1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatest College Football Moments...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 2HellNback, Dec 21, 2007.

1. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Courtesy of FSN: I was watching "Best Damn Top 50 College Football Moments" of all time.

Stewart to Westbrooks @ Michigan #3! :thumbsup:

Losing out to only,

#2, Doug Flutie Flake's hail mary (Boston College) and...

#1 "The play", of course... Cal shattering John Elway's hopes of playing in a bowl game, with the "controversial" knee down, forward lateral, and of course "The band is on the field, the band is on the field..." Cal wins.

2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

It's a shame - Stewart to Westbrook was a better and more difficult play than Flutie's. Consider:

Weather: at Miami - wet and miserable. At Ann Arbor - beautiful. Edge BC (only one)

Location: CU in the "Big House" - still more than 90K fans in the stands, screamin' for their defense when the play happened. BC in Miami, 70K+ at most. Edge CU

Distance: Flutie threw from around the BC 45, into the end zone, about 60 yards. Stewart threw from around the CU 30 yard line, to the goal line, about 70 yards. Edge CU

Defense: Miami's players bunched up at the goal line and failed to move back to the ball - it simply sailed over their heads. Michigan had several players at and behind where the ball came down and they were in position and trying to make a play. Edge CU (actually, Meechegan)

Reception: Phelan slipped behind the U's defense unimpeded and caught the ball uncontested. A CU receiver darted in front of the Mich defense, leapt, and tipped the ball - perfect execution under pressure. Westbrook, who had a split second to react, moved towards the tip, went airborn, and caught the ball with a defender on him. Edge CU

So, since Flutie won the Heisman and was a darling of all the media east of the Mississippi, the BC hail mary is always voted ahead of the Miracle in Michigan.

Score: Stewart - Westbrook 4, Flutie - Phelan 1

In my mind, ya can't beat the Miracle. :wink2:

3. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

No comparison. The MinM was much better than Flutie's play. The media has some sort of hard on for little Dougie. But nothing can take away from the euphoria we all felt when we won that game on that play. It'll always be number one in our hearts. And thats all that matters.

4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Greatest game I ever went to.

Another difference; Both Michigan and Colorado were undefeated at that time. The game began a strong march into the fall for the Buffs including a top 5/10 ranking.

Miami and BC were both out of the mNC picture at that point late in the year as both teams had losses. What did make it special is it cemented the Heisman for Flutie

5. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Any chance that the fact that one is a white QB and the other was a black QB would make a difference?

Nah, probably just the fact the the little guy did it and rode it to a Heisman makes it a bigger moment in the minds of most people who are not CU fans.

6. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

two words: east coast.

7. Saulbadguy

Saulbadguy Member

They also had the phantom clipping call on the Rocket Ismail return TD and the 5th down vs Mizzou (back to back)

8. DBT

:yeahthat: as well. Boston College is smack dab in the middle of ECB.

9. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

I think that along with the fact that the BC was a big underdog made a difference. David vs Goliath thing. You guys were pretty good at the time of your play.

10. 4DemBuffs

that was possibly the best team CU ever put on the field. '89 and '90 teams would be the others.

personally, i think the '94 CU team would beat the others but its more than debatable....

11. Coloradosker

Coloradosker Active Member

That would be some great games. My money would be on the 94 team as well since you had both an amazing running game and a QB who was comfortable passing. I think the defenses are pretty much even for both.

12. MiamiBuffs

The 94 team was the most balanced team of the three. Good on offense, good on defense. Playmakers at virtually every position on the field. That 94 team would have won an mNC if it had not encountered what is believed to be one of the best college football teams of all time.

13. 4DemBuffs

you know, i dont know what KS's passing stats were against knu in '94 but in '93 he was 8-28 if memory serves..... had he been 50% i believe CU would have won that game. but, whatever.... itchy fingers....:lol::smile2::wink2:

to your point, he was a better passer than hagan without question.

14. MiamiBuffs

Stewarts stats in 94 were just as awful. 12-28-0-150yds

The weather was pretty awful as I recall. Rain I believe. Not making exscuses. Here's what really killed us; Time of Possession CU 21:36 NU 38:24 That's year's NU D really shut us down. Charlie McBride (bastard) called a great game against his alma matter.

Here is Berringer's 12-17-1-142yds just for grins.

15. 4DemBuffs

best as i can remember, the weather was fine. and RS ran for well over 100 yards. most of it in the 2nd half, i think.

still one of the most dissappointing losses i can remember.

16. MiamiBuffs

That one hurt pretty bad. Sallam got 134 yards. Stats wise the only negative differences I saw were time of possesion and Berringers stats versus Kordell's

Oct. 29, 1994
    Lincoln, NE
    Colorado 0 0 7 0 - 7
    Nebraska 7 10 7 0 - 24

Neb--Schlesinger 14 run (Sieler kick)
    Neb--FG Sieler 24
    Neb--Childs 2 run (Sieler kick)
    Neb--Alford 30 pass from Berringer (Sieler kick)
    Col--Salaam 6 run (Voskeritchian kick)

Col Neb
    First downs 18 20
    Rushes-yards 37-155 53-203
    Passing 159 142
    Return Yards 7 9
    Comp-Att-Int 13-30-0 12-17-1
    Punts 6-38 6-38
    Fumbles-Lost 0-0 1-0
    Penalties-Yards 4-30 6-41
    Time of Possession 21:36 38:24
    RUSHING: Colorado - Salaam 22-134, Stewart 14-24, Troutman 1-(minus 3). Nebraska - Phillips 24-103, Schlesinger 8-65, Makovicka 3-32, Benninger 8-2, Childs 5-14, Benning 3-1, Muhammad 1-1, team 1-(minus 15).
    PASSING: Colorado - Stewart 12-28-0-150, Detmer 1-2-0-9. Nebraska - Berringer 12-17-1-142.

RECEIVING: Colorado - Westbrook 6-80, Lepsis 2-18, Carruth 2-28, Salaam 2-24, Savoy 1-9. Nebraska - Alford 5-78, Gillman 4-46, Muhammad 2-14, Phillips 1-4.

Att. - 76,131

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  17. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

I saw the Buff game against Texas that year. I think that the 1994 Buff team was better than the 1990 team. Just one unfortunate game in Lincoln.

I read recently that Coach Mac blamed himself for the loss....something to do with having the team wake up early every day to prepare them for the early start....

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I saw an interview around the time we spanked (n)Sorta Lame down in Tempe. Mac was asked and shook his head, and just said (of the nu game) "That's the worst I've ever prepared a team for a game" (or words pretty close to that). True to form, he took complete blame.

19. Coloradosker

Coloradosker Active Member

The weather was perfect for that game. If you recall there was a pic on the cover of SI from that game and it's bright and sunny. 92 was the halloween game where it was just awful. Cold, rain, later sleet. That was not a good day to be a buff fan.:smile2:

20. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

Major understatement. That was a complete choke on our part - that was our year and NU's was the following.

I agree that '94 team was our best. CU or any college team will have a hard time putting a comparable collection of position by position talent together in one team. All told, all but one starter started in the NFL at some point. That's 21 of 22 players.

I am not a huge Lou Holtz fan - but seem to remember him claiming after the Fiesta Bowl that that CU team was the best he had ever played against.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think he said that after every game.

22. DBT

He definitely said it before every game! "I jutht don't thee how we are going to win thith game. Thith ith the betht team we've ever fathed."

Coloradosker likes this.
  23. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

OK...but he really meant it one time. :smile2:

I wouldn't know - I always found him so annoying that I would immediately turn the channel. This might have been the only time I ever listened to anything he said.