What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Goodman: Buffs for Life Need to get a Clue

Young teams, make mistakes. Every coach makes bad decisions. 2 years is a small sample size for me to make any reasonable objective decision on Embo. The change is made, I will support the next coach.

2 years is enough time to judge a coach. By the end of two years it's obvious which direction that coach is headed. There are outliers, but 2 years is break point for 95% of coaches.

As for youth, if you want to factor in a young team this year, you have to hold him accountable of a disaster of a first year with 28 seniors.

bigbang2, this isn't about Embree. This is about the B4L radio guy's agenda against Mike Bohn which seems to me of more importance to them than to get behind the new coach. This is about moving forward.

I agree with the B4L guy's. I want Bohn fired also.

BB2 has the most amazing argument survival tactic. Every time someone rebuts his argument, he pretends you are talking about something else.

You and B4L want revenge. The rest of us just want to win.
Some of the B4L guys remind me of this clip, just put the B4L lynch mob in for Khan, and Bohn as Capt. Kirk.[video=youtube;xrUEjpHbUMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrUEjpHbUMM[/video]

I think one thing everyone is over looking is the fact it all came down to money. I thought Embree bleed for that team and I respect his effort, but it was not enough. Bohn was in the process of trying to upgrade the facilities right before last season when he announced that big facilities transformation project, which needed alot of donations. When the season started those donations did not come in which would stick us in neutral to upgrade. I believe this firing was partly forced by the hands of donors big and small not will to donate to a team and department not performing on the football field. Right after Embree was fired, the department received almost a million dollars in donations within the first 3 days. And now we are ready to announce all of those renovations with the right donations for a down payment. Its the harsh truth, but the bottom line is the almighty dollar. To get that almighty dollar you need wins

I have had enough of that fkn broken record that is BB. I actually agree w/ Tini that it is offensive to compare Tini to BB. BB is just being an obnoxious bore. Neg. rep.

Embree was fired for cause, not because he is black and he wasn't fired too soon to know if he could turn this ship around. He proved he was incapable of turning the ship around. The stats prove it, the performance on the field prove it and the fact that we became a laughingstock of college football show that he was not leading us back to respectability.

I happen to be a supporter of Bohn although I don't agree with everything he has done including in this job search. But the overhwelming majority of ABers, who represent the educated CU football fan better than anyone, was that Embree had to go.

If this hire does not work out, than it is all on Bohn and I will join the calls for firing Bohn. But if this year we see improvement on the field, not necessarily tons of wins, but that we put a competitive product on the field and that product improves over the year, than Mac will deserve another year to prove he is the man to do this.

If 2014 it is more improvement and improvements in W/Ls even better, and if within a few years we are going to a bowl, Bohn will be vindicated on the football front (at least in my eyes).

Until then, STFU about Bohn being fired b/c it's not happening soon.

Funny. I was picturing Uma Thurman from Kill Bill.

Kill-bill-uma-car.jpg

I think Embo should've been fired. We were worse than terrible. He did not get it done. He sucked.

On the same token, Bohn has been given a very unique pass with the opportunity to hire three football coaches. Even though there was great outside pressure for the second hire, his name is still on the hire. That's part of the job. Political forces will try to influence you to get "their guy". It doesn't matter if you were all-in with the hire or not; the AD's #1 priority (at this level) is to ensure the vibrance of his school's football team. If the football team is worse than terrible, the AD must be accountable too -- even if that means answering criticism about the team.

Should the radio personalities who want Bohn fired give up? No they shouldn't if their audience continues to patronize their ad buyers' businesses. Threads like this one only reinforce what they do because it stokes the flames. They don't need you to agree with them; they only need you to talk about them.

Bottom line is that Bohn shouldn't get a free pass, especially since two of his hires have been dreadful. You may disagree with how the B4L is crowd are expressing their frustration. That doesn't change the responsibility that this AD has in CU's football failings.

I think Embo should've been fired. We were worse than terrible. He did not get it done. He sucked.

I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but since most of you don't live in Eugene, I wanted to pass on what I heard on the radio this week on the local Duck radio program.

The male/female host team were giving their impression of the new CU coaching hire (they have a lot of time to fill on that show!) and the female made an interesting comment. She said that she was on the field at Autzen before the game between the Ducks and Buffs this year. She commented that she was there with a couple of NFL guys (I assume they were ex-ducks...but I don't recall her saying) and they were talking about how screwed up and disorganized our pre-game regimen was. She said they just kept shaking their heads and commenting on how we (the Buffs) seems to be a mess, and that our warm-ups and such made this obvious.

Now, I am not expert on what we SHOULD be doing...or what denotes a good versus bad pre-game set of rituals/warm-ups/practicing, but I thought it interesting that she would throw that out there. It was obvious it was a slam on the previous coaching staff for "not knowing what they were doing" or how to properly run things.

As I said: anecdotal. Take it for what it's worth. Her name is Jill Savage(sp?) and it was on KUJZ-FM either 2 or 3 days ago.

Last edited:
I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but since most of you don't live in Eugene, I wanted to pass on what I heard on the radio this week on the local Duck radio program.

The male/female host team were giving their impression of the new CU coaching hire (they have a lot of time to fill on that show!) and the female made an interesting comment. She said that she was on the field at Autzen before the game between the Ducks and Buffs this year. She commented that she was there with a couple of NFL guys (I assume they were ex-ducks...but I don't recall her saying) and they were talking about how screwed up and disorganized our pre-game regimen was. She said they just kept shaking their heads and commenting on how we (the Buffs) seems to be a mess, and that our warm-ups and such made this obvious.

Now, I am not expert on what we SHOULD be doing...or what denotes a good versus bad pre-game set of rituals/warm-ups/practicing, but I thought it interesting that she would throw that out there. It was obvious it was a slam on the previous coaching staff for "not knowing what they were doing" or how to properly run things.

As I said: anecdotal. Take it for what it's worth. Her name is Jill Savage(sp?) and it was on KUJZ-FM either 2 or 3 days ago.
You know the drill. pics or GTFO

I really enjoyed this thread. It is obvious that many posters here refuse to put BB2 on ignore.

Think it is anything similar to the response to sniff when you hear, "This stinks...here smell"

and look when you hear, "OMG, she is ugly... don't look"

Young teams, make mistakes. Every coach makes bad decisions. 2 years is a small sample size for me to make any reasonable objective decision on Embo. The change is made, I will support the next coach.

2-3 games is a SMALL sample size to critique a coach, but eleven unwatchable disasters is not. $2.5 million in lost revenue with the likelihood of doubling that, is critique enough.

I watched the scoreboard intros all year recognizing that FR were placed against Srs on a regular basis, but I saw neither a single improvement in discipline nor team cohesivenes, nor coaching, that indicated anything would improve next year under JE. My family was seriously considering giving up tix held for 40 years if Embo was to continue as HC. We saw a lot in those years, including losses to Drake, 84 given up to OU and the initial 1AA loss to Montana ST. , but nothing half as poor as the efforts of this past year. There was no plan, and no clue, even, from this staff. Only sideline rages, goofy claims "and stuff", all to no avail on the field.

Now, there's some hope CU will emerge from this cloud with MikeMac in charge. He seems a man with a plan.

Embree? I'll buy him a dog, name him "Clue" and then he'll have one!

I really enjoyed this thread. It is obvious that many posters here refuse to put BB2 on ignore.

Think it is anything similar to the response to sniff when you hear, "This stinks...here smell"

Didn't even know you could ignore users. Thanks for the tip BB is officially ignored. You are right he hijacked the thread and ruined our joy in someone finally fighting back the B4L crowd.

Think it is anything similar to the response to sniff when you hear, "Here, smell my finger."

fify

I fully endorse this article. Glad someone in the local media addressed the elephant in the room.

Don't forget to add being forced to play freshmen against mostly juniors and seniors on other teams. But heck it is only objective thinking, if i only consider the facts that you agree to. Embo had a tough job, even Nick Saban would have struggled in the same environment.

The point is..those freshmen looked worse at the end of the year than they did at the start. It looked like they coached them down, not up. I understood losses to top teams. I didn't understand looking like a high school jv squad against Fresno State and Sac State. Given enough resources and time, JE could have turned it around. But...would have been at least 5 years to maybe going to a bowl game. Maybe. That's why you learn to be a OC or HC at a lower level. He was not qualified, and it showed.

You talk about youth as the excuse for this year, how many Seniors were on that team that won a grand total of 3 games?

Yeah, but if we waited until we had a senior led team again, we could be back up in the three win catagory again. Can't believe we fired him before the glory days of 3-4 wins returned.

the "Reply With Quote" button kind of renders ignore superfluous.

Back