What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess which local school is trying to join the wac?

what about Northern Colorado?

they played several schools tough in BB (including OK on the road) last year, and by all accounts dominated the Buffs in a scrimmage. Thier FB team is doing pretty well too. And they have baseball and wrestling. In fact, if they were in a decent conference, CU could lose some recruits to them - the guys who want to play baseball or wrestle, along with football

There may also come a day when air travel costs mandate conferences be made up of schools within driving distance (CU, WYO, AF, NM, NMS, NE, UTAH) I'd take up bocce or golf or something)

Go Buffs!

She was also a very good actress in the one with Emilio Estevez, Sam Jackson and Captain Kirk. Can't remember the name of the movie, but she was like the head of the Wilderness Girls or something.

Loaded Weapon

Where did DU used to play its football games? And is that field still around?

Thanks in advance.

DU used to have an on campus stadium. Parts of it were still there in front of the old fieldhouse back in the 70's. That whole area got built over when they put in the Ritchie (sp.) center. They currently do not have room on campus for a football stadium or really even practice facilities.

Their athletic budget is pulled pretty tight right now just maintaining what they have. I seriously doubt that they could fund a decent football program unless they found some alums willing to kick in a big bunch of money (millions) each year to keep it going. I also doubt that they would hurt CU much if they did bring a program back, instead they might pick off a number of the lower level D-1 recruits that traditionally end up at CSU or Wyoming and some of the guys on the edge that end up at UNC.

DU used to have an on campus stadium. Parts of it were still there in front of the old fieldhouse back in the 70's. That whole area got built over when they put in the Ritchie (sp.) center. They currently do not have room on campus for a football stadium or really even practice facilities.

Their athletic budget is pulled pretty tight right now just maintaining what they have. I seriously doubt that they could fund a decent football program unless they found some alums willing to kick in a big bunch of money (millions) each year to keep it going. I also doubt that they would hurt CU much if they did bring a program back, instead they might pick off a number of the lower level D-1 recruits that traditionally end up at CSU or Wyoming and some of the guys on the edge that end up at UNC.

i worked at DU in 06 and 07 and i think what they have as a D-1 sports profile is about proper for them. i don't see how football makes money down there right now. there's a lot of money flowing down there and they've done a lot to raise a lapsed academic profile...but, i don't think football makes sense. what they have, is a nice "prep school" sports image (they beat Notre Dame in lacrosse a year or so ago).....coupled with hockey powerhouse. you can market that.

i don't see D-1 football at DU. to me, doesn't make sense. makes more sense to pump money into the law school and business college....so you get alums in the area with money and pull. for now.

being in the Sun Belt is a bad deal for them. to the original topic. like i said, and Urbana said...the WCC would be ideal. better yet, would be a post-superconferences private/west of the atlantic coast "southern ivies" privates conference. this sort of thing has been rumored for YEARS. when i was at Vandy, you heard about it. one the Vandy admins wrote a paper on it in the 60's....how Vandy gets out of the SEC, maintain academic integrity and remains sports competitive.

won't happen, but: Vandy, SMU, Baylor (once they lose out), Rice, Tulane, Houston (shady, on the academic thing), Davidson, maybe Tulsa (comparable to DU, better sports)...that would be a wet dream for Pio admins. although, Vandy is by far the best of those schools.

Last edited:
they played several schools tough in BB (including OK on the road) last year, and by all accounts dominated the Buffs in a scrimmage. Thier FB team is doing pretty well too. And they have baseball and wrestling. In fact, if they were in a decent conference, CU could lose some recruits to them - the guys who want to play baseball or wrestle, along with football

There may also come a day when air travel costs mandate conferences be made up of schools within driving distance (CU, WYO, AF, NM, NMS, NE, UTAH) I'd take up bocce or golf or something)

Go Buffs!

UNC's facilities prevent them from going to FBS ball and given how Northern Colorado hasn't supported the Rams and Bears that well, I'm pretty skeptical of UNC ever going FBS.

Ah, Necessary Roughness, one of my favorite sports movies. Good times.

The irony there? Texas State's first game was against Southwest Texas State, which is now Texas State. And the campus used in that movie was, yup, UNT. And thaaaaaaaaaats... the rest of the story!

DU should worry about the future home of their hockey team moreso than bringing back football. With Penn State going D-1 that makes 6 Big Ten schools with D-1 hockey. Big Ten Network looking for additional revenue sources (especially in spring time).

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

could be a damn good hockey conference (maybe throw in some other regional schools like Notre Dame, Nebraska-Omaha) and you would have a hockey conference that would be very popular on TV sets over the Big Ten footprint.

CC and DU (along with North Dakota if they aren't targeted) would be the best programs in a less than marketable conference. Hockey is different than other sports for sure, but ticket sales are all that matter and fans turn out for the Gophers, Badgers, and Sioux.

DU should worry about the future home of their hockey team moreso than bringing back football. With Penn State going D-1 that makes 6 Big Ten schools with D-1 hockey. Big Ten Network looking for additional revenue sources (especially in spring time).

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

could be a damn good hockey conference (maybe throw in some other regional schools like Notre Dame, Nebraska-Omaha) and you would have a hockey conference that would be very popular on TV sets over the Big Ten footprint.

CC and DU (along with North Dakota if they aren't targeted) would be the best programs in a less than marketable conference. Hockey is different than other sports for sure, but ticket sales are all that matter and fans turn out for the Gophers, Badgers, and Sioux.

I'm confused, there is no Big 10 Hockey Conference - Minnesota and Wisconsin are in the WCHA with DU, CC, UND and I think UNO is officially joining this season. Michigan, MI State and OSU are in the CCHA. I"ve not heard of any proposed realignment of college hockey.

I'm confused, there is no Big 10 Hockey Conference - Minnesota and Wisconsin are in the WCHA with DU, CC, UND and I think UNO is officially joining this season. Michigan, MI State and OSU are in the CCHA. I"ve not heard of any proposed realignment of college hockey.

I haven't heard anything about realignment in hockey. Plus the WCHA is year in and year out one of the best hockey conferences in the country.

I haven't heard anything about realignment in hockey. Plus the WCHA is year in and year out one of the best hockey conferences in the country.
I believe the point is that with Penn State adding a hockey program in a couple of years, the other Big Televen12 teams could split from their current conferences and form a Big Televen12 hockey league - with the accompanying Big Televen12 Network to broadcast games. It's conceivable that they could also entice Notre Dame and perhaps Miami OH to join their league. That would mean the potential need for reorganization of the CCHA and WCHA.

If they could keep CC, DU, North Dakota, Minnesota State, St Cloud and Minn-Duluth, the WCHA would probably be fine financially and competitively. The CCHA, on the other hand, could face some problems with the loss of Mich, Mich State, tOSU, and Miami OH.

I believe the point is that with Penn State adding a hockey program in a couple of years, the other Big Televen12 teams could split from their current conferences and form a Big Televen12 hockey league - with the accompanying Big Televen12 Network to broadcast games. It's conceivable that they could also entice Notre Dame and perhaps Miami OH to join their league. That would mean the potential need for reorganization of the CCHA and WCHA.

If they could keep CC, DU, North Dakota, Minnesota State, St Cloud and Minn-Duluth, the WCHA would probably be fine financially and competitively. The CCHA, on the other hand, could face some problems with the loss of Mich, Mich State, tOSU, and Miami OH.

^^^Agree with this^^^

DU and CC are both strong established powers in college hockey and the rest of the non-BigX schools in the WCHA are strong both on and off the ice. College hockey would provide the network some programing but not high revenue programing so it would not result in a lot of money coming back into those programs. The CCHA is the league that would have the most to lose in this deal. College hockey is still driven mostly by ticket sales not media revenue and much of the WCHA does not lie in the BigX Network footprint, ticket sales would not be effected greatly.

Back