teams have been to a bcs bowl the last two years. The Big 12 is a close close second to the SEC. A LOT better than it was 5 years ago, A LOT!

I meant to say B12 North. The south is obviously deeper.

The north is a lot better too. When Barney was coaching Kansas and Mizzou were irrelevant in the north. Also, Nebraska was not what they are today.

I just ran through cubuffs.com. When we played them in 01, KSU was ranked 12th, atm was 25th, UT was 3rd, NU was 2nd, and I'm confident OU was in the top 10 (we just didn't play them so they aren't listed) so based on rankings, the B12 was as strong a conference then as now.

The other years specifically looking at the North, in 02 KSU was 13th. In 03, NU was 25th and MU was 22nd. 04 and 05 nobody in the North was ranked.

I would argue that KU simply benefitted from an extremely weak schedule the past two years and that GBs team would have given them a good game. The difference is probably MU, they have been a legitimate threat the past couple of years in the North.

Here's how I see things: Barnett was a fundamentally sound coach - nothing special, but not bad. He had a miracle season at Northwestern and another at CU (2001), outside of that; we were middle of the pack - which, at today's point in the program, would be a big upgrade. Barnett did not lose his job because of one thing - there were numerous:

a) His frightful PR handling of the scandal
b) CU's admin throwing him under the bus (or at least not standing up for him)
c) His Khinda (sp?) comments
d) 30-3 at home against arch rival Nebraska on national tv (which resulted in getting the entire student section...including me...ejected)
e) 70-3...on national tv

Plus, with the negative media witch hunt and the limitations placed on recruiting, the talent cupboard was bare to say the least. Barnett had to go - even if it was Urban Meyer, any coach in that situation HAD to go, the only way for the program to rebuild was with another coach.

Bohn had his orders laid out pretty clear by the administration: CLEAN UP THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM...winning was clearly not the top priority.

And he did. Hawkins was the right guy to come in and build the program back up. He's changed attitudes, helped fundraising, improved facilities and even was positive and quotable in the media (until this year). His "It's division 1 football...go play intramurals brotha" was great PR for the program nationally. At the time, we had no idea Talkins was not a good game-day coach/play caller.

HOWEVER - it has become clear that while he can build a program, he cannot produce on game day:
a) Look at the recruiting deficiencies at QB and WR and D-Line...these are vital positions that were either not recruited or filled with players who transferred or didn't qualify...still falls under bad recruiting to me.
b) losing patience with the media, no longer a PR benefit to the team
c) No ability to motivate players (look to the CSU game for evidence)
d) No ability to call plays
e) no ability to manage the clock
f) not putting his best players in, if anything to show his fanbase why he doesn't play them
g) no actual improvement, no trend toward improvement…13-25 is getting pretty close to the end.

So, with that in mind, this is simple...when Hawkins was hired, most if not all quality game-day coaches wouldn’t have touched this program with a 10 ft pole, but now that it’s been cleaned up and the talent has improved, we should be able to get a solid coach to step in and win pretty quickly – since the foundation has been laid, I think we just need a coach who can motivate, coach and CALL PLAYS!

I think there are plenty of coaches come the end of the year that could be solid candidates…but my hope is that we’ll be bowling this year and not have to worry about it.

PS, I just read that we lost Zack Craig to Okie State. Fallout from an embarrassing loss at home to CSU perhaps?? (I know he listed family as a reason, but let’s be honest, he was embarrassed we lost to a MWC program while Okie State beat a strong SEC program)

I agree.

And the thing that I also find hard to stomach is that other Big 12 teams that have been doormats for years have put it together and are playing some good ball.

Kansas, Missouri even stinking Baylor have lapped us. Who would have thunk it??

Perception has us at the bottom of the B12 now.

Back