What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

George's BHAG for FB by 2016

Bohn did a lot more good things for CU than Embree did as a coach anyway (as a player and the B4L initiative notwithstanding). However neither Bohn nor Embree were capable of formulating as bold a vision with clear action plans to attain the stretch goals being established now.

Embree would have never gotten us to a Pac12 championship within a few years and while most of us think the 2016 goal is nearly impossible for us, many of us give HCMM a fighting chance of getting us close. But Embree and Bohn are so yesterday's news that I never think about them. For the first time in years I feel optimistic about the future of the AD and he FB program while enjoying the Tadball ride as well.
Well yeah Bohn got more than two years, but I do agree with you.

Because he didn't prove within any shadow of doubt that he was the worst AD in CU history, like Embree did as a coach.
I think it's more the nature of the positions, ADs are going to get more time generally speaking than a coach to make things right. Like a GM, it's a more big picture job than coaching.

Bohn wasn't an expensive salary and he was able to stay motivated and engaged despite working while handcuffed. There was no way, short of a scandal, that CU was going to replace him until it was ready to start spending big boy money on athletics.

There are probably 100,000+ people who fit that description. That doesn't mean they are qualified nor should they be CU's head football coach.

Come to think of it, those 100,000+ people are probably just as qualified as Embree to be a head coach.

And where did I say he should be head football coach. I said we could quit bashing him and taking what he said out of context.

I'm waiting for a similar statement from you regarding Mike Bohn.

And I don't see the endless bashing of Mike Bohn and people making stuff up to disparage him. I saw Mike Bohn at the UCLA BB game and chatted with him for a minutes. I don't hate Bohn, I just did not think he was the right guy for the AD job. I have often said he is a nice guy just not a good AD. I have stood up for Neuheisel from time to time who is second only to Dan Hawkins on may "do not respect list" and I hope I would stand up for Bohn is it seemed appropriate. As a counter point too many fans (and not just CU fans) think if someone is unsuccessful as a coach or AD that we have to hate them and spew venom towards them. I try to avoid that but we all get sucked into bad behavior from time to time.

Yet he turns around and calls the University (along with McCartney). Embree loves a racist university?

I really avoided this discussion when it was going one because it is complex. I think you better go back an check because Embree did not call CU a "racist university" - What he did say (and it was bringing up the Race card) was that Black coaches did not get second chances. McCartney was the one who went into attack mode (and if you know him it should of been expected).

Embree said something along the lines of he was fired after only two years because he was black, that can easily be interpreted as someone calling a university racist. Embree could have apologized for his comments and taken responsibility for his failings, he did NONE of that. What Embree and Bill both did is unforgivable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embree said:

"I mentioned that to Mike," Embree said. "You know we don't get opportunities. At the end of the day, you get fired and that's it, right, wrong or indifferent. (Former Notre Dame coach) Tyrone Willingham was the only one who got fired and got hired again. We get bad jobs and no time to fix it."

Then, a couple days later, Embree was asked if he would have gotten more time if he was white, to which he responded:

"Probably, and you'd have to base that on history," he said. "And history says you get more than two (years). I'm not into research and all the other aspects of it, but how many coaches have been fired after two years with the same record?"

Embree was then asked if Gene Chizik (who had a terrible record at Iowa State before getting the Auburn job) would have gotten the Auburn job if he was black and Embree laughed and said:

"No. No, he's not getting that job. No."

Embree was then asked about CU's next head coach. He predicted the next head coach at CU would be white.

"Because the coach they just fired was black."

Embree then completely threw CU under the bus:

Asked if a black coach would want the head job at Colorado, Embree said, "I don't know. That's hard to say. I would doubt it. ... I don't know how a minority and an outsider would feel confident about leaving a current job that they were in and having success to come in here and roll the dice like that."

So yeah - Embree pretty much lead with and finished up with the race card. **** that guy.

Bill Marolt was on with Drew & Scott today. He is/was a freaking legend of an AD. He spoke positively about RG and the likelihood of the resurgence of the program.

Hour 2:
http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1620

What did Marolt do that was so great as AD? The Dal Ward center? I'm struggling with anything else. Did he expand the donor base? Increase the profile of the athletic department? Put butts in the seats at Folsom/Coors? Lead any kind of meaningful facility expansion? Hire coaches that went on to greatness? What exactly makes him a freaking legend?

What did Marolt do that was so great as AD? The Dal Ward center? I'm struggling with anything else. Did he expand the donor base? Increase the profile of the athletic department? Put butts in the seats at Folsom/Coors? Lead any kind of meaningful facility expansion? Hire coaches that went on to greatness? What exactly makes him a freaking legend?

He had a great track record at CU and for the US Olympic Committee

https://ussa.org/ussa/ussa-management-team

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=608618

I sometimes wonder if you're joking.

• Football - he extended Mac, was AD while we won NC and three Big 8's, program has never seen those heights before or since
  • Facilities - Dal Ward (until shovel hits ground on the new project, this remains the most significant facilities upgrade in CU history, and was ahead of its time)
  • Cross Country, Ski Team, Women's Basketball
  • He left in '96... has our AD profile increased or decreased since then?
  • Every AD has struggled with donations, up until about three months ago
  • Every AD has struggled with attendance, because Boulder

In other words, he gets 5 out of 5 Bohns in your scoring matrix.

I sometimes wonder if you're joking.

• Football - he extended Mac, was AD while we won NC and three Big 8's, program has never seen those heights before or since
  • Facilities - Dal Ward (until shovel hits ground on the new project, this remains the most significant facilities upgrade in CU history, and was ahead of its time)
  • Cross Country, Ski Team, Women's Basketball
  • He left in '96... has our AD profile increased or decreased since then?
  • Every AD has struggled with donations, up until about three months ago
  • Every AD has struggled with attendance, because Boulder

In other words, he gets 5 out of 5 Bohns in your scoring matrix.

You're giving him props for extending Mac? Hell, any dipsh*t would have done that. Dal Ward? Sure. Great. He did a one-off and didn't do anything else. He seemed to be under the impression that the Dal Ward Center was good enough for eternity.

Marolt was a place holder. He benefited greatly from the greatest run of football success this University has ever had, and he did as close to nothing with it as possible. He lacked vision and leadership. But hey, the football team was great, right? Must make him a legendary athletic director for not screwing that up. :thumbsup:

You're giving him props for extending Mac? Hell, any dipsh*t would have done that. Dal Ward? Sure. Great. He did a one-off and didn't do anything else. He seemed to be under the impression that the Dal Ward Center was good enough for eternity.

Marolt was a place holder. He benefited greatly from the greatest run of football success this University has ever had, and he did as close to nothing with it as possible. He lacked vision and leadership. But hey, the football team was great, right? Must make him a legendary athletic director for not screwing that up. :thumbsup:
You clearly have a bias here, consistent with your feelings about Bohn and RG. Marolt came in in 1984 - when the team was 1-10 - and extended Mac. I'm not sure more than 1 out of 10 ADs, dip**** or otherwise, do the same. Then the program had its greatest run of success. He left in 1996, and we've won 10 games only once since then.

If you want to pretend that he was just along for the ride, that's great, but to prove it wasn't a fluke he's been hugely successful in everything that he's ever done.

You clearly have a bias here, consistent with your feelings about Bohn and RG. Marolt came in in 1984 - when the team was 1-10 - and extended Mac. I'm not sure more than 1 out of 10 ADs, dip**** or otherwise, do the same. Then the program had its greatest run of success. He left in 1996, and we've won 10 games only once since then.

If you want to pretend that he was just along for the ride, that's great, but to prove it wasn't a fluke he's been hugely successful in everything that he's ever done.

Prior to hiring Bohn, CU had never hired anybody from outside the CU family. Going all the way back to Henry Carlson, it had always been a former CU coach or high level assistant AD (in the case of Tharp). Those guys were fine, but lacked the vision to take CU to the next level. Marolt wasn't responsible for hiring Bill McCartney, and he didn't want to be bothered finding a replacement for him, either.

You're trying to tie the success of the athletic director to the success of the football team. That's easy to do, but misguided. Marolt was a good-old-boy and he didn't screw up. I'll give him credit for bringing back three sports after the debacle in 1980. What was handed to him, football wise, was a gold mine. He did nothing with it.

Prior to hiring Bohn, CU had never hired anybody from outside the CU family. Going all the way back to Henry Carlson, it had always been a former CU coach or high level assistant AD (in the case of Tharp). Those guys were fine, but lacked the vision to take CU to the next level. Marolt wasn't responsible for hiring Bill McCartney, and he didn't want to be bothered finding a replacement for him, either.

You're trying to tie the success of the athletic director to the success of the football team. That's easy to do, but misguided. Marolt was a good-old-boy and he didn't screw up. I'll give him credit for bringing back three sports after the debacle in 1980. What was handed to him, football wise, was a gold mine. He did nothing with it.

We have had this argument before and not matter what anyone says you turn it around and say it does not count. You are flat out wrong on Marolt, he took over CU at it darkest hours. Our two biggest donors where in the dog house because of the whole Chuck Fairbanks thing and had distanced themselves from the program. Title IX had been upheld in the courts and was starting to have a huge impact on AD funding. If you think that Marolt "did not want to be bothered" then you know nothing of Marolt - he watches every detail. He has been successful at every stop along the way. Coaching, AD, Olympics.

You claim that Marolt is a good old boy. You could not be more wrong. Marolt is one of the most forward thinking men I have every met.

I guess we will agree to disagree about Marolt.

Back