1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotta love the sheer idiocy of the NCAA especially with Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffedup, Dec 3, 2010.

1. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

His father has even admitted to shopping his son's services for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet the NCAA says Cam is clear because they can't find evidence he had knowledge even though he has said that his father drove his school decision making. Baseball players can sign professional contracts and still play college football. Jeremy Bloom even offers to let the NCAA manage his endorsement accounts so that they can oversee that spending is strictly limited to training related expenses so he can represent our country in the Olympics, but that is considered unacceptable. Absolutely astounding! Spilled milk, I know. Still really bothers me.

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

obviously Jeremy Blooms dad should have shopped his son's ski services around.

3. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Good to know that Reggie Bush should've just played dumb to how his parents got a new house, he would've been fine.

4. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

The NCAA is the most amazing body, makes rules and enforces or ignores them selectively.

The appeal of an NCAA ruling is to the SAME NCAA board that originally ruled on your case. Beautiful.

5. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yep, someone please explain me the difference between the Reggie Bush and Cam Newton cases.

I know this question isn´t going to sit well with some people here, but does anyone have the impression the NCAA does its best to screw over TCU here?

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

7. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

That's exactly what it looks like to me. Enforcing this case against Newton (or how about against Auburn???) is too inconvenient, since it puts TCU into the MNC.

If Ohio State was sitting at #3 in the BCS rankings right now, why do I suspect Auburn might be in more trouble??

8. Jens1893

Texas Christian University Horned Frogs, currently third in the standings of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS). The BCS Rankings determine who gets to play in the BCS National Championship Game. If the University of Auburn Tigers, the team Cameron Newton plays for and that´s currently ranked Number 1 in the BCS Rankings, lose the Southeastern Conference Championship Game against the University of Southern Carolina Gamecocks it´s widely expected that the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs will move up a place and therefore play in the BCS National Championship Game.

:)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Agreed on the TCU thing. They have to be worried about what would happen if TCU were to be in the title game.

How is Auburn getting a pass on all of this? They've been nailed how many times now for violations? Seems pretty obvious that money changed hands somewhere along the way, is it too much to ask that they treat them just like they treated USC?

10. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

You guys really believe that this is a big conspiracy theory? :rolling_eyes:

11. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I want the ncaa to explain a few things -- what impact will this decision have in future years? Does this send a message that high $ boosters, et al, can financially influence college teams by dealing with families and not the recruits (directly)? In years to come, how can the ncaa investigate/levy punishment on any improper benefits cases after this?

12. Jens1893

The one question I´ve been asking myself since this story first broke - How are they going to keep Newton eligible until the NCG? If Auburn sees off South Carolina on Saturday and wins the SEC it´ll be 4 weeks until the NCG. 4 weeks can be a lot of time.

13. buffsblg

buffsblg Member

First and so there is no debate about my position, the NCAA screwed the Newton case up royally. Does any rational person think that the committee would have set speed records on the reinstatement if this was about a linebacker for Northwestern? The special treatment sickens me. It was clearly meant to keep Auburn in the running for the mythical national championship and to heck with the rules. They also set a terrible precedent. What deterrence is there for a family if all they have to do is say "yeah I pimped my kid but he did not know about it" and there is no punishment.

Now to my lawyer point. USC got nailed because the NCAA found that the coaches knew or at least had every reason to know that Bush and his family were getting benefits. It is the dreaded "lack of institutional control" infraction. That is what got USC killed, not just the payoffs. Here Auburn has not yet been shown to have been aware of Newton being shopped to MSU and not been shown to have paid Newton senior to get the kid. Now could all of those things have happened, well of course it is the SEC. But until that is shown, the Bush case is different than this one.

14. BehindEnemyLines

No Credibility At All........meet Mr box......Pandora, that is.

15. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

I can't wait until my nephew is ready to sign a big time FB scholly. I'm going to tell every school interested it will cost $200,000 for a signed LOI. Of course I won't tell him, you know, to protect him. But I'm going to ca$h in baby. Big Time. That's cool with the NCAA right?:rolling_eyes:

16. BehindEnemyLines

It is now. Hope it don't change by time your 'phew grads hs.

17. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Dude took money or somebody close to him did. He wants to forfeit the Heisman 5 years from now, go ahead.

18. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

he knew what his dad was up to, he didnt bitch. his interviews are crap, guarantee you, he knew.

19. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

Looks to me like Auburn has had so much practice at cheating that they have perfected it.

20. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Perhaps it should be entered in the UHC next year? WSP?