What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guy on NB reporting EB is a done deal.

Ahem. I had forgotten about a bunch of that stuff.

that stuff I'm sure is being brought up by the factions on campus that will fight against Coach Mac coming back. And if you think people aren't gathering right now trying undercut a coach mac's candidacy you are being very naive. Not saying its fair and to me its much more minor than Coach Mac's time away from the game but its something that will be brought up against Coach Mac.

i flat out refuse to believe he is ready to be a head coach at any level

Why? He has been on 2 BCS schools staffs? He has been offered a coordinator position at USC, he has coached in the NFL.He has had the Vikings and UCLA give him pay raises to stay. The guy has been around, and like someone said, you want his passion as your leader. He may not have the playcalling experience yet, but as a HC you typically don't do that. I think he is ready. He will prove you wrong someday, I just hope it's coaching here that he proves you wrong.

I believe he got a DWI right before the 2001 season started, called Marcus Houston Marksheee, cusses a lot as a coach and got into some scuffle with a security guard/police officer as a player.

To be fair, Coach Mac's "baggage" (fairly or not) is much more than EB's baggage on the Boulder campus..

:lol: I think it was Markeesha. But I like "Marksheee."

he is running back/ associate head coach... the only reason he is an assistant head coach is for a title so the only way he could be hired away is a promotion... there are rules against lateral moves in the nfl

You think he is better at calling plays than leading men? I would rather him be the face of the program and the leader!

This, the most important characteristics for a HC at the college level are charisma and leadership. They need to surround themselves with solid OCs and DCs to coach and call the plays so the HC can concentrate on leading the program, recruiting and making sure all of the pieces fit together. If he can call the plays great, if he can hire a solid OC that can call the plays even better, it frees him up to take care of other areas.

he is running back/ associate head coach... the only reason he is an assistant head coach is for a title so the only way he could be hired away is a promotion... there are rules against lateral moves in the nfl

He is ready. He is amazing. He was the number 1 recuiter in the country the last time he coached college for crying out loud! Just think what his added experience in the NFL would do for that.

You don't want him in a booth, you want him on the sidelines. I like him better as HC than OC.

i flat out refuse to believe he is ready to be a head coach at any level

kind of with BCS on this, too many Blake parallels for me; let us not forget Minny is a ****ing train wreck right now. Actually a direct comparison to Blake isnt fair, more of Blake light, especially with the recruiting/coaching experience parallels.

fwiw, another poster (a long-timer, with some actual cred over there) debunked the eb thing in the thread and said no decision has been made and that eb isn't at the top of the list... yet.

i don't know either way... other than i know that the debunker has been around a long time and i don't know anything about the original poster who claims eb is a done deal.

Why are people excited about EB?

1. Recruiting - He'll be landing recruits from Texas to California. Don't think it will be lost on people that he has coached or brought into the fold, two of the best HB's in the national football league between Adrian Peterson and MJD. If EB was hired at CU, he'd be the only African American head coach in the conference. While I shy away from such distinctions, favoring the most qualified guy for the job (which I still think his resume is up there), this matters to African American families sending their kids into an uber-white hippy town like Boulder. It gives us a lot more credibility in the recruits home which is a place where we've lost recruiting battles over the past few years.

2. Offensive Identity - With his two most recent years in Boulder, EB's run game finished 7th and 8th nationally. His UCLA teams featured MJD pounding the rock, physically. There is nobody who runs harder than AD in Minnesota and those that try to classify EB's success as just having a very talented back, his first year in Minnesota, Chester Taylor ran for 1200 yds, exploding out of no where. We are going to bring in horse-power on the line, we're going to have some wide-bodied, talented, thick half-backs that we haven't seen since we were crushing Nebraska 62-36. The style of play which will resemble Stanford right now, has shown it will be a formidable foe in the Pac 12 which is used to airing it out. Couple that with Boulder being at altitude, something most western schools know nothing about AND colder fall temperatures, including snow, we will easily stand out and alone in our style of play.

3. Intensity - How many people are tired of the tired, soft as dog-**** appearance under the Hawkins years? How many people paid to see that at Berkeley this year? It won't last under EB. He will dog it out of you. Don't like it? Go play somewhere else. This is exactly the determination we see from coaches like Saban among others. THIS is the way to lead the kids. Keep them working 110% and disciplined.

4. R-T-D - Plain and simple, EB reconnects CU to it's glory years. He understands what the program was, and will see the big picture again.

5. Connections - The guy is going to have a wealth of connections in the game that will help load up CU's coaching ranks. Hopefully he'll reconnect with a DC who will return us to a dominant 3-4 style of team on defense.

kind of with BCS on this, too many Blake parallels for me; let us not forget Minny is a ****ing train wreck right now. Actually a direct comparison to Blake isnt fair, more of Blake light, especially with the recruiting/coaching experience parallels.

Whaddrya a racist???? :smile2: "Blake light..." Better watch the way you talk, son.

Hire EB now!

1. Recruiting - He'll be landing recruits from Texas to California. Don't think it will be lost on people that he has coached or brought into the fold, two of the best HB's in the national football league between Adrian Peterson and MJD. If EB was hired at CU, he'd be the only African American head coach in the conference. While I shy away from such distinctions, favoring the most qualified guy for the job (which I still think his resume is up there), this matters to African American families sending their kids into an uber-white hippy town like Boulder. It gives us a lot more credibility in the recruits home which is a place where we've lost recruiting battles over the past few years.

2. Offensive Identity - With his two most recent years in Boulder, EB's run game finished 7th and 8th nationally. His UCLA teams featured MJD pounding the rock, physically. There is nobody who runs harder than AD in Minnesota and those that try to classify EB's success as just having a very talented back, his first year in Minnesota, Chester Taylor ran for 1200 yds, exploding out of no where. We are going to bring in horse-power on the line, we're going to have some wide-bodied, talented, thick half-backs that we haven't seen since we were crushing Nebraska 62-36. The style of play which will resemble Stanford right now, has shown it will be a formidable foe in the Pac 12 which is used to airing it out. Couple that with Boulder being at altitude, something most western schools know nothing about AND colder fall temperatures, including snow, we will easily stand out and alone in our style of play.

3. Intensity - How many people are tired of the tired, soft as dog-**** appearance under the Hawkins years? How many people paid to see that at Berkeley this year? It won't last under EB. He will dog it out of you. Don't like it? Go play somewhere else. This is exactly the determination we see from coaches like Saban among others. THIS is the way to lead the kids. Keep them working 110% and disciplined.

4. R-T-D - Plain and simple, EB reconnects CU to it's glory years. He understands what the program was, and will see the big picture again.

5. Connections - The guy is going to have a wealth of connections in the game that will help load up CU's coaching ranks. Hopefully he'll reconnect with a DC who will return us to a dominant 3-4 style of team on defense.

bravo, bravo!!!

This worries me to. Let's take the nostalgia out of it and say EB never played or coached at CU. Now look at his resume. Would we still want him here as our next HC?

This worries me to. Let's take the nostalgia out of it and say EB never played or coached at CU. Now look at his resume. Would we still want him here as our next HC?

Yes, although I agree part of the fanaticism surrounding EB is familiarity, i.e.,the fact that lots of us are familiar with his career, as opposed to some guy you have to Google to know anything about. He is still my first pick. Worst case scenario? He recruits lights out, goes to a couple bowl games over the course of a five or six year tenure and leaves the cupboards very full for the next guy. Considering where we are at right now, I'll take it.

yep, the nostalgia is at the bottom of the list of why I want him here.

The guy is intense (something we've lacked), the guy is a helluva recruiter (something we've lacked), the guy has BCS experience (somethign we've lacked).

He was OFFERED the OFFENSIVE COORIDINATOR position at SOUTHERN ****ing CAL!!!

I will rep this post whenever the Junta refills my repstick.

yep, the nostalgia is at the bottom of the list of why I want him here.

The guy is intense (something we've lacked), the guy is a helluva recruiter (something we've lacked), the guy has BCS experience (somethign we've lacked).

He was OFFERED the OFFENSIVE COORIDINATOR position at SOUTHERN ****ing CAL!!!

YES I KNOW HE WAS OFFERED THAT! :smile2: Did Pete Carrol or Lane Kiffin offer that to him though? :wink2:

If Bohn hired EB under the circumstances I posted, AllBuffs would say a collective :wtf: and want to run Bohn out of town.

bravo is correct!! as much as I hate to compare but EB is like Pelini with the intensity and getting everything out of their players!!

I will rep this post whenever the Junta refills my repstick.

I will do it for you since I completely agree.

EB is an increadible passionate man. He is absolutely and completely dedicated to winning football games regardless of his capacity on the team. This ranges from being a star player at CU, to being a role player in the NFL, to various coaching positions at both the college and pro level. When he was younger EB's passion got him into trouble, he is so passionate that he made some people uncomfortable and in a few cases he could not control it himself and he had to deal with the consequences. As he has gotten old and matured the passion is still there but he seems to have developed a much stronger sense of self-control to channel that passion in a positive manner.

EB knows what it is like to be a star, he was one at CU. He also knows what it means to be a role player. As an undersized RB who lacked blazing speed by NFL standards he managed to stick around in the league for nine seasons, long after many more talented guys were long gone. He did this because he worked his butt off both on the field and in the film room. He learned everything he could about what the teams he was on did both offensively and on special teams.

The big thing for a HC is to be able to handle people and establish an identity for his team and motivate people to match that identity. From all reports I have seen people respect EB tremendously and he is a tremendous motivator.

I don't know if he is going to get the job here or not. If he does I will certainly not object since I think he is on track to get one somewhere and I think when he does he is going to win big.

that stuff I'm sure is being brought up by the factions on campus that will fight against Coach Mac coming back. And if you think people aren't gathering right now trying undercut a coach mac's candidacy you are being very naive. Not saying its fair and to me its much more minor than Coach Mac's time away from the game but its something that will be brought up against Coach Mac.

As it should be. I don't think it's minor. I dunno if Mac still feels that way or if he'd feel comfortable spouting stuff anymore, but I'd have a really hard time rooting for a team who's head coach is saying that sort of thing.

Yeah, I think that officially qualifies him as a nutbar (if he still believes that way). People are people, and you just aren't going to change the fact they might be different from you.

Back