What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Great new article on Denver post.

I should also add that if it is true what Embree says about Bohn continually telling him (right up to the end) that "we are in this for the long haul" etc. (concerning the A.D.s backing of the coach long term) then I find that troubling...and it helps explain another reason Embree might feel so betrayed. But, again, if true, this is more an example of slimy executive management behavior (not uncommon at all by the way) than racism. Also if true, it makes Bohn even less of the sort of character I want representing CU (but at the moment these are nothing but allegations by a disgruntled employee. Nothing has been confirmed or substantiated).

Really? Because never before has a head football coach come out and told his athletic director and his players that he isn't leaving - only to leave 24 hours later?

College football and big time sports IS slimey. That is the nature of the beast.

Absolutely agree. "Slimy" behavior can come from any quarter.:huh:

I'm not sure it's the "nature of the beast" (I see lots of honorable people in the profession)...but I wouldn't argue that it's not common.

(sorry...should have used a quote in this reply...it's obviously in response to Lt. Col Slade's post above)

So if Bohn had been fired along with Embree we wouldn't have any of these charges of racism? Interesting. Maybe your right (but if so...perhaps that raises other questions).

It's hard to make a judgement on the Bohn thing due to the uncertainly over things like the rumors he wanted to fire Hawkins earlier...or the Buffs4life stuff (concerning the alleged demand that a CU family member be hired, etc.). It's hard to decide how much of a free hand he had in the decisions that upset us so that he's made. Surely this is his last chance though.

If, however, he didn't want Hawkins to get his last year...and never wanted to hire Embree to begin with...should his head roll because those things occurred? (again...I have no knowledge over the truth of such things...just repeating what's been said here and elsewhere).

Surely many would have been less than satisfied if Bohn was fired, but Embree left as coach, right? What would the likelihood be that a new AD would have kept Jon?

I am not a Bohn supporter. I do find it interesting that you are suggesting that the racism charges might not be as big a deal if Bohn were dumped too. I don't know what I think about that...but I find the concept interesting.

Absolutely. It wouldn't have made sense to fire Bohn and retain Embree. I also don't know how folks would have responded if Bohn had also been fired--it's pure speculation. But I strongly suspect that the reaction would have been muted. In other words, Embree supporters likely still would have been upset, but I think a lot of them feel more strongly about it because Bohn is given more time while Embree is not.

The article sucks. Instead of making it about football Frei chose to make it about race.

The truth is very simple and everyone can see why Embree was fired;

• We had probably the statistically worst team in all of Div 1
  • Certianly the worst among BCS schools
  • We won one game by one point against the 2nd worst team in the conference
  • We were blown out 8 times out of 12
  • We called a QB sneak on a first down
  • We failed to get a play in during a substitution
  • We failed to start what was probably the best QB on the team
  • We attempted install 2-3 different offenses
  • Our OL could not block
  • I am not aware of a single defensive forced turnover
  • The team failed to appear to make any progress
  • Recruiting, which was sub par this year, was suffering from the play on the field
  • Our coach refused to shake up his staff in order to keep his job

End of story

You can say what you want but a new coach really needs to come in have as strong a class as possible in his first year and then a stellar class in his 2nd year in order to build a foundation for year three. Embree did not have a top 25 class like Hawkins did. I wish JE had figured it out but in the end he was just too far in the weeds right from day one to 1. rebuild and 2. put a winner on the field. Things might have been different if walked into the USC or OSU job or something.

Terry another guy that not afraid to give his opinion, brilliant article.

I agree it is an opinion but I do not see it as brilliant.

28 seniors graduated but Embo, as he calls him, did nothing with those 28 seniors as a coach in his first year.

Facilities cost money and the question should be asked if the product on the field affected the donations so that they could not be announced as long as Embo was still coach. We just do not know and that is why it is an opinion but without the answers I do not see the brilliance.

If you can decipher the language bigbang's posts are written in, you must remember the opposite of what he says is the truth.

The article sucks. Instead of making it about football Frei chose to make it about race.

The truth is very simple and everyone can see why Embree was fired;

• We had probably the statistically worst team in all of Div 1
  • Certianly the worst among BCS schools
  • We won one game by one point against the 2nd worst team in the conference
  • We were blown out 8 times out of 12
  • We called a QB sneak on a first down
  • We failed to get a play in during a substitution
  • We failed to start what was probably the best QB on the team
  • We attempted install 2-3 different offenses
  • Our OL could not block
  • I am not aware of a single defensive forced turnover
  • The team failed to appear to make any progress
  • Recruiting, which was sub par this year, was suffering from the play on the field
  • Our coach refused to shake up his staff in order to keep his job

End of story

You can say what you want but a new coach really needs to come in have as strong a class as possible in his first year and then a stellar class in his 2nd year in order to build a foundation for year three. Embree did not have a top 25 class like Hawkins did. I wish JE had figured it out but in the end he was just too far in the weeds right from day one to 1. rebuild and 2. put a winner on the field. Things might have been different if walked into the USC or OSU job or something.

Where in the article does he say Embree was fired because of his race? He's making a broader point. The point is that too often people's immediate response to claims of racial discrimination is that someone is playing the "race card." Embree certainly isn't helping matters by claiming racism when the team was awful under his watch, but the broader point imho is valid.

I agree. To think that racism has simply evaporated is silly. It's equally true that Embree being fired isn't based on race. The only wrinkle I would add to what you've said is that the fact that Bohn is given more time is a big factor here. I suspect that a lot of Embree's supporters wouldn't be as upset if Bohn had been fired as well. The fact that Bohn, who has overseen 7 of the worst years in recent CU football history, is given more time while Embree was only given two years is a significant factor.

I suspect Bobbed case to Benson and DiStephano goes like this.

"Don't fire me. I was right when I didn't want him in the first place. You made the choice, fire yourselves."

Suddenly Bohn gets one last chance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

And weren't we sold on JE and EB and Tui as killer recruiters? Top 10 classes would fall our way with these guys at the helm?

Recruiting....from what we were told would happen, sucked eggs too.

CU took a chance. Embree showed zero progress on the field.....if it was working, why was he going to fire Brown and chafed offenses yet once again?

Fact. CU was a laughingstock of college football and JE put it there. Only one who got better was Kasa. Maybe Kasa had a good TE coach. Maybe being a good TE coach does not mean you are instantly a good HC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Where in the article does he say Embree was fired because of his race? He's making a broader point. The point is that too often people's immediate response to claims of racial discrimination is that someone is playing the "race card." Embree certainly isn't helping matters by claiming racism when the team was awful under his watch, but the broader point imho is valid.

I hate the race card when I see it played. I hate seeing it written about because it validates its continued existence, legitimizes it, and continues to divide us. Playing the race card in this day and age is very selfish and denigrating. Especially without evidence

Embree makes himself look very petty in all this by playing it.

CU is not a racist institution. Embree was not fired because Bohn, Benson, and DiStefano hate blacks. Embree was fired because his team was awful. Contributing to his demise was the rumored refusal to make any changes to the offensive coaching staff. Insubordination is still insubordination. At the end of the day CU reached, stretched, and hired a career position coach who was an alum and happened to be black. And it wasnt working out.

Everybody knows why the race card was played. My response is quit being a bitch Embree. You were terrible period, have some accountability.

Well Bohn obviously just figured out that Embree was black and fired him. I can see him wiping the sweat from his brow with a hankerchief, whistling and slapping his knee "Woo-whee! That was a close one!"

Last edited:
Back