1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glad we have a DU hoops on our site

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Mick Ronson, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

nothing against our mods, AB is a great site.....it's like i used to sit in the UMC getting ready to teach as a doc student and watch trucks back into the UMC with DU sports ads on them and think...."we are getting out marketed on our own freakin campus".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

We don't really control which specific ads get served.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i'm just saying is it so weird that we do? and if they are arbitrary DU is here....?

that THEY are the marketable demographic?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. dio

absinthe can comment more - but I believe the ad company we use serves ads based on what searches lead visitors here, and where people are coming from. DU is a bit strange I suppose, but we also get a lot of fusker ads for some reason.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

There is one ad on here a lot for a site that sells college team gear. The team shown in the ad is totally determined by thread content (KU in the Mangino thread, UF in the Urban thread, NU in the "what's new in corn" thread, etc.).

6. dio

Ah, I see

7. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Basically the way it works is the ad serving's company runs through a series of checks: time of day, location, price, over all inventory, ads already served to a user, and uses that info to select a pool of potential ads. From that pool they then review the content of what ever page/pages are on the site and serve accordingly. We get a lot of fusker ads becuase we talk about them a lot. The DU is likely more a case of DU going to the ad-server and saying "on this day, at these times, serve our b-ball ads to local users who might make a snap decision to go to the game."