1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gehrke getting shot to win QB job

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren said Liufau has turned the ball over too much recently, and the staff also wants to get Gehrke some experience heading into the offseason. Those are the reasons they have decided to at least give him a handful of possessions at Oregon and at home against Utah on Nov. 29.

Lindgren said MacIntyre will ultimately make the decision regarding how much Gehrke plays.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_26916562/cu-football-backup-qb-jordan-gehrke-will-play

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Is this more a kick in Sefo's pants or truly an effort to give Gehrke a chance to be a starter? I suppose the easy answer is "both." But I suspect it's more the former than the latter. And it's probably a good message to send to the rest of the team.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Coaches want competition in the spring.

4. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Starting Gehrke at Autzen is not exactly doing him any favors.

5. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Where did you read he would start?

6. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I doubt anyone on staff feels Sefo needs a kick in the pants. Even suggesting the job is open often makes it tougher on the QB. Can be risky.

My guess is that Sefo is being pushed in practice and they really feel they need to see how Gehrke reacts in game situations, once his nerves calm. At some point you can't protect the starter and you got to just see. We are there.

7. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Could be coaches agreed to give him some live game experience in order to make him more attractive as a transfer this offseason. Pure speculation on my part, no inside info.

8. 90sBuff

90sBuff Club Member Club Member

Outside of the costly turnovers, Sefo has done a really good job leading the team. On one hand, he deserves the chance to really finish the season and correct the mistakes. But the turnovers are huge and may be nice to give Gehrke a chance to show what he has got.

What so you all think we will see? Will Gehrke be better and beat Utah? Or will Sefo take over against Utah and deliver the win?

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Gehrke is not very good.

10. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Sefo is smart enough to know that he hasn't been paying at the level we need him to to take the team to the next level. He will keep working hard to get better, but the team needs to explore other options, too. Gerhke looked like a deer in the headlights last week, so hopefully having the expectation that he is going to be put in will help him get in a better mindset.

11. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

It's also a no lose move. If Gehrke plays well, we got options and a competition. If he sucks, all are silenced.

12. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I see this as a no win move. Nothing really good can come of this.

13. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

if the dude is willing to get shot in order to win the job, he sounds pretty dedicated to me.

14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This may be a part of the timing.

Sefo needs a chance to sop and collect himself. If they are discussing concussion protocol it may not have been an option anyways but Sefo getting attacked by another fast defense and forced into more turnovers isn't going to help his development as a QB.

Gehrke isn't our future as a starting QB. Hopefully he is our future as a backup. I wonder if this isn't a way of letting him take one for the team and protect Sefo's confidence a bit.

15. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

When trying to recruit QBs, I would think it to be advantageous to show that a current sophomore starter does not have a stranglehold on the position.

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Handling this about as well as we can hope, iyam. Hope gehrke does ok, but hope sefo responds with a sparkling series of performances

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

I have a lot of faith in the offensive coaching, and trust them to know what they are doing. I don't really need a"why" besides turnovers and Sefo injuries. The gameplanning and adjustments throughout this season and last were effective considering our level of talent.

18. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Hawkins would not have been as willing to play another QB and Embree rotated his too liberally while trying to find one that would win a game. This is fine. Get the backup meaningful snaps in a lost season and let the QB on the roster who is the present and future of the program get some rest from the beating he has taken.

19. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

The 2012 QB play makes actually laugh.

20. DBT

Remember how pissed Sefo was after one of the earlier games in which he was pulled? He said something like "I'll never get pulled from a game again" or something.

21. Mr. Babar

Mr. Babar I have no elephant books Club Member

Which knife will CU use in the gun fight with Oregon? Let them both play, Sefo has had a ton of opportunity to produce W's and fell short (not all on him, but QB is a big boy role and therefore takes a good portion of the credit/criticism). Sometimes in life you don't get the results you want and breaks don't go your way. If he is the competitor, and has the character we all think he does, then he will respond well to this and seize the opportunity when he gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. DBT

I'm assuming Mac will pick and chose when to let Gehrke get his snaps. I'll bet it won't be all that often unless/until the game is out of hand. What fits Gehrke's sill set best? When that situation comes up, then that might be when he runs a play or two.

23. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

Gehrke might have the ability to run better than Sefo. Might be interesting to see the spread option work.

24. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

25. DBT

Yeah, I'd bet he gets a couple of snaps, maybe, until and if the game gets out of hand. If we are in the game, I doubt he will get in unless it is for some sort of play strictly designed for him.

26. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Leads to me to believe that not only are they unhappy with the turnovers, but they are worried about the health of the QB. Sefo has taken some major shots recently and the concussion sounded like a serious one.

Let Gehrke play. Nothing to lose at this point. I think some are going to be surprised at how wrong they were about how much he brings to the offense. Gehrke is a good backup. Period.

27. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

With Sefo's recent injuries, we have to assume that Gehrke may be the guy at some point. Get him experience, rest Sefo & get healthy, silence those who wanted a change. Gehrke may step up and be a factor. If not, the coaches know a lot more (as do the fans) about what is needed.

28. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

With the hits QBs take no team can be sure that their starting QB is going to be around for the next play or the next game. Sefo is a tough guy but he isn't indestructable.

29. Colorado Track Fan

Colorado Track Fan Banned BANNED

No kidding. A kick in the pants is a response to an effort problem. Sefo throwing pics has nothing to do with effort. In fact, you probably do better by being more relaxed, not more tense.

30. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Doesn't change the offense much. But since Gehrke is a little bit better runner, it will give the quacks dc something else to prepare for.