What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Goat Nation meltdown....

They need to hang it up and go to FCS if they can't manage to get to 6-6 with their schedule this year (they won't). CSU may only have one remaining win -- San Jose State. UTEP is bad, but I can tell you right now they will not win in El Paso. UNLV is also horrendous, but they did beat Hawaii by 20 last week and that game is also in Las Vegas. The only other game they'll have any chance in is Wyoming. The Pokes are pretty bad/erratic themselves typically, but they're 3-0 thus far and beat CSU 44-0 last season. I had been thinking that Fairchild would keep his job this year due to their easy schedule allowing him to win enough to be 5-7 or 6-6, but it's pretty clear that they're looking at a 3 or 4 win season, and that's not going to cut it in year 4. They obviously aren't going to have the money to throw down on Leach, and it's ****ing hilarious they've been talking about Barnett and Hawkins over there as well, not to mention Charlie Weis!! If an "offensive mastermind - one of the best offensive minds in the game of football" according to Joel Klatt can't get it done there, who can? They really need to realize things will be much better for them in FCS. Their facilities, fanbase, etc are all in-line with FCS. Some FCS schools draw 30k a game, that's something CSU can only dream of, although their 15k a game would be pretty solid. We obviously wouldn't play them every year once they're FCS, but I'm sure we'd be happy to give them a nice payday a couple times a decade and beat them 77-3.

This is funny. My father, a CSU alum, also would support them dropping down to FCS. He doesn't like the emphasis that is placed on athletics in D1.

I think that if superconference happen the BCS system will radically change and "AQ" will have no meaning.

Agreed. 4x16 configuration naturally leads to 1+1 playoff, not unlinked BCS bowls. For the non 4x16 conferences, what then? After a lot of hand wringing and recrimination, I think they must form their own super conferences and playoff system. With the eventual hope that their top teams enter into an expanded NC playoff system perhaps via a losers bracket. But that will take many years to coalesce. In the meantime they'll be wandering the wilderness hoping that recruits don't view them as irrelevant.

I strongly suspect that Nik manufactured this "Cal84" login in an effort to prove that there were others out there that agree with him. They write really similar things in a very similar style. Suspiciously so.

I've seen some here predict we'll still have a winning season although we were crushed by a team that a "horrendous" UNLV put a beatdown on. IMHO, due to schedules, CSU has a better chance at a winning record than we do. We would have to keep improving to come anywhere near that, but CSU could also improve. At some point, you have to let fans be fans and let go of the hate.

I've seen some here predict we'll still have a winning season although we were crushed by a team that a "horrendous" UNLV put a beatdown on. IMHO, due to schedules, CSU has a better chance at a winning record than we do. We would have to keep improving to come anywhere near that, but CSU could also improve. At some point, you have to let fans be fans and let go of the hate.
How about this. **** CSU. **** you. They suck ass and CU would win 9 games + with that schedule.

CSU failing is not good for college football in Colorado. The comparisons to Louisiana and Mississippi are specious, those states are much more frenzied, unwavering college football hotbeds whereas Colorado has so many other things going on (pro sports) that the interest, quality, and perception of college football can fluctuate quite a bit. If CSU stays the same, gets worse, or goes DII, it would hurt CU and AFA. Face it, we're locked into a rivalry with the Rams (our only one going right now last I checked) and we need them to be more competitive. The CU-CSU game used to be on National TV - now it's on the MTN, Root, etc. Need to get it back to national relevance, and CU has a part in that, too.

CSU failing is not good for college football in Colorado. The comparisons to Louisiana and Mississippi are specious, those states are much more frenzied, unwavering college football hotbeds whereas Colorado has so many other things going on (pro sports) that the interest, quality, and perception of college football can fluctuate quite a bit. If CSU stays the same, gets worse, or goes DII, it would hurt CU and AFA. Face it, we're locked into a rivalry with the Rams (our only one going right now last I checked) and we need them to be more competitive. The CU-CSU game used to be on National TV - now it's on the MTN, Root, etc. Need to get it back to national relevance, and CU has a part in that, too.
Bull****

Please explain our run under McCartney then.

I don't give a **** about football in Colorado. I care about Colorado football. There is a difference. **** CSU.

Many have turned on Fairchild and refer to the season as the SF farewell tour. One guy even has started a countdown to the end of the season, presumably, because they will fire SF and hire Urban Meyer, Jim Tressell, Leach or Mangino...and no I am not kidding, they actually have suggested those names as realisitic possibilities. Why they don't add Saban to the list remains a mystery.:rolling_eyes:

Also, Pistol Pete Thomas, who was until 9/17 at 11:30 a.m., the second coming of Joe Montana, is now a goat (pun intended) and a bust who can't see the field or throw it deep.

Phrases like worst Offense in D 1 are also bandied about (although there is some question as to whether CSewe truly is a D 1 program).

Complaints about crummy fans, a second rate facility (obviously there are some that are just figuring this out) and broad based lament that they play in a weenie conference nobody cares about and their games are broadcast on a network with the same viewership as Battle Creek, Michigan town council meetings.

Overall, it is pretty entertaining...a guilty pleasure, but still fun.

The Fat Man might be gettable for them, though I'm not sure how well he would do being at altitude for a sustained period.

BULL****! Hawai'i is a much different team at home and it was the first ****ing game of a new regime. I'll let the Hawai'i game pass because I have seen steady improvement since then.

As for CSU, they are lucky they're not 1-2. I would be willing to bet Utah state (a team that almost beat Auburn) beats the rammies this weekend. CSU is a dog**** program. Fill CSU's schedule up with 13 games of Northern Colorado and CU's up with Cal's and Hawai'i's and CSU would still find a way to have a worse record than CU.

CSU showing improvement during a season? :jester::lol3: we're heading into week 4 now, and they've shown zero improvement.

CSU has no shot at a winning season, let alone getting to .500. That's not being an irrational fan, CSU just ****ing sucks to the point where they will not beat all of Utah State, SJSU,UTEP, UNLV, and Wyoming to post a winning season. In fact, there's no chance they win more than two of those.

...and yeah, UNLV is "horrendous". When you lose by 52 to Washington State, you are ​horrendous.

Last edited:

Exactly what I was thinking. Instead of saying **** you, come up with a way to refute anything in this post.

Leach isn't going to CSU. He'll be the HC at UofA or ASU next year. FACT

I guess going to UofA would be akin to his first HC gig in tortilla-ville. Mediocre program, middle of nowhere.........

Hate to say it, but I think MrCleanErickson may have bought himself a little more time.

1. I said we have a worse chance of > 50% record with our schedule vs CSU with their schedule. I agree we would cream their schedule.
2. Since when is realism being "negative nancy?" I wasn't the first nor the last to predict 4 or less wins this year. Oh, wait, that was leash talking. Nevermind.

I strongly suspect that Nik manufactured this "Cal84" login in an effort to prove that there were others out there that agree with him. They write really similar things in a very similar style. Suspiciously so.

Half the board is me. The question is "which half?". The other question is "is Buffnik arguing with himself in this post?".

I guess going to UofA would be akin to his first HC gig in tortilla-ville. Mediocre program, middle of nowhere.........

Hate to say it, but I think MrCleanErickson may have bought himself a little more time.

We'll see. I would like nothing more than for the Buffs to help him out the door on October 29th.

Interesting that you chose to respond to Nik/Cal84 using your Walrus login instead of your Burrito Palazzo.

Please explain our run under McCartney then.
I never said that CU's success was dependent on CSU being competitive - our run under Mac had nothing to do with CSU, it had to do with CU winning alot, and our success was compunded by being on national TV alot.

Starting in 2006, our games vs. CSU have been on CSTV, the MTN, FSN, and ROOT. Prior to that, the game was on TBS (National), ESPN (National), ESPN2 (National), ABC, FOX, etc.

Again, we're locked into this game, so why not root for it to be relevant again? It helps the perception of CU when it is, and in case no one has noticed, CU is not nationally relevant. We were in 2001 (coming off a 3-8 season) when the game vs. CSU (who was ranked) was on ABC. If CSU continues to suck, the perception of the rivalry will continue to suck, and the game will never be on national TV again. Considering that CSU will beat us every so often, I'd rather they be ranked than D2.

Last edited:
I never said that CU's success was dependent on CSU being competitive - our run under Mac had nothing to do with CSU, it had to do with CU winning alot, and our success was compunded by being on national TV alot.

Starting in 2006, our games vs. CSU have been on CSTV, the MTN, FSN, and ROOT. Prior to that, the game was on TBS (National), ESPN (National), ESPN2 (National), ABC, FOX, etc.

Again, we're locked into this game, so why not root for it to be relevant again? It helps the perception of CU when it is, and in case no one has noticed, CU is not nationally relevant. We were in 2001 (coming off a 3-8 season) when the game vs. CSU (who was ranked) was on ABC. If CSU continues to suck, the perception of the rivalry will continue to suck, and the game will never be on national TV again. Considering that CSU will beat us every so often, I'd rather they be ranked than D2.

The nation will likely never view CSU as relevant. Given our new television contract, the game will now ALWAYS be on TV. EVERY Colorado football game will now be on TV. So it pretty much doesn't matter who we are playing. The best thing Colorado can do is beat the rammies bad every year.

The nation will likely never view CSU as relevant. Given our new television contract, the game will now ALWAYS be on TV. EVERY Colorado football game will now be on TV. So it pretty much doesn't matter who we are playing. The best thing Colorado can do is beat the rammies bad every year.

I guarantee that most of the nation doesn't even realize CSU exists. I've been out of state and when the lammies are playing have heard them referred to as Colorado. The nation doesn't care about CSU or the rest of the MWC, I'll go so far as to say most of the country doesn't know that media darling Boyzee is in the MWC.

Back