What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Great read on the meltdown that is Texas Athletics

That guy really doesn't like Chris Petersen.

...Or punctuation.

I'm surprised that none of you highfalutin', grammar-lovin' a-holes around here have yet to provide your input on the author's love for run-on sentences.

I thought they don't play aTm anymore? But the Red River Massacre will be priceless.
yea, my bad. I just looked. I was hoping they would keep that Thanksgiving game. Growing up down there - it is all you heard about for a couple of weeks every year.

...Or punctuation.

I'm surprised that none of you highfalutin', grammar-lovin' a-holes around here have yet to provide your input on the author's love for run-on sentences.

Why do you replace your letter g's with apostrophes?

Amazing - texas fans act like they are something special. Kinda sad, they should have like 20 national championships and even more conference championships... hell, they should have never lost a game.

Amazing how a progam with so much talent could win so few national championships. Maybe the only comparable is ND.

Texas has historically taken their pick of the talent in the the entire state. In the past 20 years how many other teams have won NCs with key roles being played by Texas kids who were passed over by the whore-ens. Their one NC came as a result of having Vince Young carry them, easy to argue that virtually every other year they have underperformed their talent level.

I wonder why Texas went away from what worked with Colt McCoy in the first place? As someone who follows the TT, A&M, and OU programs due to family, this is just great! :thumbsup:

Amazing how a progam with so much talent could win so few national championships. Maybe the only comparable is ND.

Texas has historically taken their pick of the talent in the the entire state. In the past 20 years how many other teams have won NCs with key roles being played by Texas kids who were passed over by the whore-ens. Their one NC came as a result of having Vince Young carry them, easy to argue that virtually every other year they have underperformed their talent level.

Interesting question, how many in the past 10 years? Since Texas was terrible in the early 90s.

I just realized the big 8/12 of the 90s were close to today's SEC. 5 NC's in an 11 year span. Or 16 if you count A&M's.

How did Oklahoma State not win with Sanders and Thurman Thomas in the same backfield.

I wonder why Texas went away from what worked with Colt McCoy in the first place? As someone who follows the TT, A&M, and OU programs due to family, this is just great! :thumbsup:

The land thieve and cowgirl fans are enjoying the uTerus train wreck, but the all hope the bevo's win just enough games to keep mackeyB around for another year or two.

Your comment on McCoy caught my attention. I was talking with a boomer fan today (big into Rivals) and he pointed out that the UT teams under Brown have been serious underachievers except for the years with McCoy and/or Young. The 2001 team was a great example -- so much talent but then got outplayed by the Buffs in the CCG -- if Young or McCoy was the qb that year they probably play for a national title.

The land thieve and cowgirl fans are enjoying the uTerus train wreck, but the all hope the bevo's win just enough games to keep mackeyB around for another year or two.

Your comment on McCoy caught my attention. I was talking with a boomer fan today (big into Rivals) and he pointed out that the UT teams under Brown have been serious underachievers except for the years with McCoy and/or Young. The 2001 team was a great example -- so much talent but then got outplayed by the Buffs in the CCG -- if Young or McCoy was the qb that year they probably play for a national title.

They bent us over pretty bad earlier that year. I think we came in hot with the right amount of swagger.

McCoy is interesting because he was really just a 3*, back up recruit to their 5*, top target, Ryan Perrilloux, who ended up bailing at the last minute and going to LSU (where he flamed out in spectacular fashion).

They bent us over pretty bad earlier that year. I think we came in hot with the right amount of swagger.

BEFORE their QB controversy between Sims and Applewhite developed.

By the time the Buffs caught them in the B12CG, Mack Brown's recruiting promise to Phil Sims that his boy Chrissy, would play no matter what, was dividing UT. It was Sims' extemely poor play that boosted the Buffs in the first half and Applewhite almost brought them back, once Mack decided to switch. Okruch had no answer for the Major and Barney almost gave it up with his fake punt call. GB is the recipient of two of the luckiest breaks in CU big game history: Sims starting that game and the kNU fumble on the 5 yd line in 62-36!

By the time the Buffs caught them in the B12CG, Mack Brown's recruiting promise to Phil Sims that his boy Chrissy, would play no matter what, was dividing UT. It was Sims' extemely poor play that boosted the Buffs in the first half and Applewhite almost brought them back, once Mack decided to switch. Okruch had no answer for the Major and Barney almost gave it up with his fake punt call. GB is the recipient of two of the luckiest breaks in CU big game history: Sims starting that game and the kNU fumble on the 5 yd line in 62-36!
Chris Simms did not give up 350+ rushing yards to the Buffs that day, The Herd wanted it and took it.

Texas has historically taken their pick of the best talent in the the entire state as measured in their junior year of high school. In the past 20 years how many other teams have won NCs with key roles being played by Texas kids who were passed over by the whore-ens. Their one NC came as a result of having Vince Young carry them, easy to argue that virtually every other year they have underperformed their talent level.

fify........Many UT early commits peaked as HS seniors, while Mack missed out on many better players who showed strongly during their HS senior years, but were frozen out by early commits filling up the available schollies.

Too, Mack has hung with Maddog as S&C coach, despite him never growing much---except around the middle---as a coach. UT boards consistently assert he's done almost nothing to improve his players, other than pump iron to the max.

Chris Simms did not give up 350+ rushing yards to the Buffs that day, The Herd wanted it and took it.

Neither did the UT defense, CU's total offense that day was 330 yds---230 of it rushing; compared to UT's 460 yds.

With final score all of 39-37 and Chrissy giving up three interceptions,( inc. a drive-stopping 71 yd. return to the UT 12 and a pick-six) as well as a fumble, giving the Buffs the ball at the UT 22, Chrissy had more to do with that loss than any Buff.

Loved to see the Buffs win that one, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

You are playing revisionist history here. I don't think that there was any luck involved in the NU game. Stuff like this happens all of the time in every game in football. Part of the reason that Colorado built such a huge lead in the 1st quarter was because of two turnovers: 1 on downs and 1 fumble. You going to call that luck too? Colorado stomped NU fair and square.

fify........Many UT early commits peaked as HS seniors, while Mack missed out on many better players who showed strongly during their HS senior years, but were frozen out by early commits filling up the available schollies.

Too, Mack has hung with Maddog as S&C coach, despite him never growing much---except around the middle---as a coach. UT boards consistently assert he's done almost nothing to improve his players, other than pump iron to the max.

This is true, but Mack could have taken virtually anyone he wanted out of Texas all those years so the fault goes back to him and his staff.

Simple fact is that in Texas over the years many kids have taken the approach of looking at where they will go if UT doesn't offer them. UT has for the most part had first choice deciding who was going to be left out for others to pick from.

By the way lots of those kids who "peaked as HS seniors" have still ended up in the NFL.

Texas failures have not been a result of lack of talent.

Neither did the UT defense, CU's total offense that day was 330 yds---230 of it rushing; compared to UT's 460 yds.

With final score all of 39-37 and Chrissy giving up three interceptions,( inc. a drive-stopping 71 yd. return to the UT 12 and a pick-six) as well as a fumble, giving the Buffs the ball at the UT 22, Chrissy had more to do with that loss than any Buff.

Loved to see the Buffs win that one, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Very well, I was off on the stats, but I'll rephrase my point: Simms did not give up 6.1 ypc to the Herd, UT's D did, and running like that that is not luck. To use your logic, if Applewhite doesn't throw the bomb before the half on 3rd and long, it's 29-10 at the half or worse and the final score isn't even close. Also, CU was up by 10 with less than a minute to go.

Agreed, that first loss was not pretty. The Buffs were peaking when they hit that CCG; too bad they lost the momentum before the Fiesta Bowl.

You are playing revisionist history here. I don't think that there was any luck involved in the NU game. Stuff like this happens all of the time in every game in football. Part of the reason that Colorado built such a huge lead in the 1st quarter was because of two turnovers: 1 on downs and 1 fumble. You going to call that luck too? Colorado stomped NU fair and square.

Whenever I see replays of that game, I'm always amazed that the refs didn't catch the facemasking penalty on the first play from scrimmage. Could've changed the game from the start if the Buffs were flagged for 15 from the get go.

Last edited:

Definitely - Most teams need some luck to make it to BCS games, to win BCS conferences or to even win BCS national championships. It took all sorts of crazy upsets to send Alabama to the title game a couple years back (I think Iowa St had to beat Oklahoma St among other upsets). How about when Terrence Cody blocked that FG to beat Lane Kiffin and Tennessee? How about the end of the SEC Championship Game last year? And that's just a few examples with what many consider to be a modern day dynasty.

That said, didn't Cedric Benson get knocked out by his own lineman in that game, too? Talk about a big break!

the kNU fumble on the 5 yd line in 62-36!

Have you been visiting Husker fantasyland? Had Nebraska not fumbled on the goal line, CU would've scored at least 70 in that game--Nebraska's defense had no answers for Brown or Purify that day.

Do we really have a Buffs fan arguing that CU was lucky to win a game with a final score of 62-36?

That's a new level of stupid.

Back