What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Brown

I thought he did a respectable job in the 1st half. The 2nd half was terrible. I'm pretty sure Olatoye was suspended. With that said Vigo, Orms, Sandersfeld, Jaffee, Jered Bell, and Hawkins are all injured. THat is terrible luck
heard somewhere else olatoye was injured as well.

I thought he did a respectable job in the 1st half. The 2nd half was terrible. I'm pretty sure Olatoye was suspended. With that said Vigo, Orms, Sandersfeld, Jaffee, Jered Bell, and Hawkins and Harrington are all injured. THat is terrible luck

fify

:cry:

Nobody should get a pass but at the same time nobody should be held responsible for things beyond their control as well. Considering the injury situation and who we had available the staff didn't do a terrible job this game up until the last five minutes.

For a guy seeing his first appreciable time as a DB Espy wasn't terrible. He did give up a lot playing soft because he is simply not a good enough athlete to run with the better WRs at this level. BLock surprised me for a guy with basically one week at the position and is clearly a better athlete than Espy.

Polk is getting better every week and I do give Brown credit for this. He is responding faster, taking better angles, and making more plays. He still has a ways to go but looks like a guy who belongs playing at this level. Polk gets blamed for a lot that is actually him trying to cover up for the mistakes of others, a corner gets beats, Polk tries to come over an make up and ends up trailing the guy down field or being the closest when the ball arrives, how much this is happening exactly we can't know unless we know the coverage calls but I have seen a lot of these plays with the beaten corner having an Oh s***! look on his face.

Brown is not a great recruiter and never has been. He wasn't hired for his recruiting prowess. That said it is hard to blame him for the recruiting his last couple of years before he left for Arizona. Hawk was calling the shots on who got recruited and the DB classes didn't look a lot different than the rest of the positions on the team. Everyone knew that Hawk was the captain on a sinking ship and anyone with better options took them

Throughout the course of this game we rarely put any kind of pressure on the QB. Even with that I cannot understand going with the 2-3 man rushes at the end. When you have a fragile defensive backfield giving a quality QB loads of time is an invitation to disaster, it was invited and came in the door.

That all stated, Perkins is supposed to be you veteran safety, they guy you count on for leadership, to do the right thing. Instead the only thing that could cost us the game is a big pass play and who is sucking up and letting the WR get behind him. I will guarantee that Brown didn't tell him to do that, he simply screwed up, reflective of the entire team after 5 years of Hawkins "leadership."

I have said it before and will again. This team has multiple problems. The most obvious is a severe lack of talent, we are playing a number of guys who are truthfully more on par with FCS level players, to small, to slow, or simply not skilled enough. The toughest is an acceptance, expectation, and ingrained belief that losing is normal and will be the outcome.

I was fortunate enough yesterday to be close enough to hear the coaches working. They do not accept losing but getting that through to the team is going to take time and a lot of hard work. We are concerned about the number of seniors we are losing but in truth it may be a blessing in disguise the sooner we get the Hawk guys out of here and Embree guys in the sooner that part of the problem can be changed.

I wouldn't blame any coordinator for recruiting problems. Coaches normally recruit areas not position and coordinators get to be coordinators for game planning more than recruiting. Now your DC may suck but don't blame him for no talent. You people have to give this coaching staff some time. They can't undo five years of XCDHs intramural type program in one year. The one thing he has to do is recruit. If he can't bring in top 25 talent in your current situation he will not succeed. Do not give me the 'got to win first' crap or I will show you CNSs #1 class after going 7-6 and beating you guys in that ****hole in Louisiana. CJE may or may not be your guy but there is no way he can be blamed for all of your problems. Ya'll need to calm down and the man some time.

Alabama with Saban and 7-6 and Colorado with Embree and the disaster that was Dan Hawkins are two very different situations. But that doesn't really matter - you're right that we have to recruit top talent anyway. We have to sell PAC-12, playing time, and our better position coaches. Anyone who watched us yesterday will know about available early playing time, but may wonder about our coaching. That was an embarrassing performance.

4b900a91b01809f792f3c8d9cc0936fd.jpg

Didn't we lead the Pac 12 in sacks? We get pressure sometimes but when we really need to, we can't.

CU blitzes play after play and it amazes me how few times they get to the qb. When you blitz 60 out of 65 defensive plays, you're bound to get a few sacks. When they don't they get burned because this team sucks at tackling and our secondary due to piss poor recruiting is exposed.

We obviously torched Cal, but after JE was hired, I was hoping Brown would stick to being the DC and Ambrose would coach the D-backs. Gotta figure a 13-year NFL vet could help mightily in recruiting.

We obviously torched Cal, but after JE was hired, I was hoping Brown would stick to being the DC and Ambrose would coach the D-backs. Gotta figure a 13-year NFL vet could help mightily in recruiting.

Despite the handicap of working for Hawk I liked Ambrose, thought he recruited well and coached well. Think Brown is a better coach but Ambrose is good.

Chance that Cal has some turnover in their staff this year or next. If Ambrose becomes available would we want him back? Who's spot on the coaching staff would he take? I could only see it if one of the guys we have decided to move on.

CU blitzes play after play and it amazes me how few times they get to the qb. When you blitz 60 out of 65 defensive plays, you're bound to get a few sacks. When they don't they get burned because this team sucks at tackling and our secondary due to piss poor recruiting is exposed.

As with most things in football, if it works, it's genius and if it doesn't then the coaches are the biggest idots ever. The defense seemed gassed to me by the end of the game. The bliztes were taking longer and longer to get to the qb near the end of the game. Of course, the offense holding onto the ball for no time certainly doesn't help.

I'm disappointed but at the same time, I simply don't see how anybody can condemn the coaching staff after 5 games. Even if the W-L doesn't show it, it is better than the last several years.

Would someone please remind me who Ambrose recruited to CU either in 2010 or who he had on the hook for 2011?

I'm pretty sure Keenan Canty was his. Who else? I really can't remember.

As with most things in football, if it works, it's genius and if it doesn't then the coaches are the biggest idots ever. The defense seemed gassed to me by the end of the game. The bliztes were taking longer and longer to get to the qb near the end of the game. Of course, the offense holding onto the ball for no time certainly doesn't help.

I'm disappointed but at the same time, I simply don't see how anybody can condemn the coaching staff after 5 games. Even if the W-L doesn't show it, it is better than the last several years.

I haven't seen this team just flat out quit like they did over the last few years. They still have a lot of issues with focus and discipline but that is getting better.

This team is bad in a lot of ways and it's going to take a lot more than one year to fix the problems but I have seen improvement.

A game like yesterday makes it easy to be frustrated but in the big picture we have at least reason to hope for the future.

Would someone please remind me who Ambrose recruited to CU either in 2010 or who he had on the hook for 2011?

I'm pretty sure Keenan Canty was his. Who else? I really can't remember.

I don't miss Ambrose much, I don't really care to have him back in Boulder.

But we should be actively looking for a good DB coach (cough, Matt Lubick) during the offseason.

I don't miss Ambrose much, I don't really care to have him back in Boulder.

But we should be actively looking for a good DB coach (cough, Matt Lubick) during the offseason.

I think Lubick may be heading for bigger and better things. He seems to be working on the offensive side of the ball for Duke. Not sure how much they're paying him.

Brown as DC/DB coach without as many recruiting responsibilities is ok as long as the recruiting members of the staff (Kanavis, etc) deliver him the tlaent to coach... That is the plan. That said, its his goddamn fault he doesn't have better tools now.

Brown as DC/DB coach without as many recruiting responsibilities is ok as long as the recruiting members of the staff (Kanavis, etc) deliver him the tlaent to coach... That is the plan. That said, its his goddamn fault he doesn't have better tools now.

That plan is all fine and dandy, except it brings up two issues:

1. How long do the recruiters on the staff get to prove their worth?
2. The issue of hiring buddies and former Buffs becomes an issue if you have to let them go.

(Hint: Kanavis will get a long leash, earned or not)

That plan is all fine and dandy, except it brings up two issues:

1. How long do the recruiters on the staff get to prove their worth?
2. The issue of hiring buddies and former Buffs becomes an issue if you have to let them go.

(Hint: Kanavis will get a long leash, earned or not)

Is this a thread about Kanavis or Brown? Lots of good recruiters on the staff, Kanavis was mentioned just because of the recruiting connections and supposed promise he had.

Is this a thread about Kanavis or Brown? Lots of good recruiters on the staff, Kanavis was mentioned just because of the recruiting connections and supposed promise he had.

Brown and Kanavis are connected because we have two coaches on the DL and that might be the primary reason we do not have a DB coach. Kanavis has to do something on the recruiting trail sooner rather than later or it is time to re-evaluate the setup of the defensive coaching staff.

Brown and Kanavis are connected because we have two coaches on the DL and that might be the primary reason we do not have a DB coach.
thanks for explaining it. My question is that I don't see how DB coaching is our problem. Our problem is DB talent. the CB talent they recruited last year on the fly that isn't hurt seems to be playing early and well. Do we need an official DB coach to recruit DB's? I'm definitely willing to redo this convo after February, but so far I don't think the problem WITH THIS STAFF AND BROWN AT DC/CB (important caveat) is brown's recruiting NOW. It was his recruiting for HaLk that ****ed us.

thanks for explaining it. My question is that I don't see how DB coaching is our problem. Our problem is DB talent. the CB talent they recruited last year on the fly that isn't hurt seems to be playing early and well. Do we need an official DB coach to recruit DB's? I'm definitely willing to redo this convo after February, but so far I don't think the problem WITH THIS STAFF AND BROWN AT DC/CB (important caveat) is brown's recruiting NOW. It was his recruiting for HaLk that ****ed us.

I am more than willing to re-visit this conversation in February, but DB recruiting needs to get better starting with the 2012 class. I don't have the faith that the rest of the board has, so I guess we will see.

Alabama with Saban and 7-6 and Colorado with Embree and the disaster that was Dan Hawkins are two very different situations. But that doesn't really matter - you're right that we have to recruit top talent anyway. We have to sell PAC-12, playing time, and our better position coaches. Anyone who watched us yesterday will know about available early playing time, but may wonder about our coaching. That was an embarrassing performance.

Bama lost to La-Monroe and Miss St in CNS's first season. They players learned to lose under XCMS. It takes more than a couple of games to change that. Now if you believe you hired the wrong guy that is a different situation.

Bama lost to La-Monroe and Miss St in CNS's first season. They players learned to lose under XCMS. It takes more than a couple of games to change that. Now if you believe you hired the wrong guy that is a different situation.
Well, thought it was HCNS? And ya, I'm not worried yet. I'm giving this staff until a few games into next year before I start to get worried. And until year 3 before a final decision is made.

I appreciate the sentiment but it's a poor analogy. Saban had a proven track record at the college level. I still think Embree is a good hire but he simply doesn't have the cache, the facilities or the kind of support that Saban did when he went to the tide.

Again, I do not see us where we were when Hawkins got hired. We are not losing to Montana State, barely beating EWU or getting our asses handed to us by CSU or Toledo. This loss and the one to Cal suck but they were no where near as painful as what I have endured the last several years.

I appreciate the sentiment but it's a poor analogy. Saban had a proven track record at the college level. I still think Embree is a good hire but he simply doesn't have the cache, the facilities or the kind of support that Saban did when he went to the tide.

Again, I do not see us where we were when Hawkins got hired. We are not losing to Montana State, barely beating EWU or getting our asses handed to us by CSU or Toledo. This loss and the one to Cal suck but they were no where near as painful as what I have endured the last several years.

Even with all those built in advantages we got beat by teams we shouldn't in CNS's first year. It takes time to change the attitude of the program. Give your guy three years before the KIRC (Keep It Real Crew/complainers, bitchers, and malcontents who claim to 'keep it real') gets a foothold on you.

Even with all those built in advantages we got beat by teams we shouldn't in CNS's first year. It takes time to change the attitude of the program. Give your guy three years before the KIRC (Keep It Real Crew/complainers, bitchers, and malcontents who claim to 'keep it real') gets a foothold on you.

I'm definitely not in the mode of calling for anybodies head after 5 games. I don't want to fall into the trap some people did with Hawkins of saying, "Gosh, it took coach Mac x years to do this or that and he had some bad years so let's keep riding this out". Each coach and situation is different and it doesn't make sense to try and draw parallels. So far, I am happy with Embree's attitude and the fact that thing are getting better compared to the last few years.

Patiently waiting for the W's to start.

This weekend will be a measuring stick, do we compete? if so then we have the right staff. Do we roll over like we did at Cal? then we may have issues.

This weekend will be a measuring stick, do we compete? if so then we have the right staff. Do we roll over like we did at Cal? then we may have issues.

Sorry but you are nuts. Andrew Luck and the Cardinal are not a measuring stick for anything. I would like to see the Buffs compete this weekend but I am not going to be shocked if we get beat up, down and sideways.

Sorry but you are nuts. Andrew Luck and the Cardinal are not a measuring stick for anything. I would like to see the Buffs compete this weekend but I am not going to be shocked if we get beat up, down and sideways.
+1. :cry:

If Luck & CO DON'T tear us appart for 400+ yards, I'll be shocked. That's not a slight against Embree's system, it's a realization of the facts. Talent wise, our seconday is almost certainly in the bottom 10 nationally at the momment. If we are competitive it's because Stanford was snoozing for us, as we caught some lucky bounces.

Back