What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett to replace Larry Zimmer on KOA in 2016.

I don't mind Mark Johnson as much as a lot of you do. He hasn't had much to work with since he got here.

GB will bring some great insight to the color commentary, IMO. This is a terrific move. And it's one more example of how things are starting to get back to normal around here again.

I like Mark Johnson OK but he is a bit of a "goober." His attempts at humor in the CU kickoff thing that nik posted was painful. And, yeah, I get perturbed from time to time when he fails to inform us on down and distance often enough. But, for the most part, he does a good job and I like his enthusiasm.

So stoked to hear this today. He made a joke about having advice for HCMM now that he's in the booth.....the first to give him a big hug.... HCMM. RTD ok with me.

Barnett was a very good coach. Throwing 60+ in the Beat down of Nebraska, enough said!

However, it is his mouth in front of a mic that created his downward spiral, so this is an interesting hire to say the least. He has also been very monotone on the highlight packages he has done the past few years. Interesting choice for sure. I would rather see him back on the sideline in some fashion (i.e. LB Coach)

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Zim, and I hope the Buffs will salute him during a halftime presentation. As for GB, I'm sure he'll do a good job, but I'm going to take a wait & see approach.

Barnett was a very good coach. Throwing 60+ in the Beat down of Nebraska, enough said!

However, it is his mouth in front of a mic that created his downward spiral, so this is an interesting hire to say the least. He has also been very monotone on the highlight packages he has done the past few years. Interesting choice for sure. I would rather see him back on the sideline in some fashion (i.e. LB Coach)

I'm satisfied with our current LBs coach.

Really???? Have you ever listened to Johnson? His ability to bypass the most basic details of radio play by ply is astounding. Also, his pretending to be a CU football historian is contrived at best and painful on all fronts...
To each their own, I guess. I just don't understand why people get so worked up about radio and tv personalities. He's no Zimmer, but I think he does a good job. He can go overboard at times, but doesn't bother me.

GB is an interesting hire. Didn't know he had enough radio experience to land that job...pretty obvious it's his CU and football cred that got him hired. He doesn't know as much about the program as Zim, but who the **** does? Maybe Plati but who wants to listen to that guy for 3-4 hours?

I don't have a problem with MJ, but I don't listen to KOA...usually watch the games. He has a great voice and does well on TV interviews IMO.

Apparently he's been an analyst for college football radio broadcasts for a decade. He can learn all he needs to know about the program in a couple of weeks, I would think.

Interested to hear his on air personality. He often seemed very dour as a coach.

GB is an interesting hire. Didn't know he had enough radio experience to land that job...pretty obvious it's his CU and football cred that got him hired. He doesn't know as much about the program as Zim, but who the **** does? Maybe Plati but who wants to listen to that guy for 3-4 hours?

I don't have a problem with MJ, but I don't listen to KOA...usually watch the games. He has a great voice and does well on TV interviews IMO.
He's been a color guy on CBS Sports Radio for 10 years. It's not obvious that CU and football cred got it, but rather all of the above.

I was watching the local morons on Channel 7 yesterday at 5 and they had a "story" on GB doing the radio. The high-pitched anchorman, made it seem outrageous that he was coming back. "CU is bringing back the man they paid $3M to go away amid the SEX SCANDAL in 2005!!!" Then they interviewed some greasy looking "student" who went into some phony tirade. Last time I'll watch 7 news.

I was watching the local morons on Channel 7 yesterday at 5 and they had a "story" on GB doing the radio. The high-pitched anchorman, made it seem outrageous that he was coming back. "CU is bringing back the man they paid $3M to go away amid the SEX SCANDAL in 2005!!!" Then they interviewed some greasy looking "student" who went into some phony tirade. Last time I'll watch 7 news.
Why you watching the Wes Mantooth team in the first place?

I'm excited about this news too. Well done athletic department, Barnett deserves the respect.

It's something CU and GB will probably have to respond to.

i agree with CUFan. how much does it have to suck to be "the voice of the buffs" during mark johnson's tenure. I think he's done an awesome job with what he had to work with in the fall, and his basketball commentary is first rate.

Am I the only one that finds this amusing? Think he asks "ya, want chips with that?"

"Are there really not that many people qualified to talk on the radio that they got to talk to this dude," said Patrick Clark, a Pearl Street Mall hot dog vendor, CU graduate and Buffs fan. "Are all the people that were in the sports administration from the year when good ol' Gary left the last time, gone now?"

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...replace-larry-zimmer-in-radio-broadcast-booth

Barnett has been doing football analyst on the radio for the past decade - he does about 15 to 18 games a year....I would think that is enough experience.

Barney either knew that his staff was providing hookers to recruits or he was incompetant and didn't know what the hell was going on. That set the stage for the Hnida foot-in-mouth BS, his suspension, recruiting restrictions, and Mary Keenan going for the throat with the whole non-rape scandal. In my mind he was one of the pillars of destruction of CU football. I get he was OK as a big time coach but by 2004-2005 he didn't give a **** and off wandering through the desert CU went. I think it is an odd hire for a program trying to get back to relevance.

I also think Mark Johnson is a great play by play guy if you don't mind not knowing the score, time left, down & distance. Of course Mark let's you know when we're playing WSU with his " Wazzu" calls.

Back