What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gehrke getting shot to win QB job

Was this an announcement or press release from the team,or was it answers to a reporter's questions?
If they took the trouble to announce this then it's pretty clear the coaches are real unhappy with Sefo. If it's reporter asking things like, "is Gehrke going to play these next 2 games?", I don't think it's as big a deal.

If I were Sefo, I'd be pissed at Lindgren's comment:
"I feel great about Jordan," Lindgren said. "It's been hard to sit there and just watch him not play a lot this season because I think he's progressed a lot. He brings an athletic dynamic to the position that Sefo doesn't really bring, and that opens up some other things in the offense."

Was this an announcement or press release from the team,or was it answers to a reporter's questions?
If they took the trouble to announce this then it's pretty clear the coaches are real unhappy with Sefo. If it's reporter asking things like, "is Gehrke going to play these next 2 games?", I don't think it's as big a deal.

If I were Sefo, I'd be pissed at Lindgren's comment:
"I feel great about Jordan," Lindgren said. "It's been hard to sit there and just watch him not play a lot this season because I think he's progressed a lot. He brings an athletic dynamic to the position that Sefo doesn't really bring, and that opens up some other things in the offense."
There are a lot of ways to read into that.

Outside of the costly turnovers, Sefo has done a really good job leading the team. On one hand, he deserves the chance to really finish the season and correct the mistakes. But the turnovers are huge and may be nice to give Gehrke a chance to show what he has got.

What so you all think we will see? Will Gehrke be better and beat Utah? Or will Sefo take over against Utah and deliver the win?
A chance to correct the mistakes? Sefo's had all season and is not any better than he was in game 1 in INTs. Gehrke isn't very good, but some reps will help him when the game is out of reach in the second quarter.

Sounds like this is just setting the stage for spring and giving the #2 some good reps.

A chance to correct the mistakes? Sefo's had all season and is not any better than he was in game 1 in INTs. Gehrke isn't very good, but some reps will help him when the game is out of reach in the second quarter.

Sounds like this is just setting the stage for spring and giving the #2 some good reps.
Most of his mistakes are fundamental mistakes that really won't be fixed in the season like not following through his throws causing them to sail.

We've got nothing to lose other than another game by giving Gehrke a chance. A little competition never hurt anyone.

Benching a QB of a 7-2 team is controversial. Not so much on a 2-7 team. Sefo is a competitor (no one would argue with that) and hopefully learns from this and continues to improve.

Messing with Sefo's playing time is absolutely insane. I can't even believe they're considering it. The Buffaloes finally have a leader at QB and they're willing to start giving snaps to someone else instead of continuing Sefo's development? How does that help?

Sefo is top ten in the NCAA in completions, yards, touchdowns, and he has completed 65% of his passes. He's a true sophomore. He's massively improved from last season. He's got a chance to be a legitimate NFL prospect who could put CU back on the map... and some people want to kick him to the curb? Ridiculous.

Messing with Sefo's playing time is absolutely insane. I can't even believe they're considering it. The Buffaloes finally have a leader at QB and they're willing to start giving snaps to someone else instead of continuing Sefo's development? How does that help?

Sefo is top ten in the NCAA in completions, yards, touchdowns, and he has completed 65% of his passes. He's a true sophomore. He's massively improved from last season. He's got a chance to be a legitimate NFL prospect who could put CU back on the map... and some people want to kick him to the curb? Ridiculous.

Don't think it has anything to do with kicking him to the curb.

May have a lot to do with a combination of reducing the beating he has been taking on the field and giving him a chance to step back and evaluate what he has been doing out there.

He is a guy who was projected as a guy who would need development before playing when he was brought in, instead he got thrown into the fire and has been getting burned since.

M2 isn't the kind of coach to throw anyone to the curb. He is the kind of coach who is willing to say lets step back and look at what you are doing and what we need to fix for you to be as effective as we need you to be.

To my untrained eye it looks like Sefo is getting a little gunshy and some of his turnovers have been a result of panic plays. Give him a chance to slow it down and realize what's happening. Oregon is not a good team to be playing against if the game is happening faster than you are ready to process it. They may not have a great defense compared to some others but they have a fast defense that can turn mistakes into embarassment.

Messing with Sefo's playing time is absolutely insane. I can't even believe they're considering it. The Buffaloes finally have a leader at QB and they're willing to start giving snaps to someone else instead of continuing Sefo's development? How does that help? Sefo is top ten in the NCAA in completions, yards, touchdowns, and he has completed 65% of his passes. He's a true sophomore. He's massively improved from last season. He's got a chance to be a legitimate NFL prospect who could put CU back on the map... and some people want to kick him to the curb? Ridiculous.
And he also ranks in the 100s in interceptions thrown and YPA. You cannot simply ignore those stats on a 2-7 team. What you are basically advocating is him having the job as long as he wants.

:wave: I've got a question! I keep hearing from various, unnamed, posters, that Gehrke isn't any good/very good, etc. My question is, how the hell does anyone know he isn't any good? Now, I assume that Sefo has been better in practice so one could argue that Gehrke isn't as good as Sefo. But I have to assume he was recruited based on some level of "good", wasn't he?

BTW, I'm not advocating nor opposing him over Sefo. I leave that to the coaches.

From what I have seen, Gehrke is very inaccurate (and his JUCO stats would seem to confirm). Remember he was a late Spring signed after we had seen some attrition at QB, so it is possible he waz a reach for depth purposes.

:wave: I've got a question! I keep hearing from various, unnamed, posters, that Gehrke isn't any good/very good, etc. My question is, how the hell does anyone know he isn't any good? Now, I assume that Sefo has been better in practice so one could argue that Gehrke isn't as good as Sefo. But I have to assume he was recruited based on some level of "good", wasn't he?

BTW, I'm not advocating nor opposing him over Sefo. I leave that to the coaches.
I watched him pretty closely at the spring game. IMO, his arm is not as strong as Sefo's. I agree with Duff, he is not real accurate either. Not horrible, but not going to thread the needle accurately a whole bunch. He is more mobile though.

Is he a zone read type qb? I have no idea, I've never seen him play. Only games I've seen was Csu and Arizona St, that's pretty bad when we used to always be on tv. I'm in the school that nobody should have a secure job on a team like this. One thing we don't need is guys getting comfortable. We need competition and it'll work itself out.

I watched him pretty closely at the spring game. IMO, his arm is not as strong as Sefo's. I agree with Duff, he is not real accurate either. Not horrible, but not going to thread the needle accurately a whole bunch. He is more mobile though.
Fair enough. But no one has really seen him, other than a couple of cameo's and some pre-season practices, since spring. Now, like I said, kind of, if he were the best option, he'd be the starter.

All I have heard is the opposite, is this true?

Just one man's opinion. There were two deep balls he threw in the spring game that were easy picks if the DB's would have just turned their heads...loads of air under them. Not the punts disguised as passes CH used to throw, but the safeties could have gotten them easily if they just looked. He probably would be a decent run threat on the read option.

Back