What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hansen red shirt in 2009?

Just so it is clear, I was the first to suggest this; I think Hawk must be reading everything I write.:cool:

I think that they were watching to see if Tyler was heads and shoulders above Cody or not. If he was, then they would take the lessor experience and go with it. If they were prety even, then Cody is a great leader and has more experience, let him play it out and put a year between him and the next best QB, which is Tyler. That way, they can have Tyler learning as Cody is a Senior next year with more game reps, then Tyler has two full years to be the guy.

While it sucks for Tyler this year, I think it does tell us that the coaches see him as the QB of Colorados future, and they want him starting for two full years. Maybe three, if he keeps practicing hard and progressing, an early injury to Cody next year could mean he is the guy for three years. And early injury to Cody this year means that Tyler breaks the redshirt again and plays IMO.

Great post. :thumbsup:

So basically the coaches would be saying Cody is the QB for the next two seasons essentially. Would kind of blow up their whole "close QB competition" BS. If experience is the major worry with Hansen, then freaking play him! How else is he going to get experience?

Hard to argue with that. Who knows what goes on inside the heads of our coaches?

As long as any other QB is getting positive results in practice, people are always going to think CH gets preferential treatment. Fair or unfair, that is the way some people will see it. I just hope the Buffs notch 8 W's this year, no matter who is qb. It isn't my fanny if they don't. So if the coaches think CH is the man so be it, we'll see if they are right or not soon enough.

So basically the coaches would be saying Cody is the QB for the next two seasons essentially. Would kind of blow up their whole "close QB competition" BS. If experience is the major worry with Hansen, then freaking play him! How else is he going to get experience?

:yeahthat:
Besides isn't Clark Evans going to start next year? I thought I read that in a thread somewhere here.
:smile2:

If Cody is having a really tough year, then they put Hansen in. End of story.

Technically, Hansen could be the #2 QB and still take a redshirt. He'd only go in if Cody gets injured or plays really poorly. Hansen would still work with the 2nd team to be prepared if Cody goes down. If the game is in hand, they could always put in one of the Freshmen to hand off a few times to run out the clock.

:stupid:

The only way I'm remotely comfortable with this idea is if the option is there to pull the RS off Tyler and put him in if Cody is injured for a long period of basically ineffective over a long period. If there was a third viable option in the mix I might like the idea more. As it is, it sounds great in theory, but really puts all our QB eggs in Cody's basket if they aren't willing to go back to TH.... :huh:

like has been said earlier,.... This has the makings of a really bad ****storm. hope TH is ok with it. I was totally geeked on him after KSU last year, but unfortunately the staff didn't get him ready....

But ****, I hope he is ok with this. Especially with the idea that this staff WILL throw him into the fire if they have too. They have no choice...

Positive spin: one of the walkon QBs or CE have really improved and shown some good stuff and so the coaches are comfortable with them holding the reigns for short periods of time...

I think Hansen should redshirt, unless he's going to get the start this fall.

i agree that it is best for hansen-- if he redshirts, he'll be the odds-on favorite to start for his last 2 seasons here. if he transfers, he sits out a year anyway and he has no guarantee of starting or even competing for a job wherever he goes.

all that said, what happens if cody DOES struggle or he DOES get hurt? who hands off to scott, speedy, and company? this is where ballenger leaving really hurts the team.

i think if hansen redshirts, the staff ought to be very careful about asking him to burn it again later in the season if something goes wrong.

This post is not meant to disrespect Tyler at all. I just want to get that out of the way first. If Tyler Hansen transfers, I think it would be a big mistake and show a lot of immaturity on his part. If it was my boy, I'd encourage him to stick it out. Good things will happen. Look at the QB poll I put up a couple days ago. The writing is on the wall. Tyler is the future of this program. I just hope he's mature enough to realize this, and not make any crazy decision to walk from the program. Patience. Patience. Patience!

Why don't kids want to pay their dues anymore? I just don't understand it.

This post is not meant to disrespect Tyler at all. I just want to get that out of the way first. If Tyler Hansen transfers, I think it would be a big mistake. Look at the QB poll I put up a couple days ago. The writing is on the wall. Tyler is the future of this program. I just hope he's mature enough to realize this, and not make any crazy decision to walk from the program. Patience. Patience. Patience!

Why don't kids want to pay their dues anymore? I just don't understand it.

Can't blame a kid for feeling frustrated after he feels like hes turned the corner and then being told to sit down for (maybe) another 2 years.

However, I don't get that tone at all. Mostly just confused at this time. Could be (or get...) a LOT worse.

ALSO, don't forget if Cody manages the team well and we run as noted by the OC, this is a great move due to lack of QB depth.

So is this controversy or just wait-and-see? As was noted in the earlier QB thread, if CH has won the job, why not start the season with a plan to redshirt Hansen. If all goes well (read CH leads the team to new heights), the guy has three years of eligibility and the fast track to starting for an experienced, highly regarded team for two years.

If not, pull the redshirt. Nothing lost...

Can't blame a kid for feeling frustrated after he feels like hes turned the corner and then being told to sit down for (maybe) another 2 years.
If Tyler wanted the starting job, he needed to take it during Spring Ball. We all know he didn't preform well enough to take the job then. So heading into Fall Camp, the bar is raised so much higher.

I know it's a lame analogy. But look at boxing. If you want to beat the champ, you'd better knock him out, because most of the time, you don't see the challenger win the title in a decision.

Tyler failed to deliver the knockout punch. It takes more than a couple of solid weeks to unseat a starter. jmho.

If Tyler wanted the starting job, he needed to take it during Spring Ball. We all know he didn't preform well enough to take the job then. So heading into Fall Camp, the bar is raised so much higher.

I know it's a lame analogy. But look at boxing. If you want to beat the champ, you'd better knock him out, because most of the time, you don't see the challenger win the title in a decision.

Tyler failed to deliver the knockout punch. It takes more than a couple of weeks to unseat a starter. jmho.

Me and you agree on this. However, we aren't the one working his balls off to climb that mountain. Pretty hard to be so close and then get the door slammed on you. I don't blame him for being frustrated (if he is). Basically, I understand where he is coming from. I just hope he takes it as a challenge instead of a turning point toward bitterness. It is tough being told you aren't good enough (even if it is followed with a "yet").

On the good side of all this, If he sticks around, it sounds like we could have one hell of a QB coming down the pipeline.

Also, in the article(s) posted the other day - the one(s) that started the initial conversation about TH redshirting, TH was the one who brought it up...

Maybe that was him being diplomatic. Maybe he really has been thrown for a loop.

But this is a team game. Hansen, Hawkins... We can all debate who's best to start and why, but if neither has clearly established himself as head and shoulders better, its a debate, not a conspiracy, and I, for one, will go with the staff since they know f****** a hell of a lot more about the competition than any poster(s) on this or any other site.

No disrespect intended...

Are you talking about my line about paying dues?

I'm just sick of seeing kids transferring in and out of programs at the drop of a hat.
just saying we don't really know if he isn't willing to pay his dues yet. Doesn't sound like he is mad, just confused.

Me and you agree on this. However, we aren't the one working his balls off to climb that mountain. Pretty hard to be so close and then get the door slammed on you. I don't blame him for being frustrated (if he is). Basically, I understand where he is coming from. I just hope he takes it as a challenge instead of a turning point toward bitterness. It is tough being told you aren't good enough (even if it is followed with a "yet").

On the good side of all this, If he sticks around, it sounds like we could have one hell of a QB coming down the pipeline.

All good points. It's easy to stand on the side and criticize these kids. Especially on a internet message board.

I really believe he'll be a good one. Hang in there Tyler.

i hope he sticks it out. being the clear and overwhelming favorite to win the starting job for your junior and senior year at a big 12 school isn't something that would be easy to walk away from, i would think. i hope it works out.

i hope he sticks it out. being the clear and overwhelming favorite to win the starting job for your junior and senior year at a big 12 school isn't something that would be easy to walk away from, i would think. i hope it works out.
Clark Evan's cape disagrees with you.. Unfortunately everything else about him doesn't :lol:

Why don't we just look at it as them telling Hansen he is going to start the year as the backup? If Cody struggles and Hansen has to come in, he's the starter for the foreseeable future. If he doesn't he's got the RS year that he lost last year.

Clark Evan's cape disagrees with you.. Unfortunately everything else about him doesn't :lol:

maybe they'll burn evans' rs this year (if they need a sub qb) and then rs him next year... that would create more separation, too, right?

fingers crossed.

Why don't we just look at it as them telling Hansen he is going to start the year as the backup? If Cody struggles and Hansen has to come in, he's the starter for the foreseeable future. If he doesn't he's got the RS year that he lost last year.

:thumbsup:

ya, everyone might have overreacted a weeee bit. Just a bit tho. Maybe. :wink2:

maybe they'll burn evans' rs this year (if they need a sub qb) and then rs him next year... that would create more separation, too, right?

fingers crossed.
I see Lobato starting over Evans unless things have changed drastically. He needs a RS very badly.

So what happens if CU goes 9 and a half games into the season and Cody gets hurt and CU needs the last 2.5 games to win the North or qualify for a bowl. Do you burn Hansen's red shirt and then realize that he was denied valuable experience during the season????

I sometimes wonder about how things play out - I don't see the Buffs having a backup now that Ballenger is gone after Hansen - I hear during the off season how they want to play both to have a change of pace, now it is only Cody.

Back