1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going for 2 in the third quarter

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

That's a big no-no for me, but I'm sure glad it worked out. Gutsy call, and it paid dividends.

BTW - I couldn't watch the play. I sat down and covered my head and waited for the crowd reaction. Yes, I'm a coward, but that really made me nervous. :wow:

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

There were only 34 seconds left in the third quarter, so I didn't really have a problem with the call.

3. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

When CU scored, I immediately said to my dad that they had to go for 2. As BB said, the 3rd quarter was over and what's the difference being down 4 vs 5 in the 4th quarter? Not much.

4. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Look at the match man it made perfect sense if they had gone for the PAT it would have been 31-27 (or26 if we missed) at the end with us needing a touch down to win. With the 2pt it either gives us the chance to tie with a field goal or if we miss we are in the exact same place down a TD.

you think being able to watch the play was stressful try being forced to watch the game via blackberry.

5. Kameltosis

Kameltosis Well-Known Member

I thought it took nuts. I applaud Hawk for it. Reminds me of Osborne and the famouse two point failure.

Really though, either way I think it was cool of him

6. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

I don't either with the way the game was going after halftime (With CSU already trying to run the clock out). Kicking the extra point did as much good as going for two and missing.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I typically hate going for 2 before the 4th quarter because there is a lot of football left to be played. Case in point - if we're down 23 - 28 and CSU kicks a field goal, we're down by 8 points. That forces us to go for two if we manage a touchdown. With 15 minutes of football left to be played, it's a very real possibility that CSU could have kicked a field goal.

Like I said, I usually don't approve of going for 2 before the 4th quarter. I'll give Hawk credit for A) having the balls to do it and B) having the right play called to maximize the chances for success.