What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Goodbye MWC, Conference USA: New Conference Emerging

It will allow them to consolidate TV rights and Bowl bids. I suggest that NBC Sports is behind this move. They already own the .mtn network and the Conference USA rights are up in 2016 from FSN and CBS College Sports. It won't be big money for the schools, but it will be better than they can get on their own since both conferences have lost their "top dogs" for TV ratings over the past two years.

I thought the Molehill Network was going to be shut down in the next few months?

I love all the CSU slams...but too much attention & time is wasted on those junkies from up north.

To be honest, the MWC did very well as a conference given their limited budgets compared to the Pac-10 and Big 12 at the time. I believe the smart thing to do is to focus on basketball since the football gap between the Pac-12 and MWC schools will become too great for the MWC schools to overcome for many years.

I think the "association" is partly because it will mostly cover football, and the other sports are probably fine as separate conferences (especially for travel costs).

It will allow them to consolidate TV rights and Bowl bids. I suggest that NBC Sports is behind this move. They already own the .mtn network and the Conference USA rights are up in 2016 from FSN and CBS College Sports. It won't be big money for the schools, but it will be better than they can get on their own since both conferences have lost their "top dogs" for TV ratings over the past two years.

Fresno, East Carolina, Air Force, Hawaii, Southern Miss, and Tulsa will make the top end of the conference look decent, with any team going undefeated still possibly being a "BCS buster" if that format still exists in the future.

I would bet that the divisional format will mirror the current conference alignment with maybe 1 cross-divisional game scheduled per team per season, and a conference championship game hosted in JerryWorld for the two division champs.

I don't think this really adds to the travel budget than what most of these teams were going to be facing anyway. Hawaii is not going to be playing multiple games in the eastern time zone each year.

In basketball these leagues needed to consolidate after losing some of their upper tier as well. If they also consolidate the hoops then they can look to retain higher RPI and more tourney bids each season (which means more $).

Utah State and Louisiana Tech are probably hoping to jump ship into this league rather than face complete obscurity in the WAC.

Maybe the SunBelt and WAC will be next to announce a merger or association to stabilize their membership.

:rofl:

There must be some promise of additional cash from the networks for this "merger" to happen. Otherwise it just makes no sense.

I love all the CSU slams...but too much attention & time is wasted on those junkies from up north.

To be honest, the MWC did very well as a conference given their limited budgets compared to the Pac-10 and Big 12 at the time. I believe the smart thing to do is to focus on basketball since the football gap between the Pac-12 and MWC schools will become too great for the MWC schools to overcome for many years.

You should probably just stay away from these conference threads.

I'm still having trouble understanding why there was no language in the CU/CSU contract allowing for renegotiation or cancellation upon a conference change/restructuring event. What a monumentally horrible contract.

I'm still having trouble understanding why there was no language in the CU/CSU contract allowing for renegotiation or cancellation upon a conference change/restructuring event. What a monumentally horrible contract.
Uh, Mike Bohn negotiated it...any more questions?

I wonder how AF feels. They were loyal to the MWC when they had the chance to jump now this just looks like a mess.

I wonder how AF feels. They were loyal to the MWC when they had the chance to jump now this just looks like a mess.

they can probably jump at any point they want, so why not just wait around and see how things shake out?

Obviously a bad move. But, I'm not sure any of these teams could have done any better.

Funny thing is that the conference will surely get a fatter TV deal than what they are currently getting with both of the conferences, but with all the mouths to feed and more travel costs, I am betting the income will basically be about the same as it is now. I don't think the major networks really care about non BCS college sports when the BCS conferences are all set up.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that the conference will surely get a fatter TV deal than what they are currently getting with both of the conferences, but with all the mouths to feed and more travel costs, I am betting the income will basically be about the same as it is now. I don't think the major networks really care about non BCS college sports when the BCS conferences are all set up.

This is the issue that they have to deal with. The problem is that even if their income jumps substantially they are falling behind. If the MWC school were to triple their media revenue that would still only come out to about $4.5-6 million per school, much less than the increase per school in the recent contracts with the major conferences. When the SEC, the Big 10, the PAC, are looking at a realistic total payout of over $30 million per school, the ACC and the Big XII being $20 million+ it will become increasingly hard for the schools outside the loop to compete both on and off the field. This doesn't even count the rest of the revenue sources like ticket sales, local sponsorships, and donations which are also substantially higher for the major conference schools.

The gulf between the haves and the have nots is getting wider. That's a trend I expect to continue. This move is a desperation move to remain relevant on the national stage. I don't really see it working, but they have to try.

come on now, NDSU wanted no part of that mess. We'll keep winning championships in, gasp, Playoffs. Crazy concept I realize to actually determine a champ by playing it on the field. Although the Motorcity For Hunger.com Bowl would be fun. Come on up to Ft Collins this fall and watch the NDSU Bison tear up the Lammies, I'm positive some tickets will be available.

Back