1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gouin in trouble

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 3, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_15006292?source=rss#axzz0mso6dFAV

Sheriff: CU football player bought booze for Boulder High campout

A University of Colorado football player has been ticketed on suspicion of buying four kegs of beer for Boulder High's senior class campout last Wednesday, which ended with three students hospitalized for alcohol-related problems and one arrest.

On Friday evening, Boulder County Sheriff's deputies ticketed 21-year-old Brandon Gouin, a former Boulder High quarterback who has a sibling at Boulder High, on suspicion of providing alcohol to an underage person, a misdemeanor offense.

I'm worried this could be mean the end of his CU career. Gouin adds some nice depth at linebacker and really is a good guy.

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

not smart

3. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

Man, one thing I learned was to never buy alcohol for my underage friends (Especially 4 kegs). This easily could've ended much worse.

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

really not smart. 4 kegs is not a 12 pack of Natty....and, if caught, there's dozens of kids who potentially give you up. all it takes is one. and with hospitalizations, you've got parents in the mix.

like my Gus Handler Theory of Crime: there's crime, and there's dumb crime.

5. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I liked this suggestion in the comments of the article: "Brandon, so your brother must have stolen your ID, right? Right?"

6. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

You would think BHS kids could hold their alcohol better. Hospitalized because of beer? That would have never happened at my high school.

7. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

You just wonder how people can be so stupid. No upside and a lot of downside....

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

I would think it is it for him on the football team, but who knows.

9. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Wow, thanks for playing Brandon - hope it was worth it.

10. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I agree they are all pussies, but I'm sure there was some hard liquor involved.

11. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

gawd, it is such a different world. the nanny-state is in full effect... i don't want anyone to get sick from alcohol poisoning and such, but c'mon, you think maybe the lack of access to booze might have something to do with the total over-indulgence when they get it?

back in the stone age, when i was in hs, many of the hs seniors were legal and could buy 3.2 beer. they'd buy kegs every weekend and everyone would head up into the hills and drink around a fire. every weekend. there were some incidents, of course, but not this total "temperance society" level of reaction against booze.

what a world.

12. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Wait, we are losing with guys who are getting in trouble with the law? I thought Hawk was keeping the guys out of trouble?

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

So that's why the BHS football team has been so awful - they're drunk. It all makes perfect sense now.

14. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

what the dumb

15. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Alcohol-related problems doesn't necessarily mean it was alcohol poisoning. Drunk off beer makes you just as stupid as drunk off anything else.

16. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

well, back in the day, the conventional wisdom on that point was a bit different... they used to say that 3.2 passed through you so fast and you needed to drink so much more of it than hard alcohol that the chance of a mean drunk event occurring were somewhat reduced. i dunno. it seemed to be true sorta anecdotally a guess. it was generally the mixing in of whiskey and other hard alcohol that would take people into anohter realm of drunkeness. of course, funnelling 3.2 can get one hammered in a hurry, so maybe the theory doesn't hold... just a side comment, because i've sometimes wondered about the shifting societal values around kids and alcohol.

17. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I'm merely speaking from my experiences, of which there were many.

18. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Wow, and this kid started at AFA. Never would have expected that character would be a concern...

19. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Ummmm, what? Okay.

You know that those guys aren't allowed to make decisions on their own, right? So nobody really knows if they're able to make good ones. Don't get me started on the service academies...

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I looked up his team photo. This incident shouldn't have been a surprise.

[​IMG]

21. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

mmm - im going to watch that movie tonight...

alright, alright, alright

22. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Too bad. I know some could make the DH does things the right way smartass remark here (oops, I just did), but this could have happened to any HC. I guess you only get hung out to dry if your last name starts with Barne..... Can we now get MB and the other two guys on the planet who wanted to keep Hawk, (whoops make that three, I forgot DBT), to stop telling us how great a job DH is doing off the field? We already know about the on field "results".

23. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

BTW, how was the party?

24. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

You need to go back and look at my record. I never said I "wanted to keep him." Just that we should support him if they did. Bid difference.

Anyway, this isn't about that. Its about the kid. I feel badly for him. There are a lot of 21 year old kids that would have made the same mistake. I hope Hawkins sticks by him.

25. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

C'mon DBT, it was largely tongue in cheek amigo. And I too, think it is too bad. Poor judgment by a young man. God knows if half the stuff I did between 18-25 hit the light of day, I'd be in deep **** too.

26. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Perhaps it's bad form to bring this up, but if he gets the boot does that count against us on grad rates for NCAA compliance? Does scholly vs. non-scholly athlete make a difference when the NCAA looks at our grad rates?

27. seeyou

seeyou Member

Don't you mean thanks for PAYING!!!

28. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Since he's a non-scholarship player, it doesn't impact any of the Academic Progress Report stuff. Just as walk ons can't help us with team GPA, they can't hurt us either.

29. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Guessing here, but an educated guess. Whether or not he plays football, he would not have to quit school for this infraction (most likely.) I imagine some alcohol education classes, some community service time, etc., any number of things but not kicked out of school, especially if this is the first knuckleheaded thing he did wrong, or first big thing he did wrong and got caught.
    I could be wrong. But I bet and I hope so, that he still graduates from CU. So that should not count against grad rates. A player who leaves the program in good standing doesn't affect the NCAA stuff. And we are in finals now, so he would not have his year yanked from him, he should finish out grade-wise.

30. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

blame it on the nanny state....ironic reversal of the scapegoat mechanism. when we could hold our liquor back when Saint Reagan was Prez (Utopia=MTV) and all the so-called rock music was great. like Poison. those guys were hot. i mean, sucked. 3.2 beer, is the argument that has NOTHING to do with the kids in question but an author opinion.

the kid ****ed up the rules, it's not the nanny state.....it's just you don't buy 4 kegs beer for high school students and expect nothing to happen.

Last edited: May 4, 2010