What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett

Yeah, I think GB was definitely taking the high road. And, yeah, just about any coach is going to defend another coach.

The really interesting stuff was him kind of defending his regime and implying that they should not have been let go when they were. Iteresting stuff. I also admit, I have always liked GB. But I think his recruiting was really slipping. He probably had no choice but to publicly buy in to all the restrictions Bitsy forced on the program.
GB couldn't have come back, his team turned on him.

A lot of that makes sense to me.

I certainly felt the program had gotten past the scandal. I did find the termination of GB a little odd since it was a year after blood was in the water and justified only by losing to Texas. :huh: All of us, blindly, were happy to see him go. Our program certainly has been set back by the change at HC. :cry:

Are you insane?

Are you insane?

No I am not.

I believe I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that we'd be crying about 4 losses under GB this year instead of 8, 9 or 10 under DH. GB got a lot of mileage out the talent he had. He was a much better game day coach and a much better practice and fundamentals coach. Hankwitz was a huge upgrade. I doubt Watson would have survived too much longer. The cracks are already appearing at NU about his ability. Don't forget it took Mac a while to get the staff he needed to win it all.

if hawky come's back for year 5 ....wonder how many fan's become football slut's and become's ucla fan's?

:wow:

I root for my alma mater & will never sell my soul because of a coach. Root for Slick Rick, are you kidding me???? Just because of Kai & Josh Smith (& maybe D Scott)? Sorry - no way in hell.

I'm thinking you are somewhat kidding but I don't find it funny.

I guess you had to be there (listening to the interview). What I don't get is GB saying he struggled with the differences or different culture at CU - he was, after all, an assistant coach in Boulder before he trekked north. Not against GB, I liked him as a coach, but his time was up.

Good lord there is some revisionist history going on with regard to GB here. I'm certainly no GB hater but come on people, it was time for him to go.

I think some that are pining for the GB days because of what a colossal failure Hawkins has been. Let's not forget what an average team we were 03-05.

This sudden media fascination with Gary Barnett is certainly interesting. Most of these people interviewing him now are the same people who were advocating his firing a few years ago.
No, GB has been on 1510 every Thursday morning for the entire season. He is one of their college football experts discussing college football in general.

I never hopped the 'Fire Barnett' bandwagon, either. 4 North titles in 9 years, and he gets fired? You cannot be serious. It was obvious that his firing was mostly politically motivated, and came from the same faction that nudged Mac into retirement, and handpicked Ricky Slickpants. Another year or two, and the whole thing would have blown over. Never would have been a 'thing' in the first place if it weren't for members of the local media and the feminazis going on a witch hunt.

I pretty much called exactly what was going to happen next. I knew they'd go out and get some hippy-dippy douche like Ricky Slickpants (who they still ****ing idolize). The media and admin would gush over him, and his teams would flop around like landed salmon. If you want to win, you hire a football coach. Not a ****ing Yogi.

What killed me was how many 'fans' grabbed hammers and helped pound a stake into the heart of the program. I think maybe most were in denial about how much going to the Big XII tipped the balance of power in the conference. Can't think of any other excuse for buying into that crap. Gary Barnett is a good man, and a ****ing genius of a football coach. Maybe after 4 years of Juicebox, a few more people appreciate the job he did. They should also appreciate that after what he did at Northwestern, he could have had literally any ****ing job in the country, and he chose to come back home and be a Buff.

That being said, he's being too PC on Hawkins. Firing a coach who's won a Big XII title at Colorado is a mistake. Firing a coach who's 16-31 is the merciful thing to do (for us and for Dan). Time to put Old Yeller down.

That has nothing to do with what GB meant. He was talking, I think, about the different culture going from one place to another. That what works at one school may not work at the next. He thought he could go to Northwestern and that what had worked at CU would work there, and it didn't. It took him a while to figure that out.

I agree but 4 years into his tenure at NU GB led Northwestern to the Big Ten Conference title. In 4 years we have gotten worse.

They should also appreciate that after what he did at Northwestern, he could have had literally any ****ing job in the country, and he chose to come back home and be a Buff.

while i'm with you on the sentiment, not exactly true. Barnett was two losing years removed from NW winning the Big Ten and CU offered the job to Kubiak, who took it on principle and then renegged. it's true GB could have had any job (ND and Texas were close)...but that was two years earlier.

barney was the #2 choice.

I never hopped the 'Fire Barnett' bandwagon, either. 4 North titles in 9 years, and he gets fired? You cannot be serious. It was obvious that his firing was mostly politically motivated, and came from the same faction that nudged Mac into retirement, and handpicked Ricky Slickpants. Another year or two, and the whole thing would have blown over. Never would have been a 'thing' in the first place if it weren't for members of the local media and the feminazis going on a witch hunt.

I pretty much called exactly what was going to happen next. I knew they'd go out and get some hippy-dippy douche like Ricky Slickpants (who they still ****ing idolize). The media and admin would gush over him, and his teams would flop around like landed salmon. If you want to win, you hire a football coach. Not a ****ing Yogi.

What killed me was how many 'fans' grabbed hammers and helped pound a stake into the heart of the program. I think maybe most were in denial about how much going to the Big XII tipped the balance of power in the conference. Can't think of any other excuse for buying into that crap. Gary Barnett is a good man, and a ****ing genius of a football coach. Maybe after 4 years of Juicebox, a few more people appreciate the job he did. They should also appreciate that after what he did at Northwestern, he could have had literally any ****ing job in the country, and he chose to come back home and be a Buff.

That being said, he's being too PC on Hawkins. Firing a coach who's won a Big XII title at Colorado is a mistake. Firing a coach who's 16-31 is the merciful thing to do (for us and for Dan). Time to put Old Yeller down.

If GB was so ****ing great, why is he still unemployed?

while i'm with you on the sentiment, not exactly true. Barnett was two losing years removed from NW winning the Big Ten and CU offered the job to Kubiak, who took it on principle and then renegged. it's true GB could have had any job (ND and Texas were close)...but that was two years earlier.

barney was the #2 choice.
Not a bad 2nd choice, with 4 North Titles and a BIG 12 Title. **** who was our 2nd choice 4 years ago? Maybe we should have when with that coach!

I have never seen another coach advocate for another coach to be fired....

What he says is all reasonable.... and has no bearing on this situation...

I think he was looking at the "big picture''' and he's probably right that it can take years to adjust to a new program, etc. That does sound reasonable.

The problem is....everyone is basically sick of Hawkins now, no matter if he could positively turn it around next season. Just sick of him, Hawkins the man/coach. He has worn out his welcome and he has burned bridges.

That's why I think a change, no matter how long it might take to be successful, is necessary.

For what it's worth, Barnett was here for 7 seasons, not 9 as stated above.

Also, Winning the North in 2004 and 2005 was kind of like winning the special Olympics. The North was terrible both years, very similar to this year.

Also, Winning the North in 2004 and 2005 was kind of like winning the special Olympics. The North was terrible both years, very similar to this year.

Yep but still better than losing the special olympics. :lol::sad1:

Well, uh, maybe it has to do with the stigma the media witch hunt put on him?

Slick has had multiple gigs as a college HC and NFL assistant. Plenty of other coaches (Mike Price anyone?) have had there "witch hunts" and still been employable. Maybe GB doesn't want to coach, I don't know but he's been out of the coaching world for 4 years now.

Slick has had multiple gigs as a college HC and NFL assistant. Plenty of other coaches (Mike Price anyone?) have had there "witch hunts" and still been employable. Maybe GB doesn't want to coach, I don't know but he's been out of the coaching world for 4 years now.

He's waiting for that Fort Lewis job to open up again.

Can you work on your reading comp. please - Barney wasnt talking about anything on the field when he discussed the difficulty of moving to CO and the mistakes he made when coming over from Northwestern. Nor is he refrencing the level of play in the big 12 or the OOC when he says he thinks dan made the same mistakes.

I think he was looking at the "big picture''' and he's probably right that it can take years to adjust to a new program, etc. That does sound reasonable.

The problem is....everyone is basically sick of Hawkins now, no matter if he could positively turn it around next season. Just sick of him, Hawkins the man/coach. He has worn out his welcome and he has burned bridges.

That's why I think a change, no matter how long it might take to be successful, is necessary.

Not getting it right moving from one school/culture to the next ultimately has everything to do with the product on the field.

Barnett thought he was past the scandal? That's pretty laughable. It was still coming up 2 or 3 years into Hawk's tenure.

Well, uh, maybe it has to do with the stigma the media witch hunt put on him?

If he was as great as some on here were portraying him, he would have a job. If Dennis Erickson and Bobby Knight can find jobs after thier scandals, why couldnt GB?

I am tired of the "scandal"... its still being brought up! We all know it happened and the consequences we have had to live through. But how long can you continue to blame the last guy for your failures and lack of winning. I guess the Obama admin. follows CU football!

Hawkins still doesn't get it. His personnel selections are still abysmal. Our running game sucks to the point that DS leaves because he won't even play him. Simmons STILL sits on the bench and watches Cody Hawkins go out to catch passes. It took him 7 games into year 3 to bench his woefully inadequate QB, who happens to be his son.

Mohler and Rippy and Major sit on the sidelines and watch our slow, unathletic LBs provide mediocre performances at best. Keenan Stevens still takes snaps over Mike Iltis and no one really knows why the hell Givens only plays in half our games.

Running off DS and Jfly and Maiava because he literally refused to give them adequate playing time when they were some of the best players on the team is unforgivable. Look how many players have left this team under Hawkins because he refused to play them despite horrible production at their positions.

Apparently every 4 or 5 star athlete we've ever recruited to CU under Hawkins is some kind of enormous bust, because not a single one of them is a bright spot on the team right now. Some of them aren't even here right now.

None of this BS is related to the Big 12. Going 6-10 OOC is not the Big 12. It isn't the culture. It's being a horrible coach, period.

Your comprehension of football is inadequate. I agree with nothing you say here. DS did not deserve more snaps, he couldn't find a hole if Cody showed it to him. Cody has not caught any balls, allow your mind to think that maybe they were using him and a potential double-pass as a distraction. Simmons has been in a lot of plays now and has caught like 1 pass. I know that he was highly recruited and almost got a 2nd offer but alas KSU pulled the offer - but perhaps he's a guy that looks like an athlete but isn't? I suggest you quit trying to justify your opinion with mindless facts and just keep using bigger font when you type "FIRE HAWKINS".

Honest, reflective, mostly accurate. He's right about that flukey loss at Iowa State ... there was actually a real cyclone warning at Cyclone Stadium. Tough to beat that.

One thing though ... to pretend he came here wide-eyed from Northwestern in silly. He was an assistant here before, for longer than a head man there.

Honest, reflective, mostly accurate. He's right about that flukey loss at Iowa State ... there was actually a real cyclone warning at Cyclone Stadium. Tough to beat that.

One thing though ... to pretend he came here wide-eyed from Northwestern in silly. He was an assistant here before, for longer than a head man there.
I thought he meant that he went from here to Northwestern "wide eyed." Not the other way around.

Damn. Where did those other 2 years go? :huh:

But seriously. Playing in the CCG every-other-year not good enough? Winning a division that includes kNU over half the time was unsatisfactory?

Yes the North is the short bus. it will still be the short bus 5-10-20 years from now. Barring something earth-shaking like Shanny Claus coming to Boulder. Or maybe if OU or UT (or both) got the death penalty. The combination of the OU comeback, and including UT in the Big XII pretty much cut the throat of the North teams. Even my dumb ass saw that one coming. :smile2:

GB makes some good points and there is some trial and error going from one program to the next. However, that should have ended 2 years ago, come on, its year 4 going on 5. Said it before, Ill say it again. Hawk has done a good job of cleaning up the image and fixing that part, so he gets a pass on year 1 and 2. Year 3 was the writing on the wall for me. We should have got better not worse. I think he has served his purpose and now its time to start winning. I know he's a good man and all that but that doesnt make him a good football coach. Another thing, if CU is so strapped for cash, it would make a hell of alot of sense to me to bring in a coach and players that can actually win some ****ing games. You have to spend money to make it and, the more you win, the more you will make. Coaching is a tough business where if you dont win you pack your bags. Hawk hasnt done that and he has had plenty of chances. CU administration C'Mon Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB is a pretty good coach, not a great recruiter. I think the loss of EB and Embree coupled with the scandal really hurt his ability to be a good coach. He needed to go and like someone said, Hawk was the right choice. Sometimes you make a choice that is a mistake, everyone does, but you fix it if you can. Hawk has two god **** wins on the road in 4 years. GB, privately, is probably laughing at what has happened since we got rid of him and went with Hawk.

Your comprehension of football is inadequate. I agree with nothing you say here. DS did not deserve more snaps, he couldn't find a hole if Cody showed it to him. Cody has not caught any balls, allow your mind to think that maybe they were using him and a potential double-pass as a distraction. Simmons has been in a lot of plays now and has caught like 1 pass. I know that he was highly recruited and almost got a 2nd offer but alas KSU pulled the offer - but perhaps he's a guy that looks like an athlete but isn't? I suggest you quit trying to justify your opinion with mindless facts and just keep using bigger font when you type "FIRE HAWKINS".

You're an idiot. Keep supporting Hawkins as a coach when it is apparent to the rest of the universe that he is flat-out terrible. It is painfully obvious that Cody was put in the game because Hawk Sr. just needed to play his son in some capacity - a pattern of behavior that has been established time and time and time again. The notion that he put him in as a decoy for a double pass is comical...

Not sure what you're comment regarding "Fire Hawkins" and "bigger font" pertains to, but certainly nothing in my posting history.

In short, go **** yourself.

Last edited:
Back