1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goose & Snow Derail A Thread To Discuss Positional Recruiting

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Recruiting Central' started by Darth Snow, May 4, 2016.

1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

*cough* pianoman *cough* XT.

cu62nu36 likes this.
  2. Zachsquatch

Zachsquatch Active Member

You mean XT who started for the team in the second half of the season? Eli didn't contribute much on the court, but you need the token musician, and he is a Mater Dei alum.

On the topic of this thread, yes please. A big body like DO is game altering, especially if they can create on O.

buffaholic likes this.
  3. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Wouldn't consider XT a miss at all. He's what most thought he would be (note: I was higher on him than most, but smart people thought he'd be what he was).

buffaholic likes this.
  4. Goose

By rough position, here's who Tad has brought in:

Guards:
    * Ski
    * The Mayor
    * Jeremy Adams
    * XT
    * Eli
    * Jenkins
    * J-Hop
    * King
    * Dom
    * Yaz

Wings:
    * Dre
    * XJ
    * Fletch
    * Dustin

Bigs
    * Ben Mills
    * Damiene Cain
    * Jelly
    * Wes
    * Tory
    * Guz

You switch some of the guys a bit (any of the wings could be moved, etc.), but it's a rough breakdown.

Now which group would you say has given us the most success? And which has the most misses? Adams (injuries), Jenkins, Eli, Mills, Cain and Guz are the biggest "misses" IMO. Everyone else was at least a role player for a few years (even guys like JHop and DT we got a good two years out of before they left, so I'm not sure I'd go full blown "miss" on them, but I can see why some would).

Darth Snow likes this.
  5. Darth Snow

Good points Goose, but I think you have to consider XT/Stalzer as a miss, especially since Tad himself considered XT a miss and that is why we have Stalzer.

6. Goose

Maybe. But if so, there are a lot of guys who are misses on there and the only hits would be Spencer, Ski, King, Dre, XJ, Jelly and Wes. And in that case, Tad would be looking for a new job.

7. Darth Snow

I think we can find a happy medium somewhere that doesn't include XT as a hit. If he's a "hit" he's as borderline as they come.

8. Goose

What did you expect out of XT in HS? Honestly. I mean, we're talking about a low 3* kid who ended up starting roughly a full season over his four years here and played in all but one game in his career. We're not talking a rousing success, but for what he was....I'll take it.

JOEinDenver likes this.
  9. Darth Snow

starting pac 12 PG. He wasn't. He was a competent backup for 1.5 seasons.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Since I'd move King to "wing" and also add in the transfers there of Chen, Carlon and Fortune... I'd say that is where Tad does his best recruiting.

Then, I'd say that "big" and "guard" are about equal. So I give the nod to "big" recruiting since that's a hell of a lot harder.

11. Goose

Good call on the transfers. Completely spaced my mind. Although technically I could argue that since Tad listed all of those guys as guards, I should be able to too. (y)

But, because it's harder, wouldn't that further my point? That you'd rather have Tad being able to focus on guard recruits out of HS the next two years instead of bigs?

Buffnik likes this.
  12. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Was this a self-exile? If so, I am impressed. Self-flagellation is so rare in today's modern moderator.

Goose likes this.
  13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This is actually how I'm trying to convince myself that I like this move: "Buffnik, you ignorant slut, consider if you will that Tad can secure a winning front court of vets with this move and then focus on finding freshmen who can contribute right away at G/F where it is much easier to find college-ready 18 year olds."

Goose likes this.
  14. Darth Snow

how often do you call yourself an ignorant slut?

Anyways, it's a great move, trust me.

15. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

If the state of Colorado didn't simultaneously produce two of the best bigs it's produced in decades (Scott & Gordon) during Tad's tenure, this wouldn't even be a discussion. Then throw in that Wes was willing to redshirt. Certainly, you give Tad some credit for getting them here. It's a lot easier to find diamonds in the rough at guard & wing than bigs. Our only top 150 out-of-state bigs (Tory & Siewert) came after several NCAA tourney trips.

This debate will have more substance if/when we grow past "who you can get, not who you want."

Goose and buffaholic like this.
  16. cu62nu36

cu62nu36 Club Member Club Member

Yes, lock down the bigs with a proven 7' talent like DO. The 1 area where teams, outside of the historically elite programs, must take a flyer on is BIG. That's why I give Tad a pass on Ben. That's why I also like him rolling the dice on Dallas. If it pans out you get to realistically compete with the elite.

There are only 3 on the list above that were truly misses(wouldn't have gotten a scholly on any P5 roster let alone a P12 roster) and XT was not one of them as he did eventually provide quality minutes in his Sr. season. Although, it is not ideal to carry a guy for 3 years in the hopes that he'll play as a senior, XT did eventually provide a positive. XT(local kid) was similar to Knutsen(local kid) although Levi had a much better Sr. season.

Tad corrected 2 of the 3 misses rather quickly and only let one become painful.