What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Goat Nation meltdown....

The biggest thing that CU needs is to capture the hearts and minds of college football fans in the state of Colorado. CSU and the RMS game were a misguided attempt to make this happen. CSU cannot elevate CU. What elevates CU is to completely bury that program while CU wins a lot and builds impressive facilities for gameday experiences when Denver metro fans come to Boulder for a game. Things like renovating Balch/West Side so that we provide media with the most enjoyable press box experience around will go a lot farther to improving CU's place in the state's sports hierarchy than playing a bad CSU team in Denver.

What we need to happen is that we start going to bowl games and playing regularly on national television. Along with that, we need to beat CSU every year for the rest of this series. That will kill it and kill it in a way that makes is so no one will care that it's gone.

I guarantee that most of the nation doesn't even realize CSU exists. I've been out of state and when the lammies are playing have heard them referred to as Colorado. The nation doesn't care about CSU or the rest of the MWC, I'll go so far as to say most of the country doesn't know that media darling Boyzee is in the MWC.

I can only speak from experience, but I went to CSU @ Virginia in 2002 (they snuck in a game before facing CU) when CSU had a good team with Van Pelt and would have been at the height of their "national recognition", and half the crowd thought UVA was playing "Colorado".

Honest statement,

They have had recruits make an official visit and ask where the buffalo is, when they get off the airplane they think they are going to Boulder.

The only time they ever make national TV is in highlights getting beat on by whichever MWC team is trying to be a BCS buster that year.

Honest statement,

They have had recruits make an official visit and ask where the buffalo is, when they get off the airplane they think they are going to Boulder.

The only time they ever make national TV is in highlights getting beat on by whichever MWC team is trying to be a BCS buster that year.

This shows up a lot when we're doing the recruit databases. Sometimes prospects tell Scout or whichever that they have an offer from "Colorado" and the offer is actually from CSU. When we see CSU in a few databases but no CU, and then CU shows up in another, it's a good bet that the player does not have a CU offer.

CSU failing is not good for college football in Colorado. The comparisons to Louisiana and Mississippi are specious, those states are much more frenzied, unwavering college football hotbeds whereas Colorado has so many other things going on (pro sports) that the interest, quality, and perception of college football can fluctuate quite a bit. If CSU stays the same, gets worse, or goes DII, it would hurt CU and AFA. Face it, we're locked into a rivalry with the Rams (our only one going right now last I checked) and we need them to be more competitive. The CU-CSU game used to be on National TV - now it's on the MTN, Root, etc. Need to get it back to national relevance, and CU has a part in that, too.

CSU has about as much impact on our place in the College Football world as UAB does to Alabama. They are about as relevant as UNC to CU. I don't wish them any harm but I really don't care if they stay D-1 or not. From their perspective, the school would lose a lot of prestige if their athletics fell to a lower level regardless of how hapless they are right now. If CSU really gives a crap about their football team, they would fund it and would find the boosters in their alumni base to support it. From CU's perspective, we get nothing out of playing them and only stand to lose. Let CSU do whatever they need to. Good luck, I say.

Honest statement,

I really would like to see the look on SF's face whenever a recruit does that.

Back