What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

Kiffin is in the process of rehabbing his reputation. saban showed genius by hiring the guy-- i thought it would be a train wreck. instead, kiffin is the reason they beat auburn last weekend. saban would have turtled in the 2nd half once they got the 3 point lead without kiffin there.

kiffin is not going to take the ****ing sheep job. he will stay at bama another year or 2 to complete the rehab and then he will get a big ass job. again. he's been the hc at the raiders, tennessee, and usc, fer goodness' sakes.

I think you are absolutely right. Kiffen will stick with Saban, help him win a lot of games over the next couple years then take a high profile job.

He will fail miserably at that job but make enough money that he can laugh all the way to the bank.

Kiffen may be one of those guys who can be a very good coordinator under the right HC but lacks something needed to be the head guy.

I heard McElwain would stay, but he's still pissed that Mayor Webb got his name wrong after the CU game.

Having just spent time on their site, it is interesting that their fans list of targets for replacements seems to closely mirror Nebraska's and Michigans. I don't think reality has sunk in. Just fired the AD. Just failed at the stadium capital raise. 112 ranked recruiting class in hand. Average attendance of 22k in a 9 win season.

I would be looking hard at Tony Allfred, and knowing Tony, he would kick ass in that job.

Bummer for CSU, but he has to take this job if it's offered to him. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. He worked his tail off while he was here, made some great improvements, and left the program much better off than when he got here.

CSU needs to turn their attention to the next coach to continue the climb. That list isn't going to be the same as Michigan's, Florida's, etc, but the CSU job is a decent one for someone looking to take the next step or to have a shot at a head coaching job. The team isn't a mess, this isn't a complete rebuild, new stadium will eventually be built, and the administration seems to be stepping up to the plate in terms of commitment to athletics. This would have to be one of the top few G5 coaching jobs as of today. That only goes so far, which I understand. Hopefully CSU can find someone to keep us on track. Of course, if they are successful that coach will probably be gone within a few years. As long as CSU remains in the MWC that is our reality. It sucks, but it's better than the alternative - firing an underperforming coach.

I appreciate what McElwain has done for CSU and wish him luck.

Bummer for CSU, but he has to take this job if it's offered to him. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. He worked his tail off while he was here, made some great improvements, and left the program much better off than when he got here.

CSU needs to turn their attention to the next coach to continue the climb. That list isn't going to be the same as Michigan's, Florida's, etc, but the CSU job is a decent one for someone looking to take the next step or to have a shot at a head coaching job. The team isn't a mess, this isn't a complete rebuild, new stadium will eventually be built, and the administration seems to be stepping up to the plate in terms of commitment to athletics. This would have to be one of the top few G5 coaching jobs as of today. That only goes so far, which I understand. Hopefully CSU can find someone to keep us on track. Of course, if they are successful that coach will probably be gone within a few years. As long as CSU remains in the MWC that is our reality. It sucks, but it's better than the alternative - firing an underperforming coach.

I appreciate what McElwain has done for CSU and wish him luck.

Damn straight, CU has a lot of recent experience in that area, and it ain't pretty. I figured if McElwain made some noise he would leave. If MikMac can ever put together a winner, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship to a program like UF.

BTW, what does G5 stand for? Not a flame, I have just seen it in reference to CSU.

P5 = Power 5 conferences (PAC, Bigs, SEC, ACC)
G5= Group of the next best 5 conferences (MWC, American, MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt)

I think most CSU fans, at least those being honest, never thought Sparkles would stay forever. I think the bitterness you see on Ramnation is coming from most the notion that most thought he would turn down lower tier P5 jobs (like Kansas), if offered, and wait until a major P5 program came after him to say yes. Except no one really thought a major P5 program like Florida would coming knocking so soon. I'm not bitter, but I thought it would take another season or two of success to generate that sort of interest. This is all happening sooner than anyone could have realistically predicted.

And if Tony does his job well during this buy out, you should have a bucket of money that will make your staff one of the top paid in the MWC over the next few years without accumulation of addition all debt. that buy out will change the way AD's negotiate contracts going forward. Captain Jack may not of played well with the sensitive ladies in the office, but he brought in a coach that changed the direction of CSU's program and wrote a contract that should keep it going if the tenure track PC pansies don't screw it up.

And if Tony does his job well during this buy out, you should have a bucket of money that will make your staff one of the top paid in the MWC over the next few years without accumulation of addition all debt. that buy out will change the way AD's negotiate contracts going forward. Captain Jack may not of played well with the sensitive ladies in the office, but he brought in a coach that changed the direction of CSU's program and wrote a contract that should keep it going if the tenure track PC pansies don't screw it up.

Rumor is that CSU is not going to see the 7.5mil in cash. May see 4mil with a trip to the swamp and a return trip for the gators to Moby. Idk. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't believe CSU will receive 7.5 million. Not in cash at least.

This will be interesting though.

I wondered over to ramnation to see what they are talking about. I figured more would be like ramfan up above. The most recent thread I saw was them concerned about Hart going to Florida. That would be dirty. I guess we did something similar with Chris Brown though.

The positive for csu is that they are a great showcase for a good coach. A lot of coordinator types looking for a path to the P5 schools will see csu as a great opportunity. While being a "stepping stone" may kind of suck, I see it as a "win-win" for the rams. They will have a lot of interest from very good coaches.

Right. The buy-out, however it ends up getting negotiated, is a decent parting gift for CSU and should be how CSU conducts themselves as long as they are in the MWC (I'm not implying a move to another conference is pending, but it's clear, if it wasn't already, that CSU needs to do everything in their very limited power to get the hell out/be attractive). Get the next up and coming head coaching prospect, pay him well, and have him agree to a sizable buy-out. If he succeeds and leaves then CSU has the cash, publicity, and program to keep the cycle going. This is small sample size proof that if you come to CSU and do well you could end up being the next coach at Florida (meaning most any P5 school). Using that line as a selling point 3 years ago would have made everyone laugh, now it's a fact. This is an attractive job for someone on that path.

Last edited:
P5 = Power 5 conferences (PAC, Bigs, SEC, ACC)
G5= Group of the next best 5 conferences (MWC, American, MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt)

I think most CSU fans, at least those being honest, never thought Sparkles would stay forever. I think the bitterness you see on Ramnation is coming from most the notion that most thought he would turn down lower tier P5 jobs (like Kansas), if offered, and wait until a major P5 program came after him to say yes. Except no one really thought a major P5 program like Florida would coming knocking so soon. I'm not bitter, but I thought it would take another season or two of success to generate that sort of interest. This is all happening sooner than anyone could have realistically predicted.

If it wasn't for the "Bama connection", Sparkles wouldn't be on anybody's list. He and his staff have won exactly two games against teams with winning records and got blown out against their chief MWC rival (BSU) early in that team's" transition-to-a-new-HC" year. He hasn't shown any great recruiting acumen in his time at Ft Fun, most of his players were Fairchild recruits, with Dee Hart being a luck-out transfer, if his rehabbed knee failed, this season would have cratered for Sparkles.

When your "signature win"(Wazzu) occurs because the opponent's coach (WSU's Pirate) fails to use the "victory formation", while clearly in control at the end of the game, you know something is really sketchy about your record.

But, hey! Now they can move Wristen up from Pueblo and...............could do worse!

Right. The buy-out, however it ends up getting negotiated, is a decent parting gift for CSU and should be how CSU conducts themselves as long as they are in the MWC (I'm not implying a move to another conference is pending, but it's clear, if it wasn't already, that CSU needs to do everything in their very limited power to get the hell out/be attractive). Get the next up and coming head coaching prospect, pay him well, and have him agree to a sizable buy-out. If he succeeds and leaves then CSU has the cash, publicity, and program to keep the cycle going. This is small sample size proof that if you come to CSU and do well you could end up being the next coach at Florida (meaning most any P5 school). Using that line as a selling point 3 years ago would have made everyone laugh, now it's a fact. This is an attractive job for someone on that path.

So you think sparkles is going to fail at Florida and within 3 years. Interesting.

Dangerous game. That buyout was ballsy... if the coach flops, then you tie the hands for a school like CSU buying him out and moving on.

Dangerous game. That buyout was ballsy... if the coach flops, then you tie the hands for a school like CSU buying him out and moving on.
the 7.5 million buy out is for Jim McElwain to pay if he leaves, not for CSU to pay if they had fired him. Whatever CSU would have to pay if they had fired him, it would have been a separately negotiated amount based on how many years are left on his contract and how much of his salary is guaranteed.

there were several reports late last night that the buyout was not going to get negotiated down and they were going to receive it in full

The timing of the deal sucks for them, but I'm certain that they knew this day was coming.

Tony Frank has a lot of work to do, and he needs to do it quick. I really don't think he wants to hire a football coach before he hires an athletic director. While it seems to have worked out for us, it's generally not a good idea.

If I was Frank, I'd do everything I could to get every penny of that buyout. They'll need it for their next coach. Figure that whoever they hire will have his own buyout that they'll have to pay. The trip to the swamp is insulting, frankly.

there were several reports late last night that the buyout was not going to get negotiated down and they were going to receive it in full

There were also reports last night that TF and JM verbally agreed that the departure fee would be significantly reduced or possibly even waived in the event of JM being offered a "dream job"

This is going to get messy for UF and CSU. Other rumors coming out that Nebraska and Mich are sniffing around giving TF some leverage in the negotiations of the buyout. The damage has really already been done though. They need to get this done quickly.

The trip to the swamp is insulting, frankly.
Seems like the Rams were more than grateful to get a chance to lose at Bama. They will probably view the chance to have Sparkles go easy on them in the Swamp as a major coup. Which perhaps it is, for a MWC team.

Timing is getting interesting. I imagine Florida wants to introduce him today. 11am in Florida right now + 4.5 hour flight. Late night press conference? Or wait til tomorrow

There were also reports last night that TF and JM verbally agreed that the departure fee would be significantly reduced or possibly even waived in the event of JM being offered a "dream job"

This is going to get messy for UF and CSU. Other rumors coming out that Nebraska and Mich are sniffing around giving TF some leverage in the negotiations of the buyout. The damage has really already been done though. They need to get this done quickly.
I don't think this is as big of a deal as it seems. The language in the contract gives CSU the option to lower the buyout in such a situation. It doesn't say they have to. This really doesn't change anything since they had the option to do that all along.

I don't think this is as big of a deal as it seems. The language in the contract gives CSU the option to lower the buyout in such a situation. It doesn't say they have to. This really doesn't change anything since they had the option to do that all along.

The only thing that makes it a piece of the puzzle is the fact that verbal contracts in this state are binding. If he said that he WOULD lower or possibly waive, things get really dicey for TF.

Not sure what is going to happen though. Both sides needs to get this fixed soon though. JM is not coming back to FoCo after this mess.

I really don't get how these buyouts work. Coach Buzz didn't pay his buyout. I don't think Tampa Bay ever saw Jake Plummer's 7 million he owed them when the Broncos traded him.

Maybe these things are settled years later with no media coverage but buyouts seem to be pointless to a point.

I really don't get how these buyouts work. Coach Buzz didn't pay his buyout. I don't think Tampa Bay ever saw a penny of Jake Plummer's buyout.

Maybe these things are settled years later with no media coverage but buyouts seem to be pointless to a point.

Biz paid a chunk of his. Not the whole thing though.

Back