What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

George's BHAG for FB by 2016

We may be arguing semantics here. What I see as an expectation, many here are viewing as a goal.

I found the article. Link

Definitely is for the 2016 season. So in a coaches 4th year I think competing for the PAC 12 title is a reasonable goal.

It's a reasonable goal. I wouldn't classify it as a realistic expectation, though. As I'm reading the slides, they're labeled "Objectives". I'm going to guess that's more of a goal than an expectation. They also list a bowl game in 2014 as a goal. I certainly wouldn't expect it, though.

FWIW the facilities stuff/photos are creating a social media buzz among 2014/15 recruits. Recruits love them some facilities.

Is everyone clear on there being a difference between a goal vs. an expectation vs. a promise?

These are goals.

I love it. RG is throwing down on the culture of losing that has taken up residence at CU over the last 10-15 years. Aim high. I'm tired of goals such as being competitive with UCLA for 3 quarters and beating the Central Arky's of the world. Big goals raise expectations. Higher expectations will ratchet up the pressure on every coach, player, and administrator at CU. You want a successful football program? Well, get rid of the juice box-orange slice culture and start acting like a big time program again. Successful organizations set ambitious goals and work like hell to achieve them. If we don't hit them we will be way better off than the complacent, ice cream eating, float down the creek crap that has been going on here for too long. You don't like big goals and the pressure to achieve them? Well son, the intramural teams play over there!

Upon reflection, I just got re-pissed at the former messaging from the CU AD & Administration that didn't ever address winning games as something it prioritized. GPA, APR, Citizenship, NCAA Violation-Free... and "be competitive" thrown in as a small bone to those who cared about sports.

Let's consider also the reason he's making these statements. He may or may not believe the goals are feasible himself, but the point is made that generic talk of "getting better" isn't going to yield increased athletic revenue. I can't claim to be inside Mr. George's head, but the cynic in me assumes this is big talk to get fans excited, which will hopefully lead to increased tickets sales, Buff Club donations (or whatever else you call it) and possibly even one or two big booster donations. Also, unless these goals trickled down from university officials on-high, nobody's going to hold him accountable to these goals -- he's going to be held accountable to the overall perceived performance whether or not CU obtains the (arbitrary) goals he sets. As fans, we'll forget about them once kickoff takes place for the CSU game this year.

Related but different subject, how about the bowl bid in two years goal? Do we see seven wins in 2015 (I'm assuming that will be required with a 13 game schedule)? Also, I just this minute learned that playing @ Hawaii gives teams a 13th by a special NCAA rule (no more bitching about East coast bias).
Anyway, here's the 2015 Schedule, commentated:
Hawaii (Away) - Sat, Sep 5
sure, call it a win
UMass (Home) - Sat, Sep 12
at Folsom? Buffs crush.
CSU (Neutral) - Sat, Sep 19
let's call it a 3-0 start
Nichols State (Home) - Sat, Sep 26
4-0

OK, assuming the Buffs make it unscathed through the non-conf schedule, we need 3 more wins. I gave this a little thought -- not sure if anyone else has noticed, but CU's in a really good conference, top to bottom.

Home has four tough ones, but let's assume we get one (I pick Arizona):
ARIZONA
STANFORD
OREGON
USC

If I'm right so far, we need two away wins. I'm thinking Utah and WSU are the best chances:
ARIZONA STATE
OREGON STATE
UCLA
UTAH
WASHINGTON STATE
The downside to to the 13th game is you need to win 7 games without a potential exemption to get to a bowl game.

Come comeback to to bite him, but if he doesn't set high goals, it's going to be hard to get donors and fans to buy into it.

I think it's more of an aspiration than an expectation. Rick George is high, I like it. Drink the kool-aid RG.

After looking over the context, and reading the comments in this mornings paper, I agree. I retract my previous criticism. I'm on board with this. You need to set high goals and work towards them, even if they may not be entirely realistic. If you're not striving for excellence, you're striving for mediocrity. No sense doing that.

Jack Welch argued that if you can't be #1 or #2 in your industry segment than you should be in the game at all. Setting bold stretch goals (that is the idea behind big hairy audacious goals-BHAGs) is what inspires everyone. How would this sound instead: We aim by 2016 to be in the top 3 of the Pac 12 South?

That may be where we end up but it is not inspiring. We may not get to his goal but if we don't set it, I suspect we would never have a chance to either. It pushes HCMM&Co, it pushes players, it gives something to shoot for that inspires donors, gives fans something to hope for...

Jack Welch argued that if you can't be #1 or #2 in your industry segment than you should be in the game at all. Setting bold stretch goals (that is the idea behind big hairy audacious goals-BHAGs) is what inspires everyone. How would this sound instead: We aim by 2016 to be in the top 3 of the Pac 12 South?

That may be where we end up but it is not inspiring. We may not get to his goal but if we don't set it, I suspect we would never have a chance to either. It pushes HCMM&Co, it pushes players, it gives something to shoot for that inspires donors, gives fans something to hope for...

My biggest beef with CU Athletic Dept leadership has been a reluctance to think big and to dream big.

Rick George has addressed that concern.

I eagerly await the moment our chancellor comes out and provides us with some quotes that match George's vision.

After looking over the context, and reading the comments in this mornings paper, I agree. I retract my previous criticism. I'm on board with this. You need to set high goals and work towards them, even if they may not be entirely realistic. If you're not striving for excellence, you're striving for mediocrity. No sense doing that.

I agree 100% with this.

The tricky part for George if they progress but don't hit those goals will be to deal with what to do at that point without either overreacting or making their goals look meaningless.

Just listened to the audio of RG's media roundtable. He called the goals aspirational and said that if we hit every one of them than they were obviously not setting the goals high enough.

Those that set goals at their workplace understand they need to be specific as possible and time bound. They should be attainable as well, so RG thinks he has the right team in place to shoot for the moon in football and get it done. I like that in the straw that stirs the drink sport we are shooting high and trying to kick ass. Sure we can argue if it is realistic or not but to make goals soft and have no details or time frames why even bother...

Those that set goals at their workplace understand they need to be specific as possible and time bound. They should be attainable as well, so RG thinks he has the right team in place to shoot for the moon in football and get it done. I like that in the straw that stirs the drink sport we are shooting high and trying to kick ass. Sure we can argue if it is realistic or not but to make goals soft and have no details or time frames why even bother...

These are less "workplace goals" and more "biz plan as a funding instrument goals".

They are appropriate.

For those who don't like RG's goals, would you prefer the Embree-style goals?

"We get to play Oregon, and that is how we have to look at it.”
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205318809

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I for one get tired of the endless Embree bashing. He never set that as a goal - he was responding to how he kept his defense spirits up knowing they were overmatched. Embree was not successful as a head coach but he is a good man who loves CU.

I for one get tired of the endless Embree bashing. He never set that as a goal - he was responding to how he kept his defense spirits up knowing they were overmatched. Embree was not successful as a head coach but he is a good man who loves CU.
Yet he turns around and calls the University (along with McCartney). Embree loves a racist university?

There are probably 100,000+ people who fit that description. That doesn't mean they are qualified nor should they be CU's head football coach.

Come to think of it, those 100,000+ people are probably just as qualified as Embree to be a head coach.

I'm waiting for a similar statement from you regarding Mike Bohn.

Bohn did a lot more good things for CU than Embree did as a coach anyway (as a player and the B4L initiative notwithstanding). However neither Bohn nor Embree were capable of formulating as bold a vision with clear action plans to attain the stretch goals being established now.

Embree would have never gotten us to a Pac12 championship within a few years and while most of us think the 2016 goal is nearly impossible for us, many of us give HCMM a fighting chance of getting us close. But Embree and Bohn are so yesterday's news that I never think about them. For the first time in years I feel optimistic about the future of the AD and he FB program while enjoying the Tadball ride as well.

Back