What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

good, bad, and ugly thread on the fsu loss...

I'm saying we need a better QB, if Cody is the best we have, than we will never be that good. So we need a much better QB, if Ballenger isnt the answer; we should at least let him try.

DH needs to be a HC and give another QB a chance, if not this year then next year. Start thinking about the future.

I don't think one loss is enough to throw away the season by starting another QB. If we did start Ballenger, i think we'd be giving up on the season.

I think saying Cody is bad is a far cry from the truth, inconsistant would describe it better. The favorite person on any football team is always the backup QB. Just take a break and relax, FSU is a good, fast team and came into this game fired up. Yes we should have added at least 14 points and been in the positive turnover category but next week I think we have a real chance at playing very well and fired up against texas.

I'm not saying Cody is a bad QB. All I am trying to say is he hasn't had a good game yet. His numbers have been good, but that's about it.

I'll bet most on this board in the past week posted on how freakish and good the Criminole's D looked. We put 21 points up on them, the most scored on them this year. Did Cody have a bad day? Absolutely. Should we bench him? Hell no!!!!! Not when we are 3-1, when most at the beginning of the year would have nearly killed to be in this position. So lets take a chill on Cody, and see how the rest of the year shakes out. Somebody needs to stomp on that F&*kin injury bug though.

Good: Playcalling, we were setting up wide open bombs the majority of the first half. 3-1.

Bad: Cody just had a bad game, he's normally good enough not to lose it, but today he took the wind out of our sails early. I've seen worse oline play but it wasn't great either.

Ugly: Miller hurt, special teams, and half the jokesters freakin out in chat.

It seemed to me that our WRs learned how to drop the ball again. :sad1: Williams dropped 75% of what was thrown at him and Jfly had two or three off his hands. I know Cody wasn't throwing great balls in most cases but many of the drops were catchable. I had really hoped our WR's had gotten past this but apparently not. :cry:

Anyone else notice that McKnight was practically absent? I don't think had had a catch, but he did catch two key pass interference calls.

I'll bet most on this board in the past week posted on how freakish and good the Criminole's D looked. We put 21 points up on them, the most scored on them this year. Did Cody have a bad day? Absolutely. Should we bench him? Hell no!!!!! Not when we are 3-1, when most at the beginning of the year would have nearly killed to be in this position. So lets take a chill on Cody, and see how the rest of the year shakes out. Somebody needs to stomp on that F&*kin injury bug though.

:yeahthat:

I'm not ready to give up on Cody. Hopefully he steps up next week.

OK, you do have a point. That is the most anyone has scored on them this year. That D was awesome, but still, I dont think he will improve much more than his current abilities.

I thought Cody played much better in the second half, even with the running game being stuffed. If he can consistently play like he did in the second half today, we'll be set.

Edit: I was fairly :drink: by the second half, so maybe I missed some bad reads/throws.

But folks were wide, wide open.....When the qb can't hit wide open (i mean no one ever covering them open) 50% of the time there is a problem.

It's not like Cody was in a rocking chair when he threw those passes. I know he should've made them, but he was getting heat from everywhere this afternoon.

But folks were wide, wide open.....When the qb can't hit wide open (i mean no one ever covering them open) 50% of the time there is a problem.

I agree he didn't play well in the first half. But I think the second half showed he has the potential to be very good, if he becomes more consistent. Will he? I have no idea, but we don't know that anybody on the bench will either.

hmm i am a cody fan. I think he has been decent but not great. inconcistant. No not ready to give up on him. Just really upset we couldnt go 4-0 but i think we are lucky to be 3-1 after what the challenge was for the OOC.

I think getting their cheaters back on the team really helped fire up FSU. I was glad to see Geer get a TD again.

I thought the ref's screwed the pooch many times and really took control of the game early. Is cody perfect? no. Great? no not even. But he is what we have and is USUALLY managing the game. He was under heat A LOT today. that was a damn fast D and we can not drop the ball.

I also dont like the HB draw out of a shot gun. I know we were trying to burn their speed but i thought it was obious early that play was not working but they kept trying it.

End of my rant. FSU is over now lets get after Texass. I just dont want to get blown out of this game.

Go Buffs

It's at home. I want to win this one. It's doable. Texass isn't oklahoma...

OK, I guess all the naysayers, myself included, will be saying DH is the greatest thing since Jesus invented the sandle, and Cody is as good as Detmer if we beat Tejas next week. Let's hope it happens because that would be huge.

I know cody had a bad game, but it seemed like Cody's throwing motion was affected by that hit on his arm on the first throw. Those balls in the second quarter weren't just overthrown, they were practically end over end. Maybe I'm just in shock. We just gave away a signature road win through special teams and bad offensive execution.

He was never comfortable in the pocket. The cheap shot by the FSU DL certainly had alot to do with that. The line needs to protect Cody better than they did today.

I think we need to have Cody work from under center a little more, and have at least a couple of three step drops, to keep the defense guessing as to where Cody is going to be and when he is throwing the ball. A speed team is just going to tee off. Some wham blocks on the defense's right end would help a little too.

I know cody had a bad game, but it seemed like Cody's throwing motion was affected by that hit on his arm on the first throw. Those balls in the second quarter weren't just overthrown, they were practically end over end. Maybe I'm just in shock. We just gave away a signature road win through special teams and bad offensive execution.

"Cody had a bad game."

I've heard that for the last 4 games. I want to hear "cody had a good game." When was the last time we heard that?

CU left AT LEAST 17 points on the field in the first half and easily could have been ahead 24-7. You cannot do that against a decent team on the road with a strong defense. Cody has got to start making those plays. This was a winnable game that they let slip away. Has anyone heard about Miller. I hope it's not season ending. They can't afford to lose another lineman-especially their best one.

Back to earth for all us Buff fans

After four games here are some conclusions I've drawn

1. Cody Hawkins is a good game manager and he's the best we've got but he won't be taking us to the next level. I think he has been an integral part of the Buffs turn around with his great attitude and courageous efforts. You have to love his heart. Defenses have no fear of him though and I hope we get a big time kid to step forward and really give Dan Hawkins a dilemma. You guys who are closer to the program than I say it's not Ballenger or Nelson and I trust this assessment, but we need somebody to take Cody Hawkins spot and be a dangerous threat to any defense, anytime he takes the field

2. We can be run on. We were run on today, WVU ran all over us even though we won, even CSU had a very ordinary back almost break the century mark on us (he had 70 yards against mighty Sacramento State)

3. Opposing QB's still can look good against us when they have too. They may not be getting the yards they did last year but we still have trouble stopping them in critical situations. I saw him last week, Ponder is a dud. Five years from now this kid won't even be playing in the CFL but we couldn't keep him from making key first downs when we really needed a stop to make s serious run at them.

4. Our special teams coverage is being exposed as a weakness. Just another area where we are not showing particularly well. 200 yards in kick returns for FSU.....Ouch.

5. No way this team should have nicked us for 39 points. After that pathetic showing against Wake Forest (no great team either) we should have been able to hold them to a much lower point total. They got healthy and gained confidence at our expense today and that sucks

6. I really think the world caught up with this young Buff squad today. I think those who had a sneaking feeling the Buffs were doing some of this with mirrors were right. We got whipped today and that's all there is to it. We beat CSU but didn't make quite the statement everybody was hoping for. We got past EWU by the skin of our teeth and we beat WVU despite the fact they looked great on the ground against us. We have never looked really dominant this season going into this game. Injuries, refs, slumps, youth all play a factor but overall the Buffs have a ways to go to really even be a top 25 team let alone top contender. We take the next big step when we go out and totally dominate someone (I'm talking 49, 56 points 550, 600 yards offense and completely mug them on defense, 110 - 125 total yards)

I'm encouraged by the potential in this team. We need two more excellent recruiting classes and I think we can be a force. This year I see us going down to UT, Misery and OSU (Gawd I hate to think of Gundy beating us again) pretty handily. I think Kansas goes either way. We should have ISU, KSU, TA&M if these kids don't lose their spirit and I would never pick the Buffs to lose to the hucksters. 7 - 5 is possible but I think it is the best this team can give this year

There is not good, plenty of bad, and lots of ugly! I AM SO PISSED. WE SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST GIVEN FSU A ****ING GAME! ****!

We take the next big step when we go out and totally dominate someone (I'm talking 49, 56 points 550, 600 yards offense and completely mug them on defense, 110 - 125 total yards)

In this day and age of offensive college football, it is pretty rare to hold a decent offense to 100-150 yards. (Unless it is a div i-aa team playing a good div i-a team or something)

But it does cause me great concern that this offense, with some pretty good players is only averaging 350 yards per game.

I remember before the season started, everyone was bagging on our defense, and saying our offense was great. Myself included. :lol:

Hawkins is too tied to his son. Cody should be benched. 'nuff said.

I'm pretty sure DH leaves the call of who will be playing QB to Helfirch.

I still think Cody is the guy for this season, but he may not be the guy for his junior and senior years.

Back