1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great read on the meltdown that is Texas Athletics

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by EddieCrowder, Sep 18, 2013.

1. EddieCrowder

EddieCrowder Club Member Club Member

Interesting take, but I does confirm what most of us already know. Scroll down to the actual list and there is a very good explanation of why not only Football but UT Athletics in general is doomed. http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/archives/19588

2. EddieCrowder

If the link isn't working go to "Coaches Hotseat" and read the blog posting, the tab is at the top

3. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Once again, another article that goes into the history of realignment but fails to mention the first domino (Colorado -> Pac 10)

4. EddieCrowder

Agreed, I love how they say "Misery leaving, they could care less" and we don't even rate a mention

5. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

That guy really doesn't like Chris Petersen.

6. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

The guy is telling the truth.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

8. BuffNut99

[​IMG]

OUBuff likes this.
  9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Before I say a word about the Texas article, I want to give major props to the rant about Chris Petersen. It's about time someone slammed him for being small-time. Complaining about coaches being put on the hot seat? Cry me a river. They're being paid millions of dollars a year to perform on a big stage. This is why Petersen stays in his cozy Boise State situation with a small community and a protective local media. He can't stand the heat (just like Hawkins couldn't). He would completely fail if he went to a pressure cooker job like USC or Texas. *****.

That said...

Spot on with the analysis of the Texas situation. The powers that be in Austin knew damn well they couldn't get their LHN done if the likes of CU, NU, aTm and MU were all in the room lobbying and voting. UT intentionally weakened the conference for financial gain and they are paying for it. Dodds is a modern day Icarus.

The failure of the article to mention CU in all of this is mostly disrespectful but I'd like to think of it also as acknowledgement that CU would have gone to the Pac no matter what. That we're in the right conference for us and never fit in with the Big 12.

10. EddieCrowder

Excellent points Nik, I sent this link to my wife, I am sure she is going to be pissed. The article confirms what I have been trying to tell her since I started seeing the signs about 4 or 5 years ago

11. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

That may be what is going on at Texas but I still don't understand how that has anything to do with them getting blown out by BYU or looking like crap on the field. How is Texas football paying for their role in the implosion of the Big12? I'm missing the cause and effect.

12. b3buffs

b3buffs Club Member Club Member

I hate to be that guy, but some of it probably has to deal with his son's cancer and that one of the top hospitals in the country for treating it happens to be in Boise.

13. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Other than Mack being right and the time he spends doing LHN **** actually hurting his coaching and the team (not likely), I agree that it's probably coincidental. More likely Mack's time has come at UT and Dodds doesn't want to give him the ax.

14. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I think that is all fluff. Boise? Boise? has the top hospital for treating that form of cancer?

15. EddieCrowder

Let's face it Mack Brown's nickname isn't coach February because he is a X's and O's genius

16. b3buffs

b3buffs Club Member Club Member

One of my best friends' sister had treatment at that hospital for years before she died at 16. I'm not saying it is the whole story, but it does factor into it...

17. Buffnik

Didn't the son's doctor leave for a new appointment in Los Angeles or something? And Petersen turned down the UCLA job after that?

Most people are more loyal to the physician than the facility and it's not like LA is some sort of backwater for modern medicine.

18. dply

I think the hospital is probably great and maybe even because Boise is so small they can receive a different form of care. I just think LA would provide similar treatment facilities. I saw the story they did on him and his son and it seemed like a lot of hometown rah rah fluff.

19. BuffNut99

Texas went from having (the arrogance to have) a Great Succession Plan (Muschamp) to having to consider Major Applewhite as Interim Coach. I am enjoying this.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  20. Buffnik

Putting that Muschamp succession plan in place at a time when Mack Brown was at the top of his game and still in his 50s is part of the reason for the downfall. It undermined the organization. And, yes, it was Texas arrogance. They actually believed that they could keep someone at UT as a "Head Coach In Waiting" for the better part of a decade instead of him leaving for a lesser BCS head coaching job because, well, because it's Texas and it's better to be the beta dog there than the alpha anywhere else.

21. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Fixed for what actually happened.

22. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Amazing - texas fans act like they are something special. Kinda sad, they should have like 20 national championships and even more conference championships... hell, they should have never lost a game.

23. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

I do agree, that at times the AD pulls the trigger to fast on getting rid of a coach. Hot seat after two games. That is crazy.

Look back at Bear Bryants record and see in today's football world if he would have still been the coach at Alabama after consecutive 6-5 records. Today, he probably would have been fired with the excuse that the game had passed him by. He only went on to win 3 national championships.

24. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

25. BuffUp

26. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

27. BuffUp

We are living the dream. Well deserved though, we have been through a lot. Wait till atm and ou beat ut. It WILL be full on meltdown mode.

28. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

29. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

I thought they don't play aTm anymore? But the Red River Massacre will be priceless.

30. dply

Holy ****! That is real? I really thought it was satire by the website.

I like Mack Brown better now. He could post here.