What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 2016 Recruiting Class

What is the grade of this class

• A

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • B

Votes: 92 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 76 42.5%
  • D

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
the ****?

What you said could be taken in two ways.

Way 1: The "handicapping" of students is sad and an indictment of the educational system. (I disagree)

Way 2: "Handicapping" the Buffs is sad. We should be on a more level playing field and the team's diminished status shouldn't have to play into how we feel about their classes. (I agree)

What you said could be taken in two ways.

Way 1: The "handicapping" of students is sad and an indictment of the educational system. (I disagree)

Way 2: "Handicapping" the Buffs is sad. We should be on a more level playing field and the team's diminished status shouldn't have to play into how we feel about their classes. (I agree)
context matters here. Where are we?

I voted C, which is an improvement from the recent past. It also looks like a low A may be possible next year - something I would not have said 6 weeks ago.

Compared to previous years, I'd give it a B+...but in comparison to the PAC12 and P5 conferences, it's pretty average IMO...C-.

The staff filled in the right position groups IMO...WR, LB, OL. A solid DL kid would've been nice.

Webb will make an immediate impact and if is as good as we'd like to think, could be the difference in close losses turning into close wins.

I take the lack of D-line and O-line recruits as a vote of confidence by the coaches for the young guys coming up. Tonz, Tuiloma, Lopez and Umu on D and Kaiser, Middlemiss, Miller and Lynott on O. Except for Lopez, those guys are all redshirt freshmen.

We'll load up on O-line and D-line studs next year. In case you doubt that, check out the futures sections. We have offered a ton of linemen, mostly huge Texans.

FIFY

B-, only after some minor miracles at the end. Good enough to get immediate help at skill positions which should get us to 6 wins next year.

If Mac doesn't hire Chev, this class probably finishes in the 70s or 80s, and we have no Webb or Winfree. Mac may have saved his job with the hire.
Seriously...troof.

I'm excited to see what the whole year with Chev on board will do for recruiting. He seemed to make some of the other assistant coaches more confident and aggressive too. I like that. Already paid big dividends for CU. And best part is we don't have to worry that Chev wants to get off to greener pastures. Maybe to get a full OC job and eventual HC job for experience he might, but outside of that he hopefully will be here at CU for a long time.

B

We picked up a QB who can start immediately next year.
We picked up a LB who can fill a big need for us next year.
Upgraded athleticism and speed.
Brought in a replacement for Nelson.
Added a Top 250 player and blue chip RB.
Filled the LB pipeline so we don't have the issue we had this year in the future..

The only reason I didn't go higher than a B was that the O-line wasn't really addressed with a JUCO transfer who could help immediately. Also, I'm not sure why, but I believe we will look back on Patrick Taylor Jr. and kick ourselves.

C.

Missed on the biggest need, OL. Continue to take long term projects. Heading into year 4, this staff appears to be ready to field a starting OL that has no one they have recruited/developed. That is disconcerting. OL is hard to project, but you are far better off with highly regarded guys than projects for a number of reasons. UCLA, for instance, had 3 or 4 RS Fr. on the OL in Mora's first year and they did quite well. Those guys weren't projects. CU has had guys play early, and well, on the OL (Hage, Daniels, Miller, Maiava) so it isn't like it is unheard of. CU needs to step up the OL play to be the kind of team I think they can be. Maybe we'll all be surprised come fall.

That aside, I am pleased that LB, DB, WR, RB and QB, all critical needs, except RB, landing big time players.

I say C because if these kind of classes are the norm CU should be right in the middle of the pack in the P12. That is a huge improvement, hats off to the staff and looking forward to next year.

I give it a 'C'. Much like many of you, I suspect, I would have gone with an 'F' about two weeks ago. It appears that there is actually some upside on the staff with respect to recruiting, and perhaps maybe even some positive momentum for the program as a whole.

Best case scenario is that we have a good year next year and sign some difference makers in the large 2017 class. Particularly on offense.

OL recruiting is not up to par.

Based on where we have been it's a B, if next years class is similar it becomes a C- due to some guys who shouldn't be included in a PAC12 recruiting class.

Loved to closing push, but gave it a C due to too many guys that seem to be reaches. However, it looked to be a F class two months ago, so huge move was made. I'd say a solid B if they had pulled Watts, Salmenga (Yeah, I know that's not the right spelling) and the DB that went to UA.

Maybe a bit hash as if I count the immediate help from the JUCO additions at WR and LB, plus grad QB Webb, I can see it being a B score. Those are HUGE for wins next year IMO and with wins recruiting should be even better next year. I...I am ready for fall ball. Screw summer!!

C. I'm concerned about QB. Webb is a great get, but after this year, it seems it's Montez or nothing.

Much better than where we were a few weeks ago though!

B due to closing. It was a D a month ago when Watts decommitted. The late charge was huge. Need to get better at OL and other areas recruiting wise.

A year ago we were debating the merits of Brent Tonz and Nate Tuiloma - guys who had zero P5 offers. While there were a few reaches in this class, there was nothing like that.

A year ago we were debating the merits of Brent Tonz and Nate Tuiloma - guys who had zero P5 offers. While there were a few reaches in this class, there was nothing like that.

I think you could say the OL recruits in this class were similar to Tonz and Tuiloma.

Went with a B.

I think the addition of 3 big WR's and 1 HUGE RB STEAL are enough for that alone.
In two seasons we will see how big the additions on the line will be, and I'm now optimistic that we
are starting to see the beginning of something in Boulder.

If we can win a few more games next season, better recruits will start to come this way.
This is how it has to start!

I love the addition at QB as well....ready to win NOW!

Went with a C

Massive improvement from about a month ago which was a solid F. I think buffnut is correct in that Mac may have saved his job with the Chev hire. Webb + Winfree + Lewis gives us for sure 3 legit starters next year.

Excited about the future too. Unfortunately we have Bernardi and Jeffcoat on staff still, but this staff might actually be able to recruit with our peers. Hoping the era of reaches and unnecessary early takes is long gone.

B+.
A's for addressing what is needed NOW to win NOW.
QB and WR on the offensive side. 5 WRs is addressing the here, now and future.
LB on the defensive side.

And I like the Ento pickup. Going against the grain on that. I'll post in his thread.

C. We finished last or close to last, depending on how you look at it, in the Pac. That has to change. But, given where we were even a week ago, I'm pretty ecstatic. About as good a "C" as you can get. I'd say more a C+.

Last edited:
I take the lack of D-line and O-line recruits as a vote of confidence by the coaches for the young guys coming up. Tonz, Tuiloma, Lopez and Umu on D and Kaiser, Middlemiss and Lynott on O. Except for Lopez, those guys are all redshirt freshmen.

We'll load up on O-line and D-line studs next year. In case you doubt that, check out the futures sections. We have offered a ton of linemen, mostly huge Texans.

As a guy who doesn't follow recruiting nearly as closely as most on here, I hope you're right. Because the lack of line recruits immediately concerned me. Doesn't matter how good your skill guys are, if you can't protect your QB or pressure the opposing QB. Let's hope we get to a bowl this year with the (average at best) lines we have, and then hopefully some of those "big Texans" will commit.

We graduated 1 OL (Nembot) & 2 DLs (Solis & Norgard).

There's only so much room under the 85. Bennion's already here & Tupou's expected back on the roster this summer.

Solid C

2 Better late than nevers. 2 Baby steps. 1 okey dokie, 0 doing things better than everyone else.

- Use of social media. Seeing the impact of Chiv on Adams and watching Leavitt work Twitter is an upgrade. Being more social media savvy allows CU to close gap with pioneers. Better late than never.

- P5 offers. It was a whole lot of fun winning Beau Bisharat over p12 rival Cal and traditional rival Nebraska, and there was even a little Alabama and Stanford elements to spice this up. These type of battles shouldn't feel so novel. CU should be winning this kind of battle with these kind of schools for multiple positions. Nice to see the tides turn.

JVs and Transfers. - Urgency is apparent. This coaching staff is recruiting to win now. I'd have liked to see this urgency two years ago. Better late than never.

Filling positions of need. Skills positions - Yes. Lines - addressed with adequacy. Okie Dokie -accomplished mostly what was expected/needed, but not above and beyond.

Ranking against peers - still bottom half of the conference, but improving over prior years. Baby steps.

Back