What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

The only thing that makes it a piece of the puzzle is the fact that verbal contracts in this state are binding. If he said that he WOULD lower or possibly waive, things get really dicey for TF.

Not sure what is going to happen though. Both sides needs to get this fixed soon though. JM is not coming back to FoCo after this mess.

Not exactly, s2s

I really don't get how these buyouts work. Coach Buzz didn't pay his buyout. I don't think Tampa Bay ever saw Jake Plummer's 7 million he owed them when the Broncos traded him.

Maybe these things are settled years later with no media coverage but buyouts seem to be pointless to a point.

I was fairly certain we got Bz's buyout. It wasn't anywhere close to $7.5MM, though. I think it was $500,000. I could swear Wake Forest paid that.

the 7.5 million buy out is for Jim McElwain to pay if he leaves, not for CSU to pay if they had fired him. Whatever CSU would have to pay if they had fired him, it would have been a separately negotiated amount based on how many years are left on his contract and how much of his salary is guaranteed.

Didn't realize that. Thanks

B35_oK6CEAAuC4p.jpg:large

:lol:

Not exactly, s2s

well obviously a verbal contract dispute would only come up in court, so it is likely to not be a player in the negotiations. It is just interesting to me in how it could have an impact on the leverage in the negotiations.

Didn't Gary Barnett have a "dream job" clause in his Northwestern contract? His dream job being CU?

well obviously a verbal contract dispute would only come up in court, so it is likely to not be a player in the negotiations. It is just interesting to me in how it could have an impact on the leverage in the negotiations.
uhhh. I'm saying it's more complicated than saying "it's a verbal contract, which is enforceable." Much more complicated. Nonetheless, yes, it could have an impact on the negotiations. There are a LOT of variables to just how much of one. Stupid things like this are how people end up in court though.

uhhh. I'm saying it's more complicated than saying "it's a verbal contract, which is enforceable." Much more complicated. Nonetheless, yes, it could have an impact on the negotiations. There are a LOT of variables to just how much of one. Stupid things like this are how people end up in court though.

TF and HCJM on Wapner?

my work out would be to discount it by a mil in exchange for a game in he swamp for $1 mil.

my work out would be to discount it by a mil in exchange for a game in he swamp for $1 mil.

I think that is probably what they will see. Maybe even a 2 for 1 but the SEC doesn't really like to travel. I also think it will cover some basketball games and some other sports to get the number to where it needs to be.

CSU fans are pissed and surprised that McElwain is leaving them for a premier SEC+national program that has won multiple national titles? REALLY?

Did we receive all of it though? I seem to remember it was a small fraction of what was "owed" to us.

I don't know where to look in order to find out, but my recollection is that we got the whole thing.

In all honesty, I'd rather take the cash if I was CSU. What good does a game in the swamp do them? Why commit to a game like that? Plus, there are a lot of expenses involved in traveling to Gainesville with 60 players, coaches, and equipment. There isn't much upside to that deal, IMO.

In all honesty, I'd rather take the cash if I was CSU. What good does a game in the swamp do them? Why commit to a game like that? Plus, there are a lot of expenses involved in traveling to Gainesville with 60 players, coaches, and equipment. There isn't much upside to that deal, IMO.

same reason we play them at SAF. Exposure, Recruiting, Ticket Sales. They still get their equivalent money, UF just doesn't have to pay them out of pocket.

Right. The buy-out, however it ends up getting negotiated, is a decent parting gift for CSU and should be how CSU conducts themselves as long as they are in the MWC (I'm not implying a move to another conference is pending, but it's clear, if it wasn't already, that CSU needs to do everything in their very limited power to get the hell out/be attractive). Get the next up and coming head coaching prospect, pay him well, and have him agree to a sizable buy-out. If he succeeds and leaves then CSU has the cash, publicity, and program to keep the cycle going. This is small sample size proof that if you come to CSU and do well you could end up being the next coach at Florida (meaning most any P5 school). Using that line as a selling point 3 years ago would have made everyone laugh, now it's a fact. This is an attractive job for someone on that path.

So CSU must follow in the footsteps of Central Michigan and University of Cincinnati producing Brian Kelly and Butch Jones. The is CSU more like CM of UC, are they the feeder school (UC) or the feeder school to the feeder school (CM). Best case is to be the middle like UC, meaning the gamble to hire a less coveted coach paid off.

Troof. It took three, maybe four years for Tad to earn as much as Bzdelik did. We made out like bandits on that deal. Dumped a huge contract, got paid handsomely for it, and hired a coach who was 100X the guy we just lost.

Thanks Bohn.

(Just had to add that in there).

same reason we play them at SAF. Exposure, Recruiting, Ticket Sales. They still get their equivalent money, UF just doesn't have to pay them out of pocket.

Even assuming a sell-out of Hughes (which would be far from a guarantee based on past history) CSU would make a lot more money traveling to Florida for a road game. Yes there are travel cost, but those happen for one team either way, those are part of the game contract.

Beyond that a game at Florida will usually draw close to 90,000 fans, with an average ticket price well above the average price at Hughes.

Florida can afford to pay CSU well above what CSU would make from a home game and still make more money that they could make playing at CSU.

For a program with limited revenue sources every extra $100,000 makes a difference and going to UF would be multiples of those $100,000.

SIAP, but just looking at CSU results over the last couple of years. Sparkles best win in his tenure there is over 9-4 Utah State this year (or maybe BC, who ended up 7-5). That was a 16-13 squeaker at home against a team that was on their 3rd QB. I would hate this hire if I were Florida. They are a top 5 job, and this is what they got...

SIAP, but just looking at CSU results over the last couple of years. Sparkles best win in his tenure there is over 9-4 Utah State this year (or maybe BC, who ended up 7-5). That was a 16-13 squeaker at home against a team that was on their 3rd QB. I would hate this hire if I were Florida. They are a top 5 job, and this is what they got...

It seems to me that they are in too big a hurry to properly evaluate his CV. He may turn out to be a good fit for UF, but it is certainly a gamble.

No way Florida is a "top 5" job.

If that was the case, Ron Zook, Will Muschamp, Urban Meyer and McElwain would never have been candidates.

It is a very nice football program - but in the SEC alone there are probably 5 jobs that are better.

It seems to me that they are in too big a hurry to properly evaluate his CV. He may turn out to be a good fit for UF, but it is certainly a gamble.

I don't know, if Florida hired him after being the OC at Alabama where he had won two national titles it would look like a decent hire, but on top of that he won 10 games at f**king CSU amid a turnover at AD. Seems like a damn good hire to me.

Back